Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Compact and Lightweight, Scout-like, .308 Bolt Gun

Quote Originally Posted by DacoRoman View Post
    Very cool...I have to admit I’m very intrigued by this straight forward and practical option...hmmm..

How heavy is it with and without scope please?
    6 lbs 10 oz.

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    Thanks for sharing, I have been intrigued by that 6.5CR Steyr Scout rifle since it was introduced, but haven't talked or corresponded to anyone who actually had it. Sounds like the accuracy is living up to the cartridge's reputation.

Is the 10 round kit for yours, and for that matter are the 10 round magazines the same parts/items as the .308 version of the kit and magazines that Steyr sells?
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by DacoRoman View Post
    And these are even controlled feed too right?

These seem like a great option to have period for a lighter, medium power, carbine. I have 762x39 left over too after selling my Polytech, so it would be a very practical choice for sure
    Yep, controlled feed; CZ uses the Mauser controlled feed bolt on these, scaling it down proportionately to the cartridge; they term it a "micro Mauser." While the CZ 527 was originally chambered in 7.62 X 39 and .223/5.56, they've expanded to other chamberings like 6.5 Grendel and 300 Blackout, so there's some additional flexibility; my preference is with the 7.62 X 39, but I'm certainly not opposed to the other chamberings.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    This may seem counterintuitive, but I'm impressed with my CZ 527 carbine in 7.62 X 39; decent iron sights, very light and handy, and with a Strike Force Moisin Nagant dual striper clip buttstock pouch (which perfectly holds 2 CZ 527 magazines) you've got a on-rifle capacity of 16 rounds. Essentially a 150-200 yard rifle; similar ballistics to the 30-30.

Best, Jon
    I don't think it's counter intuitive at all. I think most of us just think of the bulk, surplus, steel-cased 7.62 ammo and think "AK" or "SKS" but the 527 definitely ticks a lot of the boxes.

As a student of Cooper's Scout concept, 270 grad (about 6 mos before his death) and owner of 2 scout rifles, I will contribute my humble opinion. The scout rifle concept has many good ideas which Cooper believed most if not all must be incorporated to make a "scout rifle." Technology has changed but, most importantly, experience has influenced my thoughts below.

First and foremost is that a scout rifle is lightweight as is a "practical rifle" and not really intended to be shot like an AR or other military grade weapon. This means it is not really designed for a fire fight or extended strings of multiple shots. In my view, the various scout actions and barrels and all other commercial type bolt actions, cannot tolerate the heat generated by extended, quick shooting strings. I would love to shoot 3 gun with a bolt action (scout) but suspect after a couple of matches, my rifle would be toast. Maybe if the bolt was a G98, G96 or Springfield 1903 it would hold up but a bolt designed for recreational hunters would probably not.

Keeping this in mind, ammo management overly complicates the scout rifle, adding weight and sources of failure.. My preference now is that both of my scouts would have blind magazines. Again, this isn't a battle rifle. It is one for hunting or to extricate oneself bad circumstances. Learn to load a blind magazine quickly. Single cartridge loading can be done with the M70 and M77MKII since the extractor claw will slip over the case rim upon closing the bolt but will not with Mausers.

Light and handy is important. Barrel length no less than 20 inches--who needs the increased blast closer to one's face and ears.

Traditional scope mounting is fine with the newer LPVO's that were not available 20 years ago.

Strong actions are also important such as the M70 and M77MKII's. The original Sako Scout actions were prone to breakage. My Savage action has had three separate breakages (2 parts) in 15 years.

There is nothing wrong with traditional open sights as backup sights versus the ghost ring favored by Cooper.

So I have evolved or devolved that if I were to do it all over again, I would consider a NULA's 20 inch, the Barrett Fieldcraft or similar actions/rifles that seem to have good reputations, an M70 Compact or M77MKII, all in 308 with a 1x4 to 1x6 low mounted scope. Light, handy, quick and rugged.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Flashman View Post
    As a student of Cooper's Scout concept, 270 grad (about 6 mos before his death) and owner of 2 scout rifles, I will contribute my humble opinion. The scout rifle concept has many good ideas which Cooper believed most if not all must be incorporated to make a "scout rifle." Technology has changed but, most importantly, experience has influenced my thoughts below.

