Page 24 of 29 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Compact and Lightweight, Scout-like, .308 Bolt Gun

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    He thought that the metric system made a lot of sense—that’s why he stated the specs for the Scout rifle in metric units of measure. But he saw going from a 30 to a 22 as a giant step backwards that encouraged the use of hand-held full-auto fire instead of forcing people to learn to shoot. He also hated the idea that we’d gone from a 45 to a 35 for a second time given that it didn’t work so well the first time.

Okie John

And at the time he was probably right. The 9mm was saddled with fast-expanding, poorly-penetrating hollowpoints that often failed spectacularly.

These days I'm pretty ok with 9mm, but still prefer the .308 to .223. But things like elk are in my target deck.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank500 View Post
    My everyday load is 125 TNTs at 2750. Hunting loads are 200 grain partitions running 2550!!!
    What length is your Kimber's barrel?

Mine is a threaded 22-in. factory tube.

Right now it's got an Aimpoint Comp M2 on the pic rail w a QR ring and a nylon sling with four Federal (V308VM110) in belly it weighs 6 lb 2.23 oz.

I zeroed it with good ol' Powershok 150s week before the 'Rona hit.

Going to tweak it to the new Varmint & Predator 110 V-Max load rated at 3,300 fps tomorrow to celebrate Memorial Day.
    "Backstabbers and window-lickers rise to the top of human organizations like oxygen-rich turds in a champagne fountain. I suspect it's been that way since at least the Bronze Age." _ Me. 2016

It’s 18”. Reloader 17 is what I use for the heavy bullet loads

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    If that was his thinking it may have been valid 30 years ago.
    Cooper died in 2006. Don't fault his writings because the world moved on from the context in which they were written. However, do be aware of said context.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    Cooper died in 2006. Don't fault his writings because the world moved on from the context in which they were written. However, do be aware of said context.
    Cooper had some great ideas and much of his thinking still applies today. But that doesn't mean every idea he had was a good one.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    Cooper had some great ideas and much of his thinking still applies today. But that doesn't mean every idea he had was a good one.

He also had some ideas that make a lot more sense in his personal context. For example advocacy of scout scopes makes a lot more sense in light of reports that he was cross eye dominant.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    He also had...advocacy of scout scopes....
    When I first messed with an M1A Scout 20+ years ago I settled on a small Burris LER scope with a duplex reticle. It has a 1" tube. No illumination and is 2.5x or 2.75x IIRC. It is somewhat limited in functionality but was about the best thing I could find at the time that fit the Scout idea.

Ten years later I got a Ruger bolt gun. The same lack of "good" scout scopes soon became apparent and really nothing had changed from my last experience with Scout optics.

Where are we today? Is anyone making an LER scope with a 30mm or larger tube with an illuminated reticle and some of the other "modern" features that are now pretty standard on even the less expensive scopes?

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    He also had some ideas that make a lot more sense in his personal context. For example advocacy of scout scopes makes a lot more sense in light of reports that he was cross eye dominant.
    Interesting! I did not know that he was, or may have been, cross-eye-dominant. I am left-eye-dominant, and had noticed that I could use a good scout scope reasonably well, from the right shoulder, without having to totally shut my left eye, whereas using a conventional scope quickly, and well, with both eyes open, required that I shoot from the left shoulder.

My “good” scout scout, I mean Leupold, as opposed to a cheaper off-brand. I could only do this with a Leupold Scout Scope.

Because I normally shoot rifles lefty, and so few left-hand scout rifles have been build with left-hand actions, I have not (yet) bought a scout rifle.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Site Supporter
    When I first messed with an M1A Scout 20+ years ago I settled on a small Burris LER scope with a duplex reticle. It has a 1" tube. No illumination and is 2.5x or 2.75x IIRC. It is somewhat limited in functionality but was about the best thing I could find at the time that fit the Scout idea.

Ten years later I got a Ruger bolt gun. The same lack of "good" scout scopes soon became apparent and really nothing had changed from my last experience with Scout optics.

Where are we today? Is anyone making an LER scope with a 30mm or larger tube with an illuminated reticle and some of the other "modern" features that are now pretty standard on even the less expensive scopes?

Yes Leupold makes a VX-R 30mm tube firedot 1.5-5x. I believe it is an SWFA exclusive.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post

My “good” scout scout, I mean Leupold, as opposed to a cheaper off-brand. I could only do this with a Leupold Scout Scope.
    Ah, too late to edit. The above sentence should have been:

By “good” scout scout, I mean Leupold, as opposed to a cheaper off-brand. I could only do this with a Leupold Scout Scope.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

User Tag List