Page 15 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Compact and Lightweight, Scout-like, .308 Bolt Gun

While you can build up a practical rifle on a model 70 action, and I have a number of them, it is hard to make a reasonable weight with the Winchester action. And, you won’t get features like a DBM, and the sight flexibility that we have come to enjoy with AR style rifles. If the new Sig rifle is what they say, this may be a way to get AR style features in a practical rifle weight. I really am rooting for them.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    While you can build up a practical rifle on a model 70 action, and I have a number of them, it is hard to make a reasonable weight with the Winchester action. And, you won’t get features like a DBM, and the sight flexibility that we have come to enjoy with AR style rifles. If the new Sig rifle is what they say, this may be a way to get AR style features in a practical rifle weight. I really am rooting for them.
    this thing?
    https://www.sigsauer.com/store/sig-cross-rifle.html

I know I won't buy one. For me, and I suspect I'm not alone here, there's a certain aspect of intentional anachronism. I don't have any sort of "need" for any of this, and "chassis" guns like the Sig are just wronger than two boys...

I’m cautiously optimistic. How fast can a shooter run the bolt on a chassis gun?

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    I’m cautiously optimistic. How fast can a shooter run the bolt on a chassis gun?

Okie John
    Not following — would taking an action and replacing a conventional stock with a chassis change how it runs?

Not following — would taking an action and replacing a conventional stock with a chassis change how it runs?
    I’m talking about cycling the bolt manually. I've read that going from a conventional stock to an M-16 pistol grip changes the geometry and slows things down.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

" I've read that going from a conventional stock to an M-16 pistol grip changes the geometry and slows things down."

FWIW, I just dragged out my one chassis gun and tried rapid cycling. My sense is that the pistol grip doesn't really change things, or at least it is a small effect relative to whether it's a two lug or 3 lug bolt, how smooth the action is, the size and shape of the bolt handle, etc, etc.

When I'm trying to cycle a bolt gun fast, I usually don't wrap my thumb around the pistol grip, whether it's a conventional or AR-type gripped stock, so there really isn't all that much difference in manipulation.

But, I didn't get out the stopwatch or anything. The chassis gun is a long barrelled Savage that weighs 12 or 13 pounds, vs my other fast handling bolt gun, which is a 16 inch Ruger American Ranch, so the grips aren't the biggest difference in handling :-).

I have practical rifles built on modern controlled feed Winchester actions, and a bunch of hunting rifles built on original, pre 64 actions. I have been hunting pre 64 rifles for 25 years, and took rifle classes like Gunsite and Cain, with post 64 controlled feed .308 rifles. I think of the difference in actions, as like the difference between a 50’s - 70’s S&W revolver, and a lock S&W revolver. The original actions feed much better because their feed lips are integral to the action, their actions are slicker, and their triggers are better. To keep a reasonable weight with a pre 64 action, I go blind bottom metal, a fluted barrel, a Brown Precision stock, and one piece bases and rings. That creates compromises.

If the light chassis rifle works out, meaning accurate, reliable and a fast action, we have a mid 6 pound base rile that can change personality like an AR. For example, you could set it up with a VX6HD scope and a five round magazine to sheep, goat or deer hunt, then when you are packing meat around bears, go to a T1 and a ten round magazine. It is all concept now, and the proof will be how it performs in the field.

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    I’m talking about cycling the bolt manually. I've read that going from a conventional stock to an M-16 pistol grip changes the geometry and slows things down.

Okie John
    Like whomever mentioned above, running the bolt quickly with a pistol grip is technique based. A smooth action and light bolt lift helps as well.

Here’s an example of some smooth bolt running (A 20ish pound gun doesn’t hurt either!)
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B1uteMPA6bP/

The CA VTAC rifle shoots well, but the brake is too loud and has to go. That’s OK as I was going to use a can anyway. First 3 rounds with Barnes 150 TTSX (6X @ 100 yds):

Name:  3D78ECA0-D154-41BC-9DF3-333C9B4B08E0.jpg
Views: 629
Size:  35.2 KB

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    If one was going to just build a rifle on the Savage/Remage/Howage model, which would you choose?

Suppose an AR barrel builder well-repected for acccurate, durable and reasonably-priced products was talking about building an 18-in., threaded, melonited, Savage barrel in 6.8? Would that sway you?
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List