Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Thread: Which revolvers are you carrying and in what carry rig?

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    Thank you for the update. I look forward to the results.

Since I’m thinking about it, I figured I’d pick your brain. I’m currently carrying a 442-1 in an Aholster pocket holster. It’s nice and svelte and works pretty well for me. How does an LCR handle being shoved in your average jeans front pocket? I’ve got a sneaking suspicion that the Hogue Bantam Boot grips might be a requirement, but I’ve no way to test that right now.

Pretty much. With the stock grips, I can run them in most of my dress pants pockets, but jeans are a no-go. The Bantams are a must for that, but damn, those suck when it comes to actually shooting the thing. I am currently at the point where in jeans I just go to another option - either SmartCarry or a Dark Star Gear Apollo. I am also experimenting with ankle carry since so much of my time is spent at a desk or in a vehicle, so ankle carry may actually work better for me in a number of contexts.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

This is the closest to an EDC set up for me. It's a retired cops' setup. I have the Cobra loaded with the 38 Spl +P HST inverted wadcutter and Winchester PDX for a reload. Also use an HKS D frame speedloader loaded with the Winchesters. Crossdraw rig, I'm a left handed person, but carry it on the strong side at 10 oclock. It covers nicely with a Filson wool vest, or Sports coat. I love this Colt it has a great action, have the Colt night sight on the front and it holds six. Sacrificed my Sp101 for it, a worthwhile trade as no Kentucky windage with this gun, it shoots where you're looking.

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Burch View Post
    Pretty much. With the stock grips, I can run them in most of my dress pants pockets, but jeans are a no-go. The Bantams are a must for that, but damn, those suck when it comes to actually shooting the thing. I am currently at the point where in jeans I just go to another option - either SmartCarry or a Dark Star Gear Apollo. I am also experimenting with ankle carry since so much of my time is spent at a desk or in a vehicle, so ankle carry may actually work better for me in a number of contexts.
    I keep meaning to order a SmartCarry and keep forgetting. I’ll have to do that soon and experiment. Do you find the draw to be easier from the pocket or from a SmartCarry?

Site Supporter
    I keep meaning to order a SmartCarry and keep forgetting. I’ll have to do that soon and experiment. Do you find the draw to be easier from the pocket or from a SmartCarry?
    I’ve alternated a Smartcarry and pocket with a Jframe for a long time: it depends on the particular pair and cut and material of the pants, the belt, how tight your belt has to be to hold up the pants, how big your gut is. A number of things, and you pretty much have to experiment to find out how it’s going to work on your body.

Cecil’s a bigger guy than I am, so his experience is going to probably look a little different than mine.

Pocket carry by far.

Accessibility with SmartCarry is dependent on a lot of factors. The worst aspect is for a snag free fast draw, you need both hands,, which can be problematic. And in any kind of compressed position - like sitting at your desk or in a car - you have to either contort and make a big body motion or you have to use your strong side foot the same way you would initiate a hip escape in BJJ. Again, that can be problematic in some contexts. I find with pocket carry even sitting I generally only need to roll my strong side hip up and I can get a pretty good and smooth draw.

Its all checks and balances. I have found that with SmartCarry, I can carry in really tight NPEs, to a decidedly greater extent than in a pocket, but I give up easy access. To date, I have found times when the pocket was best, times when SmartCarry was, and times when an ankle holster made the most sense.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Burch View Post
    Pocket carry by far.

Accessibility with SmartCarry is dependent on a lot of factors. The worst aspect is for a snag free fast draw, you need both hands,, which can be problematic. And in any kind of compressed position - like sitting at your desk or in a car - you have to either contort and make a big body motion or you have to use your strong side foot the same way you would initiate a hip escape in BJJ. Again, that can be problematic in some contexts. I find with pocket carry even sitting I generally only need to roll my strong side hip up and I can get a pretty good and smooth draw.

Its all checks and balances. I have found that with SmartCarry, I can carry in really tight NPEs, to a decidedly greater extent than in a pocket, but I give up easy access. To date, I have found times when the pocket was best, times when SmartCarry was, and times when an ankle holster made the most sense.
    Makes sense. For as tight an NPE as my work place is, it might make a ton of sense. I wouldn’t have to disarm prior to going into work if I could make it work well enough. Dress is business casual with jeans, so it shouldn’t be too difficult. I just need to get off my butt and order one.

Name:  4DC39077-60F2-4403-8C58-B3F89D734802.jpeg
Views: 804
Size:  37.0 KB
    Name:  C191A544-90F3-4974-B07F-3F4A34FE5B22.jpeg
Views: 821
Size:  41.6 KB

No idea why it rotated that one pic.

JMCK AIWB. Neomag RASC.
    Last edited by Lon; 12-01-2019 at 08:17 PM.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Zeke38 View Post
    This is the closest to an EDC set up for me. It's a retired cops' setup. I have the Cobra loaded with the 38 Spl +P HST inverted wadcutter and Winchester PDX for a reload. Also use an HKS D frame speedloader loaded with the Winchesters. Crossdraw rig, I'm a left handed person, but carry it on the strong side at 10 oclock. It covers nicely with a Filson wool vest, or Sports coat. I love this Colt it has a great action, have the Colt night sight on the front and it holds six. Sacrificed my Sp101 for it, a worthwhile trade as no Kentucky windage with this gun, it shoots where you're looking.

What holster is that?

I carry the following...

I carry the following each and every day...
    https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearm...-crimson-trace
    https://charterfirearms.com/collecti...cover-blue-dao

The Smith is carried in a DeSantis® #001 Pancake holster at 4 o'clock and the Charter® in a Galco® Ankle Lite™. Ammunition for both guns is...
    https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/h...cal-defense#!/

Name:  IMG_20191124_141919192 (1).jpg
Views: 703
Size:  85.4 KBName:  pix722414493.jpg
Views: 676
Size:  42.9 KB

Bought this on Gunbroker and it's been back to Charter Arms 3X. They finally re barreled it because they couldn't file the side of the front sight any further. They then polished and re-blued it giving it a nice shine. I enjoy shooting and carrying this lightweight old 3" Bulldog and if my pockets are deep enough - like Carhartts and some others I can even pocket carry it. Most of the time I carry it in a Mernickle holster at 3 o'clock.
    Last edited by Grizzly; 12-05-2019 at 12:00 AM.

User Tag List