Page 12 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Compact and Lightweight, Scout-like, .308 Bolt Gun

Quote Originally Posted by secondstoryguy View Post
    ...I don’t think many are thinking about the barrel life issue. 6.5 creed has 1/2 the barrel life of a .308 and some reports are saying 2k-3k rounds which ain’t a hellava lot.
    Depends on how old you are.

Since this is not a high volume competition gun for me, that means maybe 2-3 practice sessions per year, maybe 150 rounds or so...never going to be an issue and I don't care if my heirs have to rebarrel the thing...
    Last edited by fatdog; 11-20-2019 at 07:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    Depends on how old you are.

Since this is not a high volume competition gun for me, that means maybe 2-3 practice sessions per year, maybe 150 rounds or so...never going to be an issue and I don't care if my heirs have to rebarrel the thing...
    True, I guess (and unfortunately) that’s probably a realistic round count for your average sportsman.

When I was speaking with the lead instructor for Gunsite’s Precision Rifle class, he advised me to bring a .308 not a 6.5, because the 6.5 was “too easy,” and I would learn more with a .308. I am all for learning, but outside of class, I am all about the easy switch. As to barrel life, my goal it to wear stuff out, because it means I am using them a lot.

Local place in Bozeman had an attractive sale today, and I bought a 6.5. Christensen Arms Ridgeline with a Leupold VX6 2-12 in Nightforce lightweight rings on a zero moa Talley rail.

I was amazed how much high quality ammo there is in 6.5 for reasonable prices.

Name:  7407647C-75AB-4233-8C7E-D57CD6BE643A.jpeg
Views: 1173
Size:  95.1 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

If you are shooting more then 500 rounds a year in your bolt gun, barrel life becomes a non-issue. The cost of a new Bartlein barrel is $450 installed by my gunsmith. By the time 5 years comes around, there will be a new 6mm Gay Tiger catching your eye anyways
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post

Local place in Bozeman had an attractive sale today, and I bought a 6.5. Christensen Arms Ridgeline with a Leupold VX6 2-12 in Nightforce lightweight rings on a zero moa Talley rail.

That's a good looking rifle
    Last edited by SecondsCount; 11-20-2019 at 09:57 PM.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by Flashman View Post
    After Bore Coating a new unfired GSR, the process required 7 to 8 rounds fired quickly to "heat treat" the bore to set the coating. This wasn't a sighting in session but I decided to shoot it off bags at 50 yds anyway. 15 seconds and 9 shots later, the results astounded me: all hits were at the same elevation from the bullseye extending 2 1/2 inches left. Amazing!

A couple minutes earlier, I began sighting in a brand new AR with irons and red dot with larger groups, and of course, elevation and windage a bit off although not too bad at 50 yards for a new rifle.
    This stuff?

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019547645
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Yes, it is.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    When I was speaking with the lead instructor for Gunsite’s Precision Rifle class, he advised me to bring a .308 not a 6.5, because the 6.5 was “too easy,” and I would learn more with a .308. I am all for learning, but outside of class, I am all about the easy switch. As to barrel life, my goal it to wear stuff out, because it means I am using them a lot.

Thou shalt not covet your neighbor's Rifle.

Finally got to shoot the new CA Ridgeline. Fired a few shots to get it on paper, and this was the first group fired, with Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor 140 ELD at 100 yards. In that I don’t do much group shooting, and this was the first load I tried, I think the rifle shows promise.

Name:  E75A0121-47E2-4A87-B7D9-EE195CEFEDB7.jpg
Views: 759
Size:  40.8 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

That'll do donkey, that'll do

User Tag List