Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19272829

Thread: Compact and Lightweight, Scout-like, .308 Bolt Gun

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    I had a Rem 788 6mm Rem for quite a while until someone wanted it more than I did.

The 6mm is a very underrated cartridge in my experience. It will flatten animals with authority.

In fact I took a Tikka (I know you guys are shocked) and had my smith rebarrel it with a lilja 6 rem tube. It spits 85 grain Sierra hollow point game kings at 3430. The HPGK is one of those that has a very thick jacket and is known among hunters to hold together very well on larger animals.

[...]

I really need to shoot that rifle more as it rarely sees the light of day. Honestly it is such an easy gun to shoot well that it would be the perfect "old man gun" the future. I would not hesitate to punch elk tags with it under many circumstances.
    What's your COAL with that load?

One of my recurring bad ideas is to stick a 6mm Rem AI reamer down a Weatherby .243 Winchester. (Weatherby uses 24-in barrels rather than 22-in for Howa-branded rifles.) I've waffled a lot about using the short action vs. doing a Howage setup with an 8 twist on a long-action Howa receiver (.270s are cheap for some reason). I suspect the 85-gr Sierra would feed in the short action and stabilize with the 1:10 twist just fine.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

OlongJohnson,

My COAL is 2.83

Running IMR 4350.

I think I have mentioned it before but the reason I like 6mm's is how versatile they are. Put a 1:8 twist barrel on it and you can shoot everything from 80-105 grain bullets- varmints, deer, long range, and target.

Their is an old 243 in the safe but I built a 6X47 Lapua with an 8 twist. 6X47L has a shorter OAL so you can use a AI pattern mag and DBM, and a short action. It's inherently more accurate than 243, and you don't get the case stretch because of the sharper shoulder, so no trimming. Brass lasts a lot longer as well. Out of a 26" barrel, mine will send an 87 grain Vmax at 3200 FPS. A 20 or 22" barrel wouldn't be far behind.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    Running IMR 4350.
    How much velocity change do you see going from hot weather to cold weather?

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    I think I have mentioned it before but the reason I like 6mm's is how versatile they are. Put a 1:8 twist barrel on it and you can shoot everything from 80-105 grain bullets- varmints, deer, long range, and target.

Their is an old 243 in the safe but I built a 6X47 Lapua with an 8 twist. 6X47L has a shorter OAL so you can use a AI pattern mag and DBM, and a short action. It's inherently more accurate than 243, and you don't get the case stretch because of the sharper shoulder, so no trimming. Brass lasts a lot longer as well. Out of a 26" barrel, mine will send an 87 grain Vmax at 3200 FPS. A 20 or 22" barrel wouldn't be far behind.
    The attraction to me for the 6mm Rem AI is much of what you say about the 6x47, just a little bigger. (I think it's actually the largest 6mm capacity there is before going up to something like a 6mm-06.) And with a longer neck, leading to many reports of usefully reduced throat wear compared to .243, in spite of the greater capacity. Magpul's AICS mags support 2.86 COAL according to the web site, so Lost River's load should work. There are other short-action options as well. You do run into being on the edge between short and long actions for the heavier, pointier bullets, though.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post

I found mags available for 7mm-08, and wondered whether they are actually the same as the .308 mags. An Australian site hinted as much, not offering a Drop-down menu choice between 7mm-08 and .308 Winchester. (It is possible that clicking on the order tab would have loaded a new page, with a menu.)

Notably, the Optics Planet site indicates that there is one universal 5-round Scout mag for .243, 7mm-08, and .308 Winchester. One part number, for all, MPN: 2614050602. (Optics Planet is out out of stock, of this universal Scout mag.)

Well, anyway, I have a total of five BLR magazines, en route to my mailbox, from two sources, so my Lightning and Takedown BLRs may remain my only .308 rifles, for a while.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    How much velocity change do you see going from hot weather to cold weather?

Okie John
    John,

I rarely have shot that gun in hot weather so I could not give an accurate answer there. In fact I haven't really been shooting my T3 6mm much at all these days. Really need to.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    The attraction to me for the 6mm Rem AI is much of what you say about the 6x47, just a little bigger. (I think it's actually the largest 6mm capacity there is before going up to something like a 6mm-06.) And with a longer neck, leading to many reports of usefully reduced throat wear compared to .243, in spite of the greater capacity. Magpul's AICS mags support 2.86 COAL according to the web site, so Lost River's load should work. There are other short-action options as well. You do run into being on the edge between short and long actions for the heavier, pointier bullets, though.
    I have a 6mm AI as well. It's cool but it's old school.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Site Supporter
    These look cool. Wish they made a left handed version. . .

https://www.franchiusa.com/resources...lite-edc-rifle

I don't think I've seen anything about this -- .308 and .556

Quote Originally Posted by idahojess View Post
    These look cool. Wish they made a left handed version. . .

https://www.franchiusa.com/resources...lite-edc-rifle

I don't think I've seen anything about this -- .308 and .556
    That is cool. Love the sights. Looks like its a regular notch when folded down but a peep when you fold them up.

User Tag List