Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Compact and Lightweight, Scout-like, .308 Bolt Gun

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    Either the Steyr or Ruger GSR will allow you to mount a traditional scope. The Ruger requires that you remove the rear aperture sight to use the included Ruger rings but it’s only held on by one screw. The Steyr is considered the ideal but I like my GSR and it shoots sub inch 100 yard groups if I do my part.
    The Steyr does allow mounting a traditional scope but the mounting set up / spacing is less than optimal both in terms of eye relief and bolt knob clearance.
    Last edited by HCM; 09-17-2019 at 12:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    I'm seriously tempted by the Savage 110 scout, not the 11. Both guns use a standard pattern of holes for mounting scope rails and iron sights so if you prefer you could replace the forward rail and rear sight with a conventional rail and sights from a Hog Hunter model. Or maybe you could convert a Hog Hunter to take the 110 scout mags. I would be surprised if that was a difficult swap.

There's is an Australian company making 9-round mags for the .308 BLR but I don't know if they can be had in the US. And the mags are expensive AF.

I would pay absurd amounts of money for a 5.56 lever action that took AR15 mags. Or grab a Remington 7615 Police if they were reliable enough for their intended role.
    Wow, I didn't even realize Savage made a scout...but I'm a babe in the woods when it comes to bolt, and lever guns. Thanks for the Savage suggestions, will be checking them out.

But speaking of lever guns, that BLR is an absolute beast..a beautiful beast. It is almost too nice. I am used to Glocks and AR's which I slap around as needed ...that BLR is a work of art that I'd be afraid to manhandle. Actually, that stainless takedown looks pretty tough...I don't know, I could see that BLR being a total impulse buy if I see it in a store. It looks like one can get a scope base for it too. Too bad about no higher cap. mags that are easily obtained though.

I'm surprised that there aren't more modern lever guns that use mags though.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I would research this and the several similar products to see how well they actually work:

https://www.redsnake-tactical.com/
    Intriguing for sure, thank you very much for the lead!

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    Tikka is the answer you seek.

The hard work and research has already been done.

In Spades.

Man, that is super legit! Thank you for your hard work!

I tell you something...that Tikka, it may be hard to beat.

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    As has been pointed out, neither rifle forces you to do anything of the sort. I am less familiar with the Steyr (too expensive for me, and no left hand version), but the Ruger comes with traditional scope rings in the box. (If you want to retain BUIS, that's when things get trickier with the Ruger.) Now if you want to use a forward mounted optic, these two rifles are the most common ones that enable it in stock form, which is why you tend to see these with those sort of optics on them. But they work just as well with traditional scopes, too.

The Ruger Scout magazines are AICS pattern. Several folks have reported success using Magpul magazines.

If it's the same company that makes 10 round T3 magazines, that guy will ship globally. The magazines are, as you said, extremely expensive though.

Over on the scout rifle forum, there has been some discussion on the difficulties of making a bolt action rifle run properly using a magazine meant for a semi-automatic rifle. Not sure how much of that was justification after the fact when the Ruger Scout was released and it did not use AR-10 magazines, though?
    Excellent info, thanks.

they look quite good! but I see no prices advertised...I may email them at some point

Quote Originally Posted by MK11 View Post
    As mentioned, the Ruger GSR gives you the option of either forward mounting or traditional mounting for an optic. The Ruger rings require removing the rear sight but you can put on an XS mount that offers both conventional scope placement as well as a back-up ghost ring.

I like mine a lot although I sometimes wish I had opted for the 18 inch barrel. Mine also won't consistently pop primers on 7.62x51. The polymer mags are better in every way than the gargantuan and rough feeding factory metal mags.
    That's some good info on the GSR thank you. That XS sight system seems like a no brainer. What makes you miss an 18" barrel if you don't mind me asking?

Is there a fix for the light primer strikes on the 7.62x51?

Quote Originally Posted by 1911Nut View Post
    I own a .308 caliber Steyr Scout and currently have a Leupold Mark 4 1.5 - 5X20mm MR/T scope in Talley rings mounted in the traditional, over the action position. It works quite well. And so does a Leupold FX-II Scout IER 2.5x28mm scope mounted in the forward position.
    Well there you go. Thanks for the clarification. I'd love to see a pic of your set up if it isn't too inconvenient.

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    I read the Practical Rifle circa 2016 thread forwards and backwards while making a purchase decision with similar criteria that you laid out. The only other thing on my list, and it was a "must have", is a factory threaded barrel for use with a suppressor. I ended up with the 20" Tikka T3x CTR in 308 (JRTXC316).

It does everything you're looking for out of the box without modification, but is a bit heavier than the Lite Compact. The Lite Compact is stated at 6.6lbs and the CTR is listed at 7.5lbs. That said, it has 10rd steel mags and comes with an optic rail. The rail is a must have, so those couple ounces will need to be added to the Lite Compact base weight, making the difference even smaller. The 10rd mags are something I can appreciate as well.

My CTR with Vortex Razor Gen II-E 1-6, Warne Maxima rings, Rhodesian Sling, stock pack, and SilencerCo Omega suppressor comes it at exactly 11lbs unloaded on our digital bathroom scale. It's no mountain gun, but it's absolutely perfect for what I need. I am, however, planning to sell the 21.5 ounce Razor 1-6 and replace it with something lighter.

That's a sweet set up for sure. 7.5lbs isn't too bad. The more I think about it, since it will be carried in the truck, a 20" barrel may be just fine. I was thinking of getting a barrel cut down to 16.5", which would also save weight. I also do have an AAC suppressor that I was planning on putting on it at times, hence the other reason to get a bbl cut down. Well, I don't know, that bears further consideration. I could of course just see how it works for me with the 20" bbl for awhile.

Many thanks for the responses everyone.

I am leaning Tikka, but there are some other really good options too. I'm planning on buying at Christmas so I have some time to deliberate.

For a scope I'm thinking a NF 1-8x, the "budget" one, not the ATACR..or maybe the ATACR, depending on what I'll end up wanting to consign or trade, or look for a FFP 2.5-10X of some sort. Any good suggestions for a FFP 2.5-10x?

User Tag List