Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: They drew first blood, not me!

They drew first blood, not me!

Name:  20191216_134917.jpg
Views: 1259
Size:  23.2 KB

It was a lot worse when i was out shooting. It took about 80 rounds of magnums to open me up. Rethinking vz grips...

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    {Whispering} Goodyears!
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

A covered backstrap becomes, for me, a necessity for long strings of magnum shooting with S&W's and prevents the top of the grips and the frame from slicing my hand.
    Last edited by oregon45; 12-16-2019 at 09:23 PM.

The only hard open backstrap revolver grips that don’t bite me eventually are Spegel’s stunning wood grips.

One reason I have a slight preference for Rugers. But they don't make an equivalent to the K-frame anymore. And even the Six series would have had this issue too.

Sure is taking them a while to come out with that 6-shot LCR everyone's been asking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

They seem to have a poor fit at the top, leaving sharp frame edge exposed unnecessarily. I liked my Smith grips to fit the frame as well as possible, with little or no step in the transition from wood to steel and no edges exposed like that. I worked most factory grips down to fit better and have better contours. Being wide right at the top helps also, most custom grips seem narrow there, right where your hand takes the pounding. Sort of backwards.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Site Supporter
    The grips Uncle Mike’s used to sell were ideal, covering the backstrap but adding very little to the trigger reach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    They seem to have a poor fit at the top, leaving sharp frame edge exposed unnecessarily. I liked my Smith grips to fit the frame as well as possible, with little or no step in the transition from wood to steel and no edges exposed like that. I worked most factory grips down to fit better and have better contours. Being wide right at the top helps also, most custom grips seem narrow there, right where your hand takes the pounding. Sort of backwards.
    I ordered two pairs of the new style RB Magna type stocks from S&W last year.
    They do not fit my older Smith Ks well at all.
    They hurt even with .38s after about 50 rounds.
    Disappointed.
    Fortunately, I have plenty of rubber grips on hand for shooting. I prefer the Magnas with a grip adapter for carrying them concealed.

Site Supporter
    Though it's considered heresy by most shooters, the original small Pachmayr Presentation grips work really well with S&W Magnums. Of course, they've been discontinued for years, I guess because few shooters shoot magnum revolvers DA and the large versions work better in SA. Numrich usually has a good supply of the small ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    {Whispering} Goodyears!
    On an L frame.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

User Tag List