Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: In 2019 - It's okay to not have BUIS on your defensive AR

In 2019 - It's okay to not have BUIS on your defensive AR

Name:  3an3v4.jpg
Views: 1904
Size:  88.0 KB

Tell the truth - when was the last time you actually used your BUIS?

I know when last time I used mine was...when I installed them and zeroed them.

Since then I've needed them exactly zero times. I replace the battery in my Primary Arms Holosun-made reddot once every 8-weeks and leave it set on 3 or 4 out of 10. I've never had the dot actually die. But I turn it off at the range and shoot targets through the tube every time, just to make sure I can do it.

Here's an unpopular opinion - If you're running a hard-mounted optic you don't need BUIS.

Note the context DEFENSIVE AR15. If you're running a duty gun which may be employed for offensive purposes, you should probably have redundant sights, but only if you have a QD-mounted optic.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 09-15-2019 at 04:45 PM.

Because you're RevolverRob, you may have more folks agreeing with you than not.

Belt and suspenders. Is there any reason not to?
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Belt and suspenders. Is there any reason not to?
    That analogy falls pretty flat for those of us whose pants stay up on their own even sans belt.

On the actual topic, though, given the price of backup irons relative to the price of the rest of a "properly set up" AR, they do feel somewhat like a "might as well."

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Why have sights at all?
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

To each their own. I still maintain BUIS on my defensive rifles (and optic equipped handguns). They’re cheap and don’t take up much room. It’s a redundancy that isn’t necessary for most (but I’m not known for my good luck, so I make sure I have them).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    That analogy falls pretty flat for those of us whose pants stay up on their own even sans belt.

On the actual topic, though, given the price of backup irons relative to the price of the rest of a "properly set up" AR, they do feel somewhat like a "might as well."
    Mine came with Magpul BUIS already in place. I saw no need to remove them after I installed an Aimpoint H2. Batteries can fail. (Anything can fail, for that matter.) They certainly don't add much weight, nor create any issues for me personally.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post

When some crazy dude was shooting at us on a SWAT call out and my Aimpoint T-1 shit the bed in the middle of it.

Which is why I don’t trust anything electronic. For BUIS are a must on any gun I use to defend myself with. Duty use or otherwise.

Edit: he was eventually shot by one of our snipers.
    Last edited by Lon; 09-15-2019 at 05:35 PM.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Mine came with Magpul BUIS already in place. I saw no need to remove them after I installed an Aimpoint H2. Batteries can fail. (Anything can fail, for that matter.) They certainly don't add much weight, nor create any issues for me personally.
    This

If the only way to have BUIS was some expensive or difficult to get proposition, I might have agreed with little need for it. But the fact is something like the Magpul folding ones are cheap, easy to find, easy to install, take up little room on the rails, and never interfere with normal operation. Since Murphy generally strikes at the worst moment possible, covering the worst case scenario/black swan event is a smart thing to do to my way of thinking.

Certainly if someone prefers to do without, that’s cool, but it does not seem to be a bad thing to have a back up if everything fails (because as blues said above, everything mechanical will fail at some point. I don’t want that failure to come at the precise moment I am fighting for my life.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

In my experience, all of the “switched on” guys made sure they had BUIS on their rifles because they were terrified of being “that guy”.

However, I’d say 87% of those same switched on studs couldn’t be bothered to actually zero them.

Want to hear a large group of grown men cry and whine like 14 year old girls? Make a surprise announcement that their optics are all dead for the next four drills.

That there’s a no-shitter.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post

Every time live rounds go down range. If things were ever bad enough that I needed a rifle, there's no sense in assuming everything is going to go smoothly after that point.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

User Tag List