Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: In 2019 - It's okay to not have BUIS on your defensive AR

Every time I went on duty, I flipped up the BUIS and confirmed that my RDS had not had a dot shift. That is a significant reason to have a BUIS, not to mention the inevitable Murphy induced electronic failure. My hard use pistol had an RDS, BUIS, and a green laser......
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

So, what do all you LPVO super studs do for back up sights?

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I'm no expert, but it seems to me that there are a couple of different options out there - you could go with either irons or a mini red dot on a 45-degree offset mount, or use one of those scope mounts that has a little bit of rail on top of the scope and put a mini red dot up there. Flip up irons and putting the LPVO on a quick detach mount could work, too. I think the fastest/most reliable to transition to in the event of a sudden failure would probably be the 45-degree offset irons, but if circumstances dictated that you had to use them for an extended period, that might not be great from an ergonomic perspective. Again, I'm no expert, so these ideas are worth what you paid for them.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    No super stud here. I’m just a regular stud. By I run 45 degree offset BUIS. I’ve also run a 45 degree MRDS.

Name:  368C9A97-F148-446D-98A1-CACB2DCB3AB6.jpg
Views: 1678
Size:  31.7 KB
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Every time I went on duty, I flipped up the BUIS and confirmed that my RDS had not had a dot shift. That is a significant reason to have a BUIS,
    ^ This is why I have a BUIS on my red dot rifles, to verify dot zero ^
    On my ACOG and Elcan topped rifles I don't use BUIS.
    Last edited by JodyH; 09-16-2019 at 07:14 AM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    In my experience, all of the “switched on” guys made sure they had BUIS on their rifles because they were terrified of being “that guy”.

However, I’d say 87% of those same switched on studs couldn’t be bothered to actually zero them.

Want to hear a large group of grown men cry and whine like 14 year old girls? Make a surprise announcement that their optics are all dead for the next four drills.

That there’s a no-shitter.
    Now you're just being a meanie.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    I work with 14yo girls on the daily. Want to make a room full of 14yo cry and whine? Take away their telephones.
    You know the Comanches would turn over their captives to the women to be tortured. You want to know why? You're about to find out.

I prefer having BUIS. I prefer having a full size spare tire in my vehicle as well. My "varmint" AR does not have BUIS. If the scope breaks, it would be annoying, but the consequence is just a hike back to the Jeep for the back-up rifle. A fighting rifle is a different story.

Rosco

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    However, I’d say 87% of those same switched on studs couldn’t be bothered to actually zero them.

Want to hear a large group of grown men cry and whine like 14 year old girls? Make a surprise announcement that their optics are all dead for the next four drills.

That there’s a no-shitter.
    That's surprising to me.

We have to qual with both irons and optics at each in-service.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I guess this is what we're doing now, faux-controversial troll posts?

Only thing I have to add is that just like Jay mentions, a lot of BUIS aren't actually zero'd. The flip side of that is not a lot of people have actually tried shooting with just the tube/window of their optic to see what they are actually capable of. if your use-case is interior residential structure distances you'd probably be shocked at how well you can do with the dot turned off and no BUIS at all.

User Tag List