First and foremost is that a scout rifle is lightweight as is a "practical rifle" and not really intended to be shot like an AR or other military grade weapon. This means it is not really designed for a fire fight or extended strings of multiple shots. In my view, the various scout actions and barrels and all other commercial type bolt actions, cannot tolerate the heat generated by extended, quick shooting strings. I would love to shoot 3 gun with a bolt action (scout) but suspect after a couple of matches, my rifle would be toast. Maybe if the bolt was a G98, G96 or Springfield 1903 it would hold up but a bolt designed for recreational hunters would probably not.

Keeping this in mind, ammo management overly complicates the scout rifle, adding weight and sources of failure.. My preference now is that both of my scouts would have blind magazines. Again, this isn't a battle rifle. It is one for hunting or to extricate oneself bad circumstances. Learn to load a blind magazine quickly. Single cartridge loading can be done with the M70 and M77MKII since the extractor claw will slip over the case rim upon closing the bolt but will not with Mausers.

Light and handy is important. Barrel length no less than 20 inches--who needs the increased blast closer to one's face and ears.

Traditional scope mounting is fine with the newer LPVO's that were not available 20 years ago.

Strong actions are also important such as the M70 and M77MKII's. The original Sako Scout actions were prone to breakage. My Savage action has had three separate breakages (2 parts) in 15 years.

There is nothing wrong with traditional open sights as backup sights versus the ghost ring favored by Cooper.

So I have evolved or devolved that if I were to do it all over again, I would consider a NULA's 20 inch, the Barrett Fieldcraft or similar actions/rifles that seem to have good reputations, an M70 Compact or M77MKII, all in 308 with a 1x4 to 1x6 low mounted scope. Light, handy, quick and rugged.
    Since I have recently come into a significant quantity of .308 brass, thousands of bullets, pounds of various powders and about two hundred carefully loaded rounds from an estate, I am mentally trying to put together a practical .308 bolt gun.
    The T/C Compass sorely tempted me at the current price and reported great accuracy, but issues with the trigger and the presence of a detachable magazine has cooled me off from that thought.
    I own an early '80s push feed M70 "Westerner" chambered in 30-06 that my wife bought me when we were first married. Very smooth bolt action, but kicks like a mule from the bench sighting it in.
    A M70 Featherweight with a good fixed 4x or 2-7 ish variable might work as well or better than anything, taking into consideration Flashman's comments about the role of the Scout rifle.
    Last edited by deputyG23; 10-17-2019 at 02:35 PM.

Site Supporter
    Mention was made of the BLR and Rem 7615. I owned several BLR's over the years. Fine rifles but don't make the mistake of disassembling one. You may not get it back together. If you do, then it may not function, and you start over again. About the Rem 7615. It's parent is the Rem 760 which gave rise to the 7600 which was modified to make the 7615. I owned three 760 rifles in different calibers. One was .222 Rem even. They are fine woods rifles for deer hunting. They have Rem shotgun type triggers with a slow hammer fall. You can forget taking apart the 760 or 7600. The process is complicated and involves removing the barrel. The 7615 is probably the same. The Texas Prison system issued the 760 in .308 Win. The 7600 version had some accuracy improvements, but after 3 shots, groups enlarge due to barrel heating.

I have fiddled around with scout/practical rifles, and lightweight hunting rifles, for more than twenty years. Since a hunting rifle might become a defensive rifle at any time, my standard for durability, is it must hold up to a Randy Cain or Gunsite rifle class. Frankly, many of the lightweight bolt actions will not. Same for certain lever guns and even shotguns.

I have had great luck with model 70 based rifles, and prefer to build on them.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Flashman View Post

Which of the Sako actions are prone to breakage?
    I am eyeballing a .308 H&R Ultra bolt gun from the ‘70s with the L579 action at a LGS tagged at $599.
    Last edited by deputyG23; 10-27-2019 at 09:40 AM.

My recollection is that many of the original versions of the Scout rifle were based on Sako actions available in the 70’s and although light, sized to cartridge length, were not terribly robust.

User Tag List