Page 17 of 29 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Compact and Lightweight, Scout-like, .308 Bolt Gun

Quote Originally Posted by Wise_A View Post
    I love my Savage, but between the sheer number of stocks/chassis I can't use, and the bolt lift, there are a lot of reasons I wish it was a Remington.

I think my next gun--really an experiment in learning to assemble a rifle with a prefit barrel--I think I'd be inclined to either start with a trued-up Remington action ($420-$500ish), or just buy a /r/gundeals gun and part it out. If I was spending real money, I would just skip it all and go to a Defiance Tenacity or other push-feed custom action, some of which share the 700's footprint. Custom actions look expensive, but there's a lot of value in the big price tag, presuming you actually want all that stuff.
    I know what you mean. I personally keep looking at Tikkas for a near off the shelf rifle.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

The sin of it is, the Tikka action would be a fine place to start a build. The problem is that Sako won't sell you just the action. They insist on attaching barrels to them, and allegedly, they are a monster to get off. For the price of a T3 Lite once you sold the barrel, I think that a Tikka action would be a "thinking shooter's" buy over the similarly-priced trued Remington action. The Remington might be nicer than the factory Tikka in terms of dimensions, but the Tikka would just be...well, nicer.

Site Supporter
    Mt Olympus, Los Angeles, CA, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    The point is that push feed actions are cheaper to manufacture than CRF actions. Whether push feed actions work for you personally is another question. As to the availability of CRF short actions, both Winchester and Ruger make new CRF short action rifles; they, and many used rifles, are readily available.
    I have around $600 in the rig shown above. I would rate it above any Winchester ever made, let alone a Ruger.
    Michael@massmeans.com | Zeleny@post.harvard.edu | westcoastguns@gmail.com | larvatus prodeo @ livejournal | +1-323-363-1860 | “If at first you don’t succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed.” — Curly Howard, 1936 | “All of old. Nothing else ever. Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.” — Samuel Beckett, 1984

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    If the light chassis rifle works out, meaning accurate, reliable and a fast action, we have a mid 6 pound base rile that can change personality like an AR. For example, you could set it up with a VX6HD scope and a five round magazine to sheep, goat or deer hunt, then when you are packing meat around bears, go to a T1 and a ten round magazine. It is all concept now, and the proof will be how it performs in the field.
    The Cross seems seems pretty similar in concept and execution to "The Fix" by Q.

https://www.liveqordie.com/products/the-fix-by-q/

I haven't followed that product closely enough to know if there are any glaring issues, but it might be worth looking into.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    There's a thread on the Cross. Worth reading, including for the comments about The Fix.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by Seven_Sicks_Two View Post
    The Cross seems seems pretty similar in concept and execution to "The Fix" by Q.

https://www.liveqordie.com/products/the-fix-by-q/

I haven't followed that product closely enough to know if there are any glaring issues, but it might be worth looking into.
    That's because Kevin Brittingham, who founded Advanced Armament Corporation, went to work for Sig Sauer about five years after selling AAC to Remington. He left Sig Sauer four years ago to start a new company, named Q. Many of the current Sig design elements are from Kevin, and are also found on products from Q. The Cross rifle is coming out pretty late though, so this is likely more of a copycat product than something he worked on at Sig (IMO).

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    I’m talking about cycling the bolt manually. I've read that going from a conventional stock to an M-16 pistol grip changes the geometry and slows things down.

Okie John
    Since I shoot bolt rifles with my thumb on the right side of the stock or pistol grip, stock type does not affect cycling speed.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    Since I shoot bolt rifles with my thumb on the right side of the stock or pistol grip, stock type does not affect cycling speed.
    The stock on my new rifle (a DD Delta 5) is actually designed for this. Wrapping your thumb is *very* uncomfortable.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    That's because Kevin Brittingham, who founded Advanced Armament Corporation, went to work for Sig Sauer about five years after selling AAC to Remington. He left Sig Sauer four years ago to start a new company, named Q. Many of the current Sig design elements are from Kevin, and are also found on products from Q. The Cross rifle is coming out pretty late though, so this is likely more of a copycat product than something he worked on at Sig (IMO).
    Yeah, I've followed all that drama for awhile. I was just trying to be a bit more diplomatic than just straight-up calling it a knock-off (which I think it is).

User Tag List