Page 13 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Compact and Lightweight, Scout-like, .308 Bolt Gun

The Steyr Scout muzzle has a Euro thread pitch of 1/2-20; not helpful for US muzzle devices. Steyr does sell an adapter; gives you 5/8-24:

Name:  30AADA90-8766-4253-B197-1F088DC1A7EB.jpg
Views: 1031
Size:  23.3 KB

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Silencerco also makes a 1/2-20 to 1/2-28 adaptor. Seems a little weird to be that small on a .308, though. Is that a 6.5 something?
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    6.5 was “too easy,”
    too easy because why? Flatter trajectory and less drop to worry about, or something else?

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    too easy because why? Flatter trajectory and less drop to worry about, or something else?
    Simplified wind reading.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Silencerco also makes a 1/2-20 to 1/2-28 adaptor. Seems a little weird to be that small on a .308, though. Is that a 6.5 something?
    6.5 Creedmoor

I’ve been embarrassed to mention this because it is so incredibly uncool. But...

About ten years ago I decided I “needed” a lightweight .308 that could be used for everything from meat gathering to defense. I’m not a prepper, but I do believe in self reliance and I knew my usual 5.56 would be marginal in those roles. I wanted something cheap, minute of pie plate accurate and lightweight. Fuddy was ok.

I ended up with a 22” barreled Stevens 200 with a factory FDE rubber stock (swapped out from the grey one it came with, my one vanity), a blind mag (one less thing to lose in the field) and a Nikon 1-4x in a one piece base and rings combo.

It met my needs for a bottom dollar rifle, and I liked how it turned out enough that I did a second in .223.

No cool kid points, but I figure I can anchor anything within 300M if needed. I’ve only shot it out to a lasered 470M.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    There is a Franchi Momentum .308 bolt gun at the Cabela’s up the road from me.
    Gun feels good in the hands and has most of the attributes I am looking for.
    22” barrel, reasonable weight, and hinged floorplate mag. No controlled feed or irons are the downside for me.
    Has what appears to be a one piece Weaver Mount. Asking $499.
    I have a crappy 2.5 Simmons scope and tons of scope rings to play with if I buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I’ve been embarrassed to mention this because it is so incredibly uncool. But...

About ten years ago I decided I “needed” a lightweight .308 that could be used for everything from meat gathering to defense. I’m not a prepper, but I do believe in self reliance and I knew my usual 5.56 would be marginal in those roles. I wanted something cheap, minute of pie plate accurate and lightweight. Fuddy was ok.

I ended up with a 22” barreled Stevens 200 with a factory FDE rubber stock (swapped out from the grey one it came with, my one vanity), a blind mag (one less thing to lose in the field) and a Nikon 1-4x in a one piece base and rings combo.

It met my needs for a bottom dollar rifle, and I liked how it turned out enough that I did a second in .223.

No cool kid points, but I figure I can anchor anything within 300M if needed. I’ve only shot it out to a lasered 470M.
    Don't be.

Two of the smallest groups I have ever shot in my life with rifles have been with Savage rifles, with stocks barrels, that I did the JB & Kroil treatment with. If I find the targets I will post them.

One particular rifle, my .308, was an old long action that I put in a factory laminate stock. I exclusively shot 175 SMKs through that gun, topped with a Weaver 4-16 target scope. A couple guys made condescending remarks when they saw that gun come out of the case when I was younger, shooting at public ranges. They did not however, when I pulled targets.

In fact the best shot on a game animal I ever made was with that rifle. Certainly not the farthest, but I still consider it my best. My state police partner and I were deer hunting. Long story short he spots a deer bedded down. It took me almost 5 minutes of him directing me onto it for me to find it. All I could see was the head. Right at 400 yards. He had phenomenal eyesight. Anyways, I proned out with my rifle over my pack and rear on a sand sock. He backed me up with his .300. I did my math twice and got the same firing solution (firing on an angle). Finally after about 10 minutes, I sent a 175 grain SMK right into the Mule Deer's ear.

The deer's went down, and a leg appeared. I have made much longer shots, but I have always considered that my best one.

Savage/Stevens can be some absolute outstanding guns.

The only reason I sold my heavy barrel Savage .308 was I needed to do so to fund my "Bucket list" dream .308, the SAKO TRG. Otherwise, I never would have.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    Don't be.

Two of the smallest groups I have ever shot in my life with rifles have been with Savage rifles, with stocks barrels, that I did the JB & Kroil treatment with. If I find the targets I will post them.

One particular rifle, my .308, was an old long action that I put in a factory laminate stock. I exclusively shot 175 SMKs through that gun, topped with a Weaver 4-16 target scope. A couple guys made condescending remarks when they saw that gun come out of the case when I was younger, shooting at public ranges. They did not however, when I pulled targets.

In fact the best shot on a game animal I ever made was with that rifle. Certainly not the farthest, but I still consider it my best. My state police partner and I were deer hunting. Long story short he spots a deer bedded down. It took me almost 5 minutes of him directing me onto it for me to find it. All I could see was the head. Right at 400 yards. He had phenomenal eyesight. Anyways, I proned out with my rifle over my pack and rear on a sand sock. He backed me up with his .300. I did my math twice and got the same firing solution (firing on an angle). Finally after about 10 minutes, I sent a 175 grain SMK right into the Mule Deer's ear.

The deer's went down, and a leg appeared. I have made much longer shots, but I have always considered that my best one.

Savage/Stevens can be some absolute outstanding guns.

The only reason I sold my heavy barrel Savage .308 was I needed to do so to fund my "Bucket list" dream .308, the SAKO TRG. Otherwise, I never would have.
    Savages are good guns, tne embarrasing part is thinking 5.56 is “marginal” for self defense.

Osage has the VTAC version of the Christensen Arms BA rifle on sale for $1000 off.

https://osagecountyguns.com/firearms...71-488481.html

I've been thinking about a 16" .308 bolt rifle to run with a can, so I grabbed one up. I think the feature set on these makes $1799 an attractive price point; carbon fiber stock with adjustable LOP and comb, carbon fiber wrapped barrel, great trigger and action, takes AICS mags. I took out the buttstock spacers giving me a 13" LOP, deleted the fore end pic rail as I'm not going to be using a bipod, mounted a Leupold VX6 1-6X in NF lightweight medium rings and a VTAC sling in the flush sling swivel cups. The rifle came with a Magpul 5-rd mag; I have 10-rd mags for it. As soon as I can get to the range, I'll post shooting results.

Name:  IMG_3271.jpg
Views: 867
Size:  72.2 KB

User Tag List