Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: In 2019 - It's okay to not have BUIS on your defensive AR

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Canting the gun can definitely affect POI relative to POA. Anyone that’s taken a Kyle Lamb class has tested this for themselves and learned some rules of thumb to address it.

7 years ago, anyway
    https://www.tactical-life.com/lifest...arbine-course/
    How extreme are the deviations?

I’ve not found them to be super extreme BUT the vast majority of my time running a carbine has been on a square range with minimal movement, etc. So I’m hardly qualified to speak generally about things.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    How extreme are the deviations?

I’ve not found them to be super extreme BUT the vast majority of my time running a carbine has been on a square range with minimal movement, etc. So I’m hardly qualified to speak generally about things.
    pretty decent discussion here. "mag high" is what I remember from the VTAC class.
    https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/1...-100-and-200m/

Knowing when and how it matters and how much it matters is too unique to say in the commercial gunhobby world. If you have a super-high-mounted LPVO with a 50 yard initial intersection shooting Barnes whateverthefuckiscoolrightnow through a 20" barrel trying to hit a 4" steel plate at 200 yards and I'm shooting wolf ammocangrabbag with an absolute cowitness 30mm aimpoint zeroed at 100 yards through a stock 6933 at a n A/C steel at 50 yards we're probably going to see variations in the deviation and I'm going to get away with a lot more latitude than you are.

FWIW, taking a VTAC class and using the VTAC barricades under Kyle's supervision you really get a window into the thought that went into these things. People think the horizontal and diagonal stripe ports are just there to fuck with you, but they're really TEACHING aids.

After taking Kyle's class, and then going back and shooting through the barricades again in matches and drills, I'd typically put the dot on the target and press, and if I didn't get a hit or hits I'd adjust mag-high and generally would then get a hit.

I *think* at one time I went full gunfag and even did some testing on this, canting rifles on bi-pods, but I lack the interest to go looking for it now.
    Last edited by rob_s; 04-30-2020 at 09:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Canting the gun can definitely affect POI relative to POA. Anyone that’s taken a Kyle Lamb class has tested this for themselves and learned some rules of thumb to address it.

7 years ago, anyway
    https://www.tactical-life.com/lifest...arbine-course/
    FWIW, I'm not saying that canting the gun doesn't affect POI. I get that the sky is blue and earth is round. This seems like a self-evident thing to me, that canting the gun would change the POI.

I'm saying that I haven't seen it present itself as a problem when shooting guns without a FSB.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    FWIW, I'm not saying that canting the gun doesn't affect POI. I get that the sky is blue and earth is round. This seems like a self-evident thing to me, that canting the gun would change the POI.

I'm saying that I haven't seen it present itself as a problem when shooting guns without a FSB.
    which is why I wasn't quoting you, I was quoting the other guy.

it's not all about you.

Uh, well, sorry, I guess I missed where you quoted someone in that post.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post

And that may very well be due to you having a more consistent shooting position than I have. I have noticed that I will typically cant the rifle when prone and cant it differently when shooting from other positions. In the extreme, it is quite noticeable at 100 yards. As I try to run a lower 1/3 co-witness, I find that by taking that extra moment to ensure the dot is above the front post I have more consistent results.

User Tag List