Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Which revolvers are you carrying and in what carry rig?

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Well I’m pretty sure we know where that dang A Bomb is we kinda lost track of...

Kidding.

Back to Revolvers. I have two plastic soulless pistols and an LCR.

I finally saw a Ruger GP100 Model 1771 in the gun case this weekend. I liked the look of it a lot.

Is there any down side to one of these? I just want it. Idk, to just shoot? Nightstand gun maybe?
    I bought a 4" GP100 last October and 1700 rounds later it has been the gun I carry the most. That's because most of the time that I carry a gun, I'm going into the National Forest a mile from my house.

I love it. Wadcutters and standard pressure .38 loads are little more recoil than a .22. Rhino roller 158 grain Magnums are manageable with the right grips. Shooting a 4" .357 revolver has re-ignited my passion for the gun. After putting in serious time with a DA revolver, I'm shooting everything else better.

Having said that, I would eschew the 7 round version. Speedloaders are not widely available, and there have been reports of some types of ammunition not fitting in the cylinder.

To answer the original question, I carry the GP100 in a either a Bianchi Cyclone or Simply Rugged Sourdough Pancake.

My other revolver is a Smith 638 that I carry in either a Desantis Nemesis or Desantis AIWB holster.

I'm evaluating the idea of an "in between" revolver, which might be a 640 Pro, an SP101 3", or an SP101 Wiley Clapp.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Just a 442 performance center tuned with a chopped Hogue grip riding in a Elite Survival Systems pocket holster.... nothing special.

Mostly carried as a BUG or gym shorts gun.
    Last edited by schaffer88; 09-18-2019 at 08:06 PM.

640 Pro in a pancake thumb brake leather rig at 4o'clock.

So comfortable it's easy to forget it's there.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I bought a 4" GP100 last October and 1700 rounds later it has been the gun I carry the most.
    This one?

https://www.ruger.com/products/gp100...eets/1762.html

Regarding seven-shot GP100 revolving pistols, I will add my voice to the chorus expressing concern about speed loader availability, and some cartridge case rims being unable to fit into the available space, in the cylinder. I have stayed with six-gun versions of the GP100, my newest being a lightly-customized Wiley Clapp edition, acquired pre-owned.

The higher-capacity GP100 that has my attention is the eight-shot Super GP100, which is actually built on the Super Redhawk frame, which has the GP100-dimension grip frame stud. I have handled one, and definitely caught a case of G.A.S.; Gear/Gun Acquisition Syndrome. It is not the physical appearance that won my affection, as it is ugly, but the handling, oh, the handling; a true revolving battle pistol. Sigh.
    Last edited by Rex G; 09-18-2019 at 09:52 PM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Well I’m pretty sure we know where that dang A Bomb is we kinda lost track of...

Kidding.

Back to Revolvers. I have two plastic soulless pistols and an LCR.

I finally saw a Ruger GP100 Model 1771 in the gun case this weekend. I liked the look of it a lot.

Is there any down side to one of these? I just want it. Idk, to just shoot? Nightstand gun maybe?
    No. I'm pretty much a S&W fan, but there's nothing at all wrong with a GP100.

(But seriously, dude, you're expecting any other answer in this section?)
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Regarding seven-shot GP100 revolving pistols, I will add my voice to the chorus expressing concern about speed loader availability, and some cartridge case rims being unable to fit into the available space, in the cylinder. I have stayed with six-gun versions of the GP100, my newest being a lightly-customized Wiley Clapp edition, acquired pre-owned.

The higher-capacity GP100 that has my attention is the eight-shot Super GP100, which is actually built on the Super Redhawk frame, which has the GP100-dimension grip frame stud. I have handled one, and definitely caught a case of G.A.S.; Gear/Gun Acquisition Syndrome. It is not the physical appearance that won my affection, as it is ugly, but the handling, oh, the handling; a true revolving battle pistol. Sigh.
    I have the 2.5 in 7 shot. Yes it is ammo "sensitive" doesn't like Magtech, but I don't particularly like magtech. It does chamber PPU without a problem for practice. Anything loaded in Starline Brass is good. Any Remington ammo is good. I am not particularly concerned about the documented ammunition issues. HKS speedloaders for the L frame work but more often than not I just carry some rounds for reload with a strip.

Right now this GP is my favorite. When I do my part it is very accurate and I have done just a little work to it to smooth it up and done a lot of dry fire. It carries very well.

This one:

https://ruger.com/products/gp100/specSheets/1702.html

Despite the fact that I live in SW Washington, I bought a blued revolver because I have hopes that some day it will look as cool as @Malamute 's
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    This one:

https://ruger.com/products/gp100/specSheets/1702.html

Despite the fact that I live in SW Washington, I bought a blued revolver because I have hopes that some day it will look as cool as @Malamute 's
    I can send you a small bottle of abrasive dust to help the process, but really, one just needs to have the ability to look at a gun thats been in the rain, snow, dirt, whatever, wipe it off with your sleeve, shrug your shoulders, stick it back in the holster and carry on. It does take a number of years of daily carry to see the effects, bit it seems most of my poor guns suffer from the effects of the dust if they get carried much.

Ive also just never liked the look of stainless guns. id rather see an old badly neglected blued gun than a brand new stainless one, so I live with the consequences of that preference. A pocket carry gun is about the only one I care for stainless in, but the one ive been carrying the past 2-3 years is blue, so....
    Last edited by Malamute; 09-19-2019 at 10:54 AM.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Name:  20190919_190333.jpg
Views: 871
Size:  104.0 KB

S&W 49 in a city special

User Tag List