Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RFI: G36. GTG at this point?

RFI: G36. GTG at this point?

Folks, a quick search yielded a paucity of threads—older ones, at that, dating closer to the introduction of the SS .45 model, and probably discuss the reliability of the earlier, non-rail iterations.

Assuming that I have good reasons for wanting a gun that is objectively somewhat less capable than, say, a G26 (which I do), and that the low-capacity, harder recoiling G36 fits the bill, are the current G36s up to Glock standards in terms of reliability?

Thanks in advance for the input.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    A year or so after my first foray into Glocks the G36 was introduced. I bought one for my wife to try but she preferred her Commander so I shot it for a while. Neither of us had any of the "reported" reliability problems. The gun fired every time the trigger was pulled. I owned a couple more over the years. About 10 years ago I was doing some training/practice with my sister. I had one of the 36s with me and when I ran a couple magazines through it she wanted to try it. She liked it better than her G19 as a purse gun and traded me for it. She still has it and at 77 years of age still manages it's recoil with no problem. And it works every time.

Several years ago I got tired of waiting for Glock to introduct a G4 G30S and bought a G36 to use the slide and barrel to make my own from the G4 G30 I had. That worked out fine, i.e. the gun was reliable. After looking at the G30 slide and barrel in the safe for a while I stuck it on the G36 frame and had the softest recoiling G36 in the world. I thought of it as a G36H for "Heavy". It functioned just fine. I had the G36 frame worked over by my gunsmith (Kent Singletary) and it came out so good I put the G36 slide back on it and it is my current carry gun. It functions reliably. Oh, and the G30 frame is going to Kent shortly for a similar treatment.

Point of all this: the Glock 36 has been just a reliable in my experience, involving several different individual guns in various configurations, as any other Glock I've owned. My only problem with them is the same problem I have with the G30. I HATE having to use the magazine as part of the grip. Why in (expletive deleted) Glock didn't make them with a 3 finger frame I do not understand and continue to regret.

Dave

Site Supporter
    I remember renting a G30 and a G36 one day when my buddy and I were sort of "discovering" .45s. We were both struck by how well they shot--solid groups, true to POA. And FWIW, I don't shoot a G19 (or most other SFA 9mms) well at all. I will say the 36 jammed, whereas the 30 did not. But it was a rental and I'd venture to say my grip probably wasn't stellar.

So, based on that fleeting experience, I've "loosely" considered picking up a .45 compact Glock at some point. I'd prefer a 36 over a 30, for carry purposes... if it was reliable. No-safety SFAs make me nervous for appendix, but I feel like there's options nowadays (gadget, etc.).
    Last edited by MattyD380; 09-16-2019 at 12:31 AM.

Not sure what you’re looking for but have you considered the USPc in 45? It’s not a lot bigger than the 36 and reliability wouldn’t even be a question.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    Not sure what you’re looking for but have you considered the USPc in 45? It’s not a lot bigger than the 36 and reliability wouldn’t even be a question.
    HK45C
    Even more carry friendly, it will fit in many leather P2000 holsters and is basically G19 sized.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Site Supporter
    I'm kind of in the same boat, but I'm looking to pick up a G30 of some variety to supplement my inherited G21SF. I just can't wrap my mind around all the various G30 versions there are. At this point in time, Glock lists THREE versions on their website:

G30 Gen4
    G30S
    G30SF

What's the difference and what is preferred?

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Folks, a quick search yielded a paucity of threads—older ones, at that, dating closer to the introduction of the SS .45 model, and probably discuss the reliability of the earlier, non-rail iterations.

Assuming that I have good reasons for wanting a gun that is objectively somewhat less capable than, say, a G26 (which I do), and that the low-capacity, harder recoiling G36 fits the bill, are the current G36s up to Glock standards in terms of reliability?

In my professional experience not one G36 that came into my shop for "it jams all the time" has been anything more than the shooter. That count is at a whopping three guns over 10 years, keep in mind the G36 sells poorly and, honestly, is probably never shot by the majority of those that buy them. The G36 suffers the same issue the .45 XDS does - a small, lightweight pistol that shoots .45 Auto that is also sought out by many inexperienced shooters. We did have many* XDS "it jams all the time" problems again being the shooter, not the gun.

The railed version is only a few years old whereas the original non-railed dates to 1998 so I do not think there is any way, currently, to figure out if one is better than the other (which I doubt there is).

I have owned four G36 pistols over the years, one from 1999, one from 2003, one from 2013, and my current railed model. (Obviously I have an issue) Anyway, I cannot say that there is any noticeable difference in performance between the railed and non-railed version. None ever had "jamming" issues or any issues for that matter, but each of the initial three pistols only saw about 500 rounds a piece and the railed is at a whopping 100.

I don't think the G36 was ever not good from the get-go from a functional standpoint. From the practical application standpoint I feel there are better options (efficiency of size for the G36 footprint) for concealed carry but I wouldn't NOT carry a G36 because of what it is purported to be by the Internet. FWIW, I don't think my current G36 will be horse-traded off as in the past, I keep getting them so that should tell me something.

* - I do not have the number memorized as I do for the G36 but I distinctly recall 5 customers and know there were more than that, just not how many. Most of these issues were within the initial launch of the XDS before the recall. It has been years since a .45 XDS came in for *any* issue.

Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    I'm kind of in the same boat, but I'm looking to pick up a G30 of some variety to supplement my inherited G21SF. I just can't wrap my mind around all the various G30 versions there are. At this point in time, Glock lists THREE versions on their website:

G30 Gen4
    G30S
    G30SF

The G30/G21 etc., have a big grip. To make them more small hand friendly, in the Gen 3 era, Glock came out with the SF models that made the grip slightly smaller around and subsequently slightly shortened the trigger reach.

The Gen 4 guns are all basically SF models, grip-wise, with no back straps installed.

Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post

G30 Gen4
    G30S
    G30SF

G30 Gen4 - G30 with a Gen4 frame
    G30S - G30SF with a G36 slide
    G30SF - G30 with shortened (front to rear) SF grip

Preference is personal, YMMV. The G30S doesn’t work for me as I easily ride the slide stop, but it weighs almost three ounces less than the other G30 variants. I personally prefer the G30 Gen3 as I have zero issues with a thumbs-forward grip. Be sure you try seating a fully loaded mag on a slide-forward gun, it takes a bit of a whack to seat it, regardless of version. FWIW, the G36 does not have that issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife." - Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Brown v. United States, 256 U.S. 335 (1921)

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post

Is your primary focus on the caliber, or the platform? For most, the Glock exclusively runs best in 9mm. If you want to venture into other platforms for a good .45acp, then HK45c is a good choice and I have first hand experience with the P320c which is turning out to be a fantastic .45. However, even though I like the .45acp I feel that the caliber becomes exponentially less capable as the pistol size degreases. You suffer heavier capacity penalties and projectile performance as you decrease barrel length below 4" and grip size. Smaller calibers suffer less penalties in smaller guns.
    Last edited by Galbraith; 09-16-2019 at 09:59 AM.

User Tag List