Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: In 2019 - It's okay to not have BUIS on your defensive AR

Decided, significantly because of this thread, not to be "that guy" and installed a set of Magpul MBUIS on my SIG M400 Tread with a Romeo5. And properly zeroed 'em. While I may never need them, at least if I do, they're there and ready.

Best, Jon

Hammertime
    I just replaced the batteries in a bunch of Aimpoint Micros. Some of them had been on 6 years and still running.

But I still run plastic MBUS.

My home defense gun has an aimpoint so I'm not concerned with irons. Plus, if the aimpoint happens to go down and I have to shoot a thing at the farthest point in my house I'm looking at less than 25 yards, easy enough to point shoot through the optic body.

That being said, I wouldn't dissuade someone from running them.

Quote Originally Posted by smolphry View Post
    My home defense gun has an aimpoint so I'm not concerned with irons. Plus, if the aimpoint happens to go down and I have to shoot a thing at the farthest point in my house I'm looking at less than 25 yards, easy enough to point shoot through the optic body.

That being said, I wouldn't dissuade someone from running them.
    Have you validated point shooting through the optic body live at 25 yards?

How were your results?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post

How were your results?
    I have. With just the optic body and no front sight as a reference it's a soup sandwich. That's the main reason I prefer a fixed front sight. In the event of a dead optic, a fixed or deployed front sight is very useful, which is why I'm sure you prefer a fixed or deployed front sight as well.

Site Supporter

How were your results?
    I need to do this.
    My Armalite Defender 15 has the front sight assembly and an inexpensive Sightmark red dot sight that was a gift from my new son in law.
    It has BUIS installed which I shoot frequently with.
    With a new Sheriff starting in a couple of weeks, I am cautiously optimistic we can finally start a rifle program before I retire.

How were your results?
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    I have. With just the optic body and no front sight as a reference it's a soup sandwich. That's the main reason I prefer a fixed front sight. In the event of a dead optic, a fixed or deployed front sight is very useful, which is why I'm sure you prefer a fixed or deployed front sight as well.
    My experience was the opposite. I wouldn't attempt a head shot past a hostage, but burning down an A/C steel at 25 yards with no dot was cake when I tried it.

I still like BUIS. I think that the no-BUIS crowd are largely just contrarian wooden spoon snowflake millenials (or those who's brains have been poisoned by millenials) trying to trigger (those they see as) boomers.

On my red dot rifle I absolutely have a set of the plastic mbuis as true "oh fuck" backups. That said, on my rifle with a p4xi I do not have irons as the optic has an etched reticle. Maybe I'm dumb tho....I've been looking at 45 offset irons but have not made the purchase yet.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    if your use-case is interior residential structure distances you'd probably be shocked at how well you can do with the dot turned off and no BUIS at all.
    Having, in my youth, spent several hundred to thousands of hours behind a daisy with garbage sights that I learned to not use, I can confirm this as a possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by snow white View Post
    On my red dot rifle I absolutely have a set of the plastic mbuis as true "oh fuck" backups. That said, on my rifle with a p4xi I do not have irons as the optic has an etched reticle. Maybe I'm dumb tho....I've been looking at 45 offset irons but have not made the purchase yet.
    I've used the MBUS PRO offset sights and very much like them. Holding the rifle with a 45 degree cant is not as bad as it sounds, but still not as good as a normal vertical hold.

I too am using a low-powered optic as the primary sighting system with no BUIS. Though the mount I'm using is not QD, keeping an Allen wrench stowed in the grip is no biggie if I need to remove the optic. For this reason, I'm more inclined to use a non-offset set of BUIS - if the optic fails so badly that I can no longer use it, I'd prefer to remove it entirely and be able to use the rifle with conventional holds.

BTW, do you use the Pemi range?

User Tag List