Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Homebrewing a G45?

Homebrewing a G45?

My understanding has always been a G19 top end won't work on a G17 frame due to differences in the locking blocks. Now that Glock has pretty much done that with the G45, has anyone worked out how to make the same thing work using an after market frame?

I traded into a G34 planning to replace the frame with an aftermarket that fits my hand better but was surprised to find the factory full size frame fits me better than a factory G19 frame. That got me to thinking about trying something like a P80 full size frame with a 19 size top end but see my first sentence...

I still haven't gotten to shoot the 34 yet so it might not matter in the end but it planted the idea in my head. Is it still only doable with G45 frames and Gen 5 top ends?

Thanks!
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

The G5 17 uses the same locking block geometry as the G5 19. The G519 is semi backwards compatible with older 19s(Barrels can be used, but the locking block is different I believe due to the 2 pin set up).

It seems like what you want could be accomplished with some combination of non-standard aftermarket parts, but there isn't a Pre Gen5 OEM solution.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    My understanding has always been a G19 top end won't work on a G17 frame due to differences in the locking blocks. Now that Glock has pretty much done that with the G45, has anyone worked out how to make the same thing work using an after market frame?

I traded into a G34 planning to replace the frame with an aftermarket that fits my hand better but was surprised to find the factory full size frame fits me better than a factory G19 frame. That got me to thinking about trying something like a P80 full size frame with a 19 size top end but see my first sentence...

I still haven't gotten to shoot the 34 yet so it might not matter in the end but it planted the idea in my head. Is it still only doable with G45 frames and Gen 5 top ends?

Thanks!
    The Gen 5 / M model Glocks have standardized on the G19 style locking set up.

So the 19x, G45, G47 and G17.5 all use the G19 style locking block. As a result a G17.5 slide will fit and function on a G45/19X frame though it will have a gap.

To your question, a Gen 4 G19 slide will fit and function on a 19.5, 45 or 19x frame if you change the back plate to a Gen 5 plate.

This is a good excuse to buy some Gen 5 Gadget SCD’s from @Tom_Jones
    Last edited by HCM; 09-15-2019 at 11:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The Gen 5 / M model Glocks have standardized on the G19 style locking set up.

So the 19x, G45, G47 and G17.5 all use the G19 style locking block. As a result a G17.5 slide will fit and function on a G45/19X frame though it will have a gap.

To your question, a Gen 4 G19 slide will fit and function on a 19.5, 45 or 19x frame if you change the back plate to a Gen 5 plate.

This is a good excuse to buy some Gen 5 Gadget SCD’s from @Tom_Jones

This ^ Glock also had to move the position of the front rails on the Gen 5 frames back so they would allow for the full cycle of the shorter 19 slides. This is also why you can't modify the earlier G17 frames to work with the 19 locking blocks.

TXPO
    ColdBoreCustom.com
    Certified Glock Armorer
    Certified P320 Armorer
    Certified M&P LE Armorer

So it’s doable with an OEM Gen5 frame but nothing after market for now. Thanks!

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Isn't the OP asking if a Gen 5 G19 slide will fit on a Gen 5 G17/G34 frame?

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    Isn't the OP asking if a Gen 5 G19 slide will fit on a Gen 5 G17/G34 frame?
    No, I’m looking to see if it’s possible to build a G45 on an aftermarket frame. More than anything it’s trying to plan ahead and looking for options if the factory 17/34 frame isn’t the improvement over the 19 frame when it comes to fitting my hands.

For the 34 it’s an easy fix. If I want a 45 it looks like my only option right now is to have the factory frame worked over to flatten that verkakte hump.

Site Supporter
    No, I’m looking to see if it’s possible to build a G45 on an aftermarket frame. More than anything it’s trying to plan ahead and looking for options if the factory 17/34 frame isn’t the improvement over the 19 frame when it comes to fitting my hands.

For the 34 it’s an easy fix. If I want a 45 it looks like my only option right now is to have the factory frame worked over to flatten that verkakte hump.
    Try a grip force adaptor first.

Try a grip force adaptor first.
    I thought those were supposed to increase the girth for those who can palm a basketball or have piano player fingers? If not, I’ve misunderstood their purpose and will give them a whirl before deciding anything else.

I have taken the hump off of a ton of Gen5's. They are more better that way....

TXPO
    Last edited by Texaspoff; 09-16-2019 at 05:37 PM.
    ColdBoreCustom.com
    Certified Glock Armorer
    Certified P320 Armorer
    Certified M&P LE Armorer

User Tag List