Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RFI: G36. GTG at this point?

Site Supporter
    Being a DA/SA fan, I've owned both the HK45c and USPc .45. Both were reliable but I found the ergos a little challenging on both. I'd say I liked the HK45c a little better overall, but the DA trigger was horrendous... and the slick, flat grip wasn't exactly a treat to the hand. Traded it for the USPc .45... trigger was much better, but the ergos were worse--for me, anyway. I have small hands, so the depth of a .45 grip often presents a challenge.

For my compact-ish .45...

I have a Sig P245. It's very accurate in my hands, reasonably compact (enough to hide the grip in casual AIWB, w/o a fancy AIWB holster) and has been reliable. And I can reach the trigger okay. Obviously, they don't make the P245 anymore (like most guns I like, it seems). But P220 compacts were available up until fairly recently. They have the short grip frame of the P245 and have the same upper as the P220 carry.

Folks, I appreciate the input. I was definitely looking to stay under the Glock umbrella, since I own and have owned, uh, more than one.

One of the things that few know about me is that I have psychic powers when it comes to used handguns. I can’t predict earthquakes, or lottery numbers, but that's how I score rare vintage j-frames, and $300 LCRs and what not. When I posted this, I was looking at a new G36 in my favorite LGS, hence the thread. So, today, I decided to do a quick range trip to get in a little LCR time. I asked the range if they had a rental G36 in their rather expansive row of rental gun cases. "No but we have this used one, with 6 mags..."

Problem solved, what of it there was. I mean, if you can call new gun jonesing a problem.

As an aside, what a pussycat to shoot. I clamped down with an imitation PatMac death grip, expecting recoil, and got fun and grins, instead. Granted, many guns seem tame after a box of fmj 158 grainers from the 13.5 oz LCR, but the G36 wasn’t any worse than a G43, IMO.

So that’s that; again, I appreciate the input, experience, and opinions.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

So you bought it? 👍 The 36 is one of those irrational pistols I’ve always wanted to try. Sounds like a nice pick up.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    So you bought it? 👍 The 36 is one of those irrational pistols I’ve always wanted to try. Sounds like a nice pick up.
    Yes. Yes I did.

Sadly, recent retrograde initiative book-cooking in WA state means no cash and carry, even with CWP, so pics will have to wait until the man can get around to my particular background check in the local PD backlog of paper.

Gives me time to order up a respring kit (I just replace all the springs—except the mag release—on any used G I get. Cheap enough, and then I know the round counts), and some more 230 ball. I’m down to maybe 5 boxes of ball, and 200 GDHP 230. I’ve already got an original recipe gadget in my parts box, so it’s just hurry up and wait at this point.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I had a 36 for a number of years, and had BTF problems - so did everyone else that ever shot it. Even a trip back to the mothership didn’t help.

I ended up trading it off for something else, but I’m also convinced there was an issue with this specific example. I bet the breechface was out of spec or similar.

I did hate the grip, though. A slightly longer gripframe where you didn’t rely on the mag for proper grip would tempt me, but what I always held out for was a Gen4 30S. And now, I’ll wait and see if a Gen5 solution ever appears.

A 4” XD-S filled this hole for me.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    SNIP...

I did hate the grip, though. A slightly longer gripframe where you didn’t rely on the mag for proper grip... SNIP
    This. For the G29 and G30 the shortened grip made sense in the AWB era. The G36 not so much, I would venture that most would prefer a G19-ish length grip with a flush fit 6 round magazine. I am curious as to why a 5 round magazine was never introduced (or even if it was ever envisioned)...

My Glock 36 has had zero failures, my Glock 30 has had a couple of FTFs.

It is a great carry pistol, mostly ignored, which is puzzling seeing how everyone went ga ga when Glock came out with single stack 9mms.

I'm guessing the relatively low capacity and the popularity of 9mm over .45 acp.

It conceals very well, and having 7 rounds of quality .45 acp on board a reliable platform isn't something to be slighted, IMO.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkyfender View Post
    My Glock 36 has had zero failures, my Glock 30 has had a couple of FTFs.

It is a great carry pistol, mostly ignored, which is puzzling seeing how everyone went ga ga when Glock came out with single stack 9mms.

I'm guessing the relatively low capacity and the popularity of 9mm over .45 acp.

It conceals very well, and having 7 rounds of quality .45 acp on board a reliable platform isn't something to be slighted, IMO.
    A couple weeks ago there was a used 36 at the LGS. When I first looked at it I thought it was a 43. It was gone next time I was there so didn't have a chance to handle it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlwind06 View Post
    A couple weeks ago there was a used 36 at the LGS. When I first looked at it I thought it was a 43. It was gone next time I was there so didn't have a chance to handle it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Surprisingly, at least for my shop, used G36s never last. New ones have birthdays.

Quote Originally Posted by echo5charlie View Post
    Surprisingly, at least for my shop, used G36s never last. New ones have birthdays.
    Man, I’ve already figured out that this is the unvarnished truth, right there. An interesting phenomenon.

User Tag List