Page 14 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Compact and Lightweight, Scout-like, .308 Bolt Gun

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    There is a Franchi Momentum .308 bolt gun at the Cabela’s up the road from me.
    Gun feels good in the hands and has most of the attributes I am looking for.
    22” barrel, reasonable weight, and hinged floorplate mag. No controlled feed or irons are the downside for me.
    Has what appears to be a one piece Weaver Mount. Asking $499.
    I have a crappy 2.5 Simmons scope and tons of scope rings to play with if I buy it.
    I found a video review of this rifle. The reviewer had some difficulty operating the bolt smoothly on occasion.
    Went back to Cabela’s last night and played with the rifle some more.
    Two position safety does not lock the bolt and the bolt cycling is very stiff for me.
    Picked up a .243 M70 featherweight from the next rack and cycled the bolt. Smooth as silk.
    My own M70 ‘06 has spoiled me.
    The search will continue for now unless I decide to stick with the ‘06 and sell all the .308 cases and loaded rounds..

@SteveB, what’s the rig weight now as setup with the rings sling and 1-6?

8 lbs 13 oz.

That's awesome, I look forward to your impressions though considering they only had two in stock last I looked I may just have to jump on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    That's awesome, I look forward to your impressions though considering they only had two in stock last I looked I may just have to jump on it.
    It was three left until I got one.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Mt Olympus, Los Angeles, CA, United States
    I don’t see the point of push feed in a bolt action. Controlled round feeding is hard to find in shorter actions, so my bolt guns start with .30-06. Here is my M1950 Mannlicher-Schoenauer in .30-06 Springfield, serial number 2295, currently topped with a vintage 1x Nickel scope in Recknagel mounts, to be replaced with an Aimpoint Micro T-2 and a pivot-mounted 6XMag-1. The double set trigger is getting replaced by the standard two-stage pull variant.

Name:  2295g.jpg
Views: 751
Size:  17.9 KB

Name:  2295a.jpg
Views: 809
Size:  19.7 KB
    Michael@massmeans.com | Zeleny@post.harvard.edu | westcoastguns@gmail.com | larvatus prodeo @ livejournal | +1-323-363-1860 | “If at first you don’t succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed.” — Curly Howard, 1936 | “All of old. Nothing else ever. Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.” — Samuel Beckett, 1984

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    That's one kick-ass rifle.

Does anyone else just keep clicking on this thread every time there’s activity in the hopes that someone posted a link to Winchester’s website showing a new M70 featherweight with iron sights and a threaded barrel?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Does anyone else just keep clicking on this thread every time there’s activity in the hopes that someone posted a link to Winchester’s website showing a new M70 featherweight with iron sights and a threaded barrel?
    I didn’t before but I am now.

Quote Originally Posted by zeleny View Post
    I don’t see the point of push feed in a bolt action. Controlled round feeding is hard to find in shorter actions, so my bolt guns start with .30-06.
    The point is that push feed actions are cheaper to manufacture than CRF actions. Whether push feed actions work for you personally is another question. As to the availability of CRF short actions, both Winchester and Ruger make new CRF short action rifles; they, and many used rifles, are readily available.
    Last edited by SteveB; 12-29-2019 at 10:20 AM.

User Tag List