Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Compact and Lightweight, Scout-like, .308 Bolt Gun

Quote Originally Posted by DacoRoman View Post
    Many thanks for the responses everyone.

I am leaning Tikka, but there are some other really good options too. I'm planning on buying at Christmas so I have some time to deliberate.

For a scope I'm thinking a NF 1-8x, the "budget" one, not the ATACR..or maybe the ATACR, depending on what I'll end up wanting to consign or trade, or look for a FFP 2.5-10X of some sort. Any good suggestions for a FFP 2.5-10x?
    Nothing ruins the handling of a lightweight rifle concept more than a big fucking heavy scope that is designed for big heavy marksman rifles. If you're to the point of cutting off 3.5" of barrel to save weight, then it makes zero sense to buy an optic with significant weight.

Unless you're going to obsess over Tacti-timmy details that aren't critical (or outright pointless, even) for the stated application and ruin the entire concept of the rifle, I'd seriously look at this: New Ultralight 2.5-10x32 Scope from SWFA. Some other options here, but I think that's a hard option to beat.

It's 9oz. That's about 1/3rd to 1/2 the weight of common tactical/precision oriented scopes, such as the Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42 "compact" rifle scope. IMO, respectfully, if you're going for a lightweight rifle concept for inside 300 yards on game, buy a lightweight scope that is suitable for game inside of 300 yards; If you want a precision rifle with a scope built for such, then buy a precision rifle and be honest/consistent what you're trying to build. As for the LPVO option, unless you're room clearing or doing some sort of super fast target acquisition within 15 yards, you don't need a LPVO. It doesn't make sense to put those on a bolt action hunting rifle regardless of them being all the heat these days to put on carbines for shooting terries.
    Last edited by TGS; 09-17-2019 at 02:40 AM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

they look quite good! but I see no prices advertised...I may email them at some point
    The Australian gun channel I saw them on said they ran something like $114AUD which converts to $95 American. If you can even get them here.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Compact and Lightweight, Scout-like, .308 Bolt Gun

After having lots and lots of different bolt action rifles over the years, I’d really hate to see anyone end up with a factory action that wasn’t a Tikka. CTR has a really great barrel. Tikka factory trigger is money. But factory mags are not as reliable as AICS pattern. Plus, stock doesn’t have adjustability.

A Tikka barreled action dropped into a KRG Bravo chassis gets you a fine rifle. Upgrade to AICS compatible bottom metal. And you get the adjustability. I don’t think people put enough emphasis on setting the rifle up for proper fit.

Regarding barrel length and caliber: I don’t know what drives you towards 308 but if you haven’t you might take a look at 6.5 Creedmoor. Factory Hornady ammo is cheap, plentiful, and sinfully consistent. I had this caliber in a 16.5” barrel, it’ll make hits on smaller targets at longer distances than your requirements easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Crews; 09-17-2019 at 06:48 AM.

Well there you go. Thanks for the clarification. I'd love to see a pic of your set up if it isn't too inconvenient.
    Here are a couple of photos of the Steyr Scout with the Leupold scope attached over the action, as requested.

Name:  IMG_0663.jpg
Views: 2864
Size:  42.0 KBName:  IMG_0662.jpg
Views: 1584
Size:  31.9 KB

Site Supporter
    But speaking of lever guns, that BLR is an absolute beast..a beautiful beast. It is almost too nice. I am used to Glocks and AR's which I slap around as needed ...that BLR is a work of art that I'd be afraid to manhandle. Actually, that stainless takedown looks pretty tough...I don't know, I could see that BLR being a total impulse buy if I see it in a store. It looks like one can get a scope base for it too. Too bad about no higher cap. mags that are easily obtained though.

I'm surprised that there aren't more modern lever guns that use mags though.
    There is also the Henry Long Ranger. Similar to the BLR, not available in as many chamberings, has a less refined look to it but still looks good.

That's some good info on the GSR thank you. That XS sight system seems like a no brainer. What makes you miss an 18" barrel if you don't mind me asking?

Is there a fix for the light primer strikes on the 7.62x51?
    Sorry for the late response.

On the 18 barrel, personal preference. 16 inch is about the limit you can take a .308 and still be a .308. The 16 is also LOUD and I’ve been shooting ARs with brakes my whole adult life.

I’ve read that the GSR might not be the best rendition of a scout rifle but it’s a nice update on the Enfield Jungle Carbine. Being in a ban state, that appeals.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    But speaking of lever guns, that BLR is an absolute beast..a beautiful beast. ...that BLR is a work of art that I'd be afraid to manhandle. Actually, that stainless takedown looks pretty tough...I don't know, I could see that BLR being a total impulse buy if I see it in a store. It looks like one can get a scope base for it too. Too bad about no higher cap. mags that are easily obtained though.

I'm surprised that there aren't more modern lever guns that use mags though.
    I've read discussion that there's a plastic gear in the BLR action that can strip out if the lever is run too hard, too much. Makes it less attractive for serious use.

Someone mentioned the Henry. I recall mentions of less than perfect reliability/durability.

I'd love to see someone figure out a lever-action receiver and bolt system that would work with AR uppers and mags in a way that made actual sense.

they look quite good! but I see no prices advertised...I may email them at some point
    I emailed them through their web site. Aussie export laws are apparently fairly rigorous, and they can't currently export to U.S. I emailed a stateside contact who may be a good fit for taking on a project like that. Maybe in six months or a year something will come of it.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by MK11 View Post
    Sorry for the late response.

On the 18 barrel, personal preference. 16 inch is about the limit you can take a .308 and still be a .308. The 16 is also LOUD and I’ve been shooting ARs with brakes my whole adult life.

I’ve read that the GSR might not be the best rendition of a scout rifle but it’s a nice update on the Enfield Jungle Carbine. Being in a ban state, that appeals.
    FWIW I have an early 16.5” Ruger Scout and the barrel is actually 17.25”. It’s like they got the specs settled and someone said “let’s add a threaded section for a flash suppressor or other muzzle device!”. And then they added 3/4” but didn’t change the specs.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    At least if you move to a place where a threaded barrel is prohibited, you can just cut the threads off and roll on.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Another, albeit price option:

https://www.eurooptic.com/Christense...-03001-00.aspx

Christensen Arms Modern Precision Rifle .308 Win 16" 1:10" Black 801-03001-00
    SKU 801-03001-00-CA

Specifications
    Caliber: .308 Win.
    Weight: 6.9 lbs.
    Rifle Overall Length: 36.75" Extended
    28" Folded
    Action: Bolt
    Trigger: Match-Grade "Flat" Trigger
    Rifle Barrel Length: 16"
    Rifle Barrel Twist: 1:10"
    Barrel Thread Pitch 5/8"-24
    Rifle Stock: Black Folding Stock with Locking Hinge and Magnelock Technology
    Scope Mount: 20 MOA Picatinny Rail
    Magazines Included: AICS-Compatible Detachable
    Iron Sights No
    Caliber or Gauge: .308 Win
    Handedness Right Hand
    Item Condition New
    Product Type Rifles
    UPC
    Name:  FE4EDC85-C230-4B58-A05D-54C27DFA8191.jpg
Views: 1676
Size:  20.9 KB
    Last edited by HCM; 09-17-2019 at 10:53 PM.

User Tag List