Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Homebrewing a G45?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    I thought those were supposed to increase the girth for those who can palm a basketball or have piano player fingers? If not, I’ve misunderstood their purpose and will give them a whirl before deciding anything else.
    You misunderstand the purpose.

They were designed to do two things:

1) change the grip angle of the Glock to more like a conventional grip.

2) add a beaver tail to mitigate slide bite on all generations of Glock. The GFA preceded the Glock factory beavertail back straps.

They change the grip angle by filling in the hollow between the tang and the hump on the lower grip so they do make the grip bigger but on a Gen 4/5 where you are staring with a “small” grip it’s not that much extra reach.

On Gen 3 and older guns where you are starting with a “medium” grip it makes it it a large.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    You misunderstand the purpose.

They were designed to do two things:

1) change the grip angle of the Glock to more like a conventional grip.
    Name:  EEEF95F2-4AC2-4032-B789-0573E99CBDD8.gif
Views: 791
Size:  7.5 KBu
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    I put a GFA on my 41.4 it's already a big grip, but the GFA seemed to help me a lot. I was thinking of getting a grip reduction. Or buy the wolff frame that's supposed to be smaller.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlwind06 View Post
    I put a GFA on my 41.4 it's already a big grip, but the GFA seemed to help me a lot. I was thinking of getting a grip reduction. Or buy the wolff frame that's supposed to be smaller.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Thanks, I've been following your bullseye 41 thread so that's good to hear.

For reference, I prefer a flat MSH and short trigger on a 1911. That gives me the best fit and feel.
    Last edited by awp_101; 09-17-2019 at 08:12 PM.

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I have big chungus hands, 2XL gloves, but normal length fingers. My solution for my pair of gen 5 G17s was to turn the smaller of the beavertail back straps into a GFA by chopping it down just below the pin holes. This changes the way it sits in my hand enough to feel like a much more neutral grip and keeps me from getting slide bite.

Attachment 42686

Got my Grip Force adapters last week but haven't had a chance to try them at the range. Also picked up a 19.4 and will try them on there as well. If this works out I think I'm going to be a happy camper.

Looking for a G45 frame led me to this: GSX100 Frame - Pre-Order I don't know anything about their stuff or what kind of ETA they're looking at but I think it's interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Got my Grip Force adapters last week but haven't had a chance to try them at the range. Also picked up a 19.4 and will try them on there as well. If this works out I think I'm going to be a happy camper.

Looking for a G45 frame led me to this: GSX100 Frame - Pre-Order I don't know anything about their stuff or what kind of ETA they're looking at but I think it's interesting.

Close, but they should have designed the hook on the trigger guard better, that design may cause holster fitment issues.

There is also a sharp line on the upper backstrap area that coincides with the line down the grip panel. That corner could cause a hotspot in the web of the hand.

They should have completely deleted the hump on the back strap.

The only advantage to this is it allows gen 4 users to have a G45 style grip.

By far the best third party grip I have used is the shadow systems frame. They also fit all 19 holsters, just like a regular 19. They specifically design it to fit them. Unfortunately, frame only purchases are very limited and they do not make a G45 version, and I have pestered them about it.

It has a few quirks too, but they are pretty minor, and probably quirky to me, and may not be to others.

TXPO
    Last edited by Texaspoff; 09-28-2019 at 04:02 PM.
    ColdBoreCustom.com
    Certified Glock Armorer
    Certified P320 Armorer
    Certified M&P LE Armorer

I agree, it's almost there. I think interchangeable backstraps like Lone Wolf did would have been a better choice than leaving the hump in place. I wonder if that was a cost of manufacturing issue or maybe a LWD patent issue?

After holding the factory 34 and 19 frames back to back, I have a preference for the longer grip. I'd like to get my hands on a bare Shadow frame to see if the lack of hump swings me back to the G19 size frame.

The GSX-100 frame appears to be shipping. Says the 1st shipment is sold out:

https://www.glockstore.com/GSX-100-F...tity=1&color=1

Quote Originally Posted by Texaspoff View Post
    I have taken the hump off of a ton of Gen5's. They are more better that way....

TXPO
    Can you do that and blend in a beavertail?
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

User Tag List