Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 LastLast

Thread: Compact and Lightweight, Scout-like, .308 Bolt Gun

Quote Originally Posted by FNFAN View Post
    Do it! They're beautiful and elegant! I love my Steyr .243!!
    If it had been a .243, I might have caved.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    If it had been a .243, I might have caved.
    The .243 and 6.5x55 for me are the magic 'sweet spot' of rifle calibers. I don't like hard kicking rifles, which is strange as I've shot many, many rounds of shotgun slugs with recoil similar to a magnum rifle. I inherited a Winchester pre-64 .270 featherweight and find it obnoxious to shoot, so it never sees any use. It may be more of a stock geometry/length of pull thing rather than foot lbs of recoil, but I know I enjoy the .243 much more.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Quote Originally Posted by FNFAN View Post
    The .243 and 6.5x55 for me are the magic 'sweet spot' of rifle calibers. I don't like hard kicking rifles, which is strange as I've shot many, many rounds of shotgun slugs with recoil similar to a magnum rifle. I inherited a Winchester pre-64 .270 featherweight and find it obnoxious to shoot, so it never sees any use. It may be more of a stock geometry/length of pull thing rather than foot lbs of recoil, but I know I enjoy the .243 much more.
    I still have my first “deer” rifle from my teenage years. A Mossberg 800b... in .243. I understand the limitations of the cartridge, but you can still get a lot done with 100gr core-lokt and a kind word, so to speak. And I totally get what you say about recoil. Funny that: I find 1911s with 230GDHP and medium frame Blackhawks with 255gr Keith semiwadcutters to be pleasant, and a Kimber K6s to be tolerable with .357, but a 6.5lb .308 gets my goat. I’m just not A very hardcore rifleman.

Man, now I’m thinking about that Mannlicher Bavarian carbine in .243...

Currently by the ocean in CA and on the move to a more free state. Three more years!
    I moved to Texas at 17 and ended up working on a fairly big ranch where we shot everyday. I had a Winchester M70 in 30/06 which was great for hunting, but not so much fun to shoot 15 or 20 times a day on the ranch. I ended up finding a nice Remington 700 BLD in 6mm Remington and it became my lightweight, do all rifle. It has a 2x7 Leupold in Talley mounts. I have taken lots of deer and piles of pigs with the rifle. It needs a new barrel now, but is otherwise still in great shape.

I really like the concept of a general purpose bolt action and put it to use for many years in Texas. I understand why the .308 is an appealing caliber, but feel it is more important to be accurate. If another caliber lends itself to that function, then that is what the user should choose.

Having said that, one of my favorite exploring rifles is one of the first "Black Raven" Ruger Gunsite rifles in .308. That rifle is a soft shooter for me, go figure.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by ECVMatt View Post
    I moved to Texas at 17 and ended up working on a fairly big ranch where we shot everyday. I had a Winchester M70 in 30/06 which was great for hunting, but not so much fun to shoot 15 or 20 times a day on the ranch. I ended up finding a nice Remington 700 BLD in 6mm Remington and it became my lightweight, do all rifle. It has a 2x7 Leupold in Talley mounts. I have taken lots of deer and piles of pigs with the rifle. It needs a new barrel now, but is otherwise still in great shape.
    One of the nice things about 6mm Remington is that it would have needed a new barrel a lot sooner if it had been a .243 Winchester. I keep thinking about finding a cheap Howa in .243 and having it rechambered to 6mm Rem AI.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

There is a .308 Sako Bavarian carbine at my friendly LGS right how. It’s giving me night sweats. What a lovely and quality piece.
    Those carbines are sweet. One of the best handling rifles I’ve ever owned is a 1943 Mauser Oberndorf Sporting Rifle. A buddy found 3 old rifles rusting away in a closet in a property he bought (including a Garand) and gave me the Mauser. Chambered in 7X57, the barrel was rusted out and areas of the stock were suffering from dry rot. But the action was solid, the double set trigger was incredible and the rifle mounted and pointed like magic. I had it restored, re-barreled in 6.5X55 and everyone who handles it is blown away by the feel, the balance of it; a great example of mid-century German engineering and manufacturing. Before & after:

Name:  5F10E649-02E0-49D3-B202-F4D890916213.jpg
Views: 619
Size:  64.2 KB

Name:  B001BF2D-F4AE-4AF0-82E0-7FC844256867.jpg
Views: 589
Size:  41.6 KB

Site Supporter
    There is a .308 Sako Bavarian carbine at my friendly LGS right how. It’s giving me night sweats. What a lovely and quality piece.
    Woof. That gun gives me a special kind of thirst.

If my LGS had one in .243 I'd throw out my shoulder with how fast I reached for my wallet.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    Those carbines are sweet. One of the best handling rifles I’ve ever owned is a 1943 Mauser Oberndorf Sporting Rifle.

Name:  B001BF2D-F4AE-4AF0-82E0-7FC844256867.jpg
Views: 589
Size:  41.6 KB
    Ohboyohboy... getting kinda warm in here...

Someone bought the Mannlicher-stocked .308 Sako Bavarian at the LGS, in June, before I got my funds deposited. Just as well, as I did not “need” such a beautiful rifle.

The very well-preserved, pre-owned Jeff Cooper Signature Steyr Scout, with proper scope, at the LGS, is still there. The asking price is too high, but they might well have some wiggle room, especially as the package is not complete with box and accessories. The lack of available extra standard-capacity .308 magazines, from ANY source, also makes me hesitate. I have not asked, but I doubt that the third sling swivel is included, and the sling, on it now, is not the original Ching Sling, included with Jeff Cooper signature-package Scouts.

I see that Midway USA has .308 BLR mags in stock. It may be best to buy a few, and remain faithful to my BLRs.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Someone bought the Mannlicher-stocked .308 Sako Bavarian at the LGS, in June, before I got my funds deposited. Just as well, as I did not “need” such a beautiful rifle.

The very well-preserved, pre-owned Jeff Cooper Signature Steyr Scout, with proper scope, at the LGS, is still there. The asking price is too high, but they might well have some wiggle room, especially as the package is not complete with box and accessories. The lack of available extra standard-capacity .308 magazines, from ANY source, also makes me hesitate. I have not asked, but I doubt that the third sling swivel is included, and the sling, on it now, is not the original Ching Sling, included with Jeff Cooper signature-package Scouts.

I see that Midway USA has .308 BLR mags in stock. It may be best to buy a few, and remain faithful to my BLRs.
    Any idea why Styer discontinued the standard capacity .308 mags ?

User Tag List