Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: In 2019 - It's okay to not have BUIS on your defensive AR

Yes, I noticed that too. I think people mistakenly leave reviews under other products, which does lend to confusion.

My own review would include the following points;

1. I like the overall rifle handling qualities better with this lightweight scope package vs. some of the heavier optics I've tried
    2. The optical quality is more than sufficient, the view bright and clear
    3. The adjustable (and lockable) eyepiece allows me to focus the reticle razor sharp
    4. The long eye relief allows mounting the scope further forward, leaving full unhindered access to the CH
    5. The 2.2x magnification more than sufficient for the distances I typically shoot (200 - 300 yards)
    6. The scope works well at inside-the-house distances with both eyes open, especially with a WML to "pop" the reticle contrast on the target

I find the old cliché of "less is more" applies well to this setup. Never being completely satisfied with other scopes I had tried, I was tempted for years to give this one a try - I'm glad I finally did.

Looking back at this thread inspired me.

Boredom set in few days ago so slapped a 10.5 LMT 5.56 upper bought in the Gundemic of '12 onto a 2019 Aero pistol lower purchase then put the 2.5 Leupy on it with inexpensive Nikon P-Series MSR ring set.

If range at the Ranch is dry enough today, will establish a 50/173 zero w Hornady 5.56 62 gr TAP BARRIER.

Ideal set up JIC a toilet paper riot breaks out in the Wal-Mart parking lot.

Seriously, thinking about dropping a CMC trigger in it and maybe a folding mechanism. It's pretty dang wieldy.

Gonna need to keep some earpro in Mizriz Coldcase's Kia Soul, though...
    Last edited by coldcase1984; 03-29-2020 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Clarity
    "Backstabbers and window-lickers rise to the top of human organizations like oxygen-rich turds in a champagne fountain. I suspect it's been that way since at least the Bronze Age." _ Me. 2016

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    However, one of the reasons our FTU encourages a C-clamp grip is also because it places your thumb near the front sight, making it quick and easy to flip it up. Front sight + tube body is obviously a huge improvement.
    I initially read this as using your thumb as a field expedient front sight and immediately tried looking at my thumb through the LPVO. It actually sort of worked until my mind properly put together all the words I'd quickly skimmed and I started laughing too hard at what I was doing for it to be effective.

Question for anyone running a DD fixed front but no rear BUIS. How do you zero the front without a rear?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Question for anyone running a DD fixed front but no rear BUIS. How do you zero the front without a rear?
    I'm still running a rear folding BUIS, but if you didn't want to run one for some reason I would still mount one and zero them along with the optic, then you could remove it.

In the event of a dead battery, which I worry about 10x more than my Aimpoint itself actually failing, you can still get solid hits on target out to 50 yards and even beyond by just referencing the front sight through the optic, which serves as a rear sight of sorts. You just have to turn your optic off and spend some time at the range learning the POA/POI.

This thread certainly generated some discussion, thoughts, and even tech, didn't it?

A classic Socratic method application.

___

I think I mentioned it way back in this thread, but didn't find it.

I run my ARs with fixed front sight posts + tube optic. If my optic dies, I have, by default a ghost-ring iron sight setup. I turn my optic off and practice with it and have my front sight post zero'ed to 25, while my optic is zero'ed to 25 and I'm 1/3 lower co-witness. Basically, my dot floats right above my front sight post. Giving me an excellent dot reference point AND the ability to go back to the post without a dot no problem.

I ALSO have an MBUS flip-up rear sight and my optic is on a QD mount. I could rip it off and drive-on if I wanted to.

While I do not necessarily think that the back-up irons are wholly necessary. I do think they are useful and offer some advantages.

For instance - I know the zero of my front sight and the approximate height of my dot above my front sight post when the optic is zero'ed. A couple of times I've removed my optic to adjust something on the rifle and reattached the optic. To get my zero 'close' I just adjust the dot to the front sight post. Each time, I've found that this has resulted in an extremely close proper zero, usually only a couple of clicks of windage off. Meaning, if my fight had broken out in-between re-zeroing the optic at the range I would have been more than good enough to make hits with my dot.

I also agree with @Suvorov on the value of the front sight post to prevent canting the gun. If you don't have cross-hairs in your reticle, a horizontal plane can be difficult to establish. The front sight post provides a very good reference point in this regard (assuming it's mounted straight and level, of course).

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I also agree with @Suvorov on the value of the front sight post to prevent canting the gun. If you don't have cross-hairs in your reticle, a horizontal plane can be difficult to establish. The front sight post provides a very good reference point in this regard (assuming it's mounted straight and level, of course).
    This might be person dependent, but I haven't seen this present itself as an issue in shooting out to 300 yards, whether off-hand or from barricades.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I run my ARs with fixed front sight posts + tube optic. If my optic dies, I have, by default a ghost-ring iron sight setup.
    You can still do this, albeit not as well, with an EOTech. We have fixed front sight posts on all our work guns, including the sims guns, and EOTech XPS sights. One day during some force on force training I got handed a sims gun that had a dead battery in the EOTech. Since we had already completed the safety check, and no one had thought to bring spare batteries into the training area, I just centered the post in the window and went to work. At shorter ranges it was easy to get hits on a person. Funny thing is I don't even notice the front sight post when the red dot is on, and shooting both eyes open. I have an absolute cowitness setup on my work gun, and don't see any need for the whole lower 1/3 stuff for me, but I know everyone is different. My personal ARs do have MBUS on them though.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    This might be person dependent, but I haven't seen this present itself as an issue in shooting out to 300 yards, whether off-hand or from barricades.
    It probably isn’t that big a deal?

I like the horizontal plane of reference, but if you think about it - the barrel is concentric so any canting of the gun left or right is mostly just rotating the gun around that central axis. Because the grips are angled, I guess it’s possible to pull the muzzle up or down a bit if the gun is canted.

I’ve found at longer rangers cant can effect bullet placement by maybe 2” depending on how the gun is tilted. Probably not enough for it to matter in the real world.

Canting the gun can definitely affect POI relative to POA. Anyone that’s taken a Kyle Lamb class has tested this for themselves and learned some rules of thumb to address it.

7 years ago, anyway
    https://www.tactical-life.com/lifest...arbine-course/

It's 2020... all sights are obsolete. Hell, so are eyes. Just use the Force!

I've seen Murphy at work too many times in all areas of life to give up an unpowered secondary sighting system - even when my chance of ever being in armed confrontation is minuscule. A 45 degree RMR may do the trick, but even then, I'd probably still keep the irons anyway.
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

User Tag List