Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Compact and Lightweight, Scout-like, .308 Bolt Gun

this is all SteveB's fault...

Back in the summer I sold a bunch of unloved guns and I have been contemplating a project for the fall/winter. As a lover of 6.5CR and the Scout concept, SteveB's posts in this thread pushed me over the edge on this one. 6.5CR with a 1-6 scope. Zero'ed it up last weekend at my local club and it is a tack driver at 100 yards, I am getting ready to get to my long range club this weekend and see how it does at various ranges. If it doesn't ring our steel at 700 yards I will be most surprised.

Name:  Steyr scout project.jpg
Views: 2516
Size:  56.7 KB
    Last edited by fatdog; 11-05-2019 at 09:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    Back in the summer I sold a bunch of unloved guns and I have been contemplating a project for the fall/winter. As a lover of 6.5CR and the Scout concept, Steveb's posts in this thread pushed me over the edge on this one. 6.5CR with a 1-6 scope. Zero'ed it up last weekend at my local club and it is a tack driver at 100 yards, I am getting ready to get to my long range club this weekend and see how it does at various ranges. If it doesn't ring our steel at 700 yards I will be most surprised.

Name:  Steyr scout project.jpg
Views: 2516
Size:  56.7 KB
    In 6.5, I like the Steyr, the Barrett 22 inch threaded model, the Christensen Arms Ridgeline and the Q Fix as candidates for a lightweight practical rifle.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

While I’m really liking the data and reports I’m hearing about the 6.5 creed I don’t think many are thinking about the barrel life issue. 6.5 creed has 1/2 the barrel life of a .308 and some reports are saying 2k-3k rounds which ain’t a hellava lot. Not a big deal if your a comp shooter or running a rifle with a quick change barrel like an AI but it would suck to try and get a new barrel for something like the Scout(which I hear is something of a PIA). Just a thought.
    Last edited by secondstoryguy; 11-06-2019 at 05:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    In 6.5, I like the Steyr, the Barrett 22 inch threaded model, the Christensen Arms Ridgeline and the Q Fix as candidates for a lightweight practical rifle.
    And which 1-6s scope is that, sir?
    "Backstabbers and window-lickers rise to the top of human organizations like oxygen-rich turds in a champagne fountain. I suspect it's been that way since at least the Bronze Age." _ Me. 2016

Quote Originally Posted by coldcase1984 View Post
    And which 1-6s scope is that, sir?
    Vortex, PST II
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by DacoRoman View Post
    Hello y’all!

I’m looking for a rifle like the title reads.

I would like:
    - to put a 1-5 or 6x vs a 1-8x or possibly a 2.5-10 scope on it.
    - I would like to use 5-20 round mags, with extra points if it takes AR pattern mags
    - be able to use it as a personal defense weapon in states like CA, on overlanding trips
    - Use it for medium to large game out to 300 yards or so.
    - Be able to shoot reduced IPSC silhouette steel (12x24”) out to 500 yards

The Ruger an Steyr Scouts are very intriguing but force you to mount a scope far forward, which I don’t want to do. And I would be willing to give up iron sights for a more traditional scope mounting system.

There is the Mossberg MVP Scout, which has a longer rail that comes all the way back and takes AR10 mags but I’m concerned about quality and action.

I like what’s going on here with this Tikka (video below), but the 10 round mags are $90 each, and I’d have to get some good gunsmith to cut down the barrel. But if pressed I'd go this type of route at this point.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    I would suggest you re-view Chris Baker's excellent video you attached as well as his follow-up shooting video, then clone his rig.

The Tikka T3x compact he put together should be a factory offering! You could spend much more and wind up with a lesser rig.

Also, Lost River always gives hard-won sound advice about all weapon systems.

Important point: the extended mags in both Chris & Post show are the factory 5-rounders. They work fine and cost about $35. You're thinking of the CTR's 10-rounder.

My version is a stainless T3x Lite .22/250 8-twist that I had cut & threaded at 18-in. for my suppressor or an A2 flash suppressor for muzzle down truck gun carry.

Because I'm constantly playing optics roulette it currently has a 4-12x40 Nikon rimfire scope on it and a tough enough for Middle Tennessee SIG-Sauer Romeo 5 red dot is ready to go for backup. Gonna try to show it to a deer this month.

In that spirit,

It's 5-round mags hold good ol' Remington 55-grain CLs that'll hit considerably harder than 5.56. May work up some 62-grain Barnes TTSX next spring.

While the .308 and .223 are great choices when politics are not fooling with our God-given rights, I know .22/250, .270 and other common hunting rounds were never off the shelf c. 2012-2015...

Also, 6.5 Creed has more popularity and variations and should stay in good supply for awhile if the SHTF again.

My next Tikka will prolly be a 6.5 Creed Sportman's Superlite, modified like Chris' .308, because of ballistics and ammo selection everywhere...
    Last edited by coldcase1984; 11-09-2019 at 10:49 AM.
    "Backstabbers and window-lickers rise to the top of human organizations like oxygen-rich turds in a champagne fountain. I suspect it's been that way since at least the Bronze Age." _ Me. 2016

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    ...that's going to require carrying the rifle at all times in 1x, instead of in the power you're actually using for hunting.
    It's SOP hunt with a variable scope set on its lowest power until more magnification is needed. If something pops up close (like a bear charging out of the undergrowth) there will be no time to dial the scope down.

However, if something is spotted in the distance there is usually time to dial up the magnification of the spotting scope, plan the stalk and get closer.

There's no downside to setting an LPV to 1x for hunting.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

I still like .308. Having been heavy into precision rifle shooting and reloading during the last major gun-ban panic-ammo buying thing I can tell you that it was a relief to have a .308. I was shooting .308 and 6.5x47 Lapua as well as a few others and the one that was by far easiest to feed was the .308.

Now that a bunch of data is out and SOCOM has tested/adopted the 6.5 Creed I know of at least one SWAT Team who's adopted it as a precision rifle round. Hornady, who seems to be really listening to end users, is currently loading their excellent LE TAP round in 6.5 Creedmore and word on the street they are gonna do a LE load using their GMX bullet for a barrier/glass round. All and all a fantastic round for LE sniping, hunting and LR shooting. That being said, one of the arguments I have against using it in an LE precision rifle capacity is availability should another panic buy occur. This sounds silly but this is a very real concern when it comes to logistics. During hard times I know I can always find something to use operationally in .308...6.5 Creed maybe not.

As an aside we have tested and are currently using both the TAP 165 .308 load and their GMX round for a barrier round. The SD is amazing (about 8 fps) with the Hornady ammo and I have logged numerous .25-.5 groups out of a variety of rifles. We have also shot it through gelatin, windows and barriers all with impressive results. Again, Hornady is stepping up and I'm impressed.
    Last edited by secondstoryguy; 11-20-2019 at 12:15 AM.

What I like about .308

After Bore Coating a new unfired GSR, the process required 7 to 8 rounds fired quickly to "heat treat" the bore to set the coating. This wasn't a sighting in session but I decided to shoot it off bags at 50 yds anyway. 15 seconds and 9 shots later, the results astounded me: all hits were at the same elevation from the bullseye extending 2 1/2 inches left. Amazing!

A couple minutes earlier, I began sighting in a brand new AR with irons and red dot with larger groups, and of course, elevation and windage a bit off although not too bad at 50 yards for a new rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by secondstoryguy View Post
    While I’m really liking the data and reports I’m hearing about the 6.5 creed I don’t think many are thinking about the barrel life issue.
    This.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

User Tag List