Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: This needs slightly modified

One thing about WA state legal weed: the stuff grown under lights in huge commercial buildings down the street has, A: way less blood on its hands, and B: is incredibly regulated, including checks for things like e-coli, and all sorts of other biological unpleasantries that the weed coming up rural highways inside the spare tires of random Camaros and El Caminos get an inspection pass on. So there’s that.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    Just curious. Is it more or less expensive than the former illegal product? Too, how does one gain access it?

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Had I not seen so many kids who abused the stuff, I might not care either. When I consider the lawlessness associated with drug cartels and also with the distribution of weed in this country, I have difficulty understanding how some users who are otherwise concerned with law and order can ignore the violence integral to drug business.
    How do you feel about alcohol?
    #RESIST

Just curious. Is it more or less expensive than the former illegal product? Too, how does one gain access it?
    I know that here in Colorado you have to go to a dispensary to buy it and they're all over the friggen place. But apparently there's still a market for illegal weed because grow houses get busted fairly regularly. So either the taxes or the cost of the regulation increase the cost enough to risk prison time for some people.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

"Is it more or less expensive than the former illegal product?"

No idea, haven't bought any of either.

"Too, how does one gain access it?"

Go into one of the weed stores, which seem like they outnumber 7-11's.

From a quick google:
    https://potguide.com/washington/marijuana-stores/

My biggest concern with legal weed is that for years the cries of the legalize it crowd have relied on, "Less dangerous than alcohol." - Which the average stupid person takes to mean, "No big deal if I smoke some and drive. It's legal and safer than alcohol!"

Unfortunately, we haven't caught up on delivering the message that legal weed consumption should be treated like alcohol consumption. It should be done responsibly.

Alas, judging by the number of alcohol related DUIs, we haven't really conveyed that message very well either.

While I'm all for generating tax revenue with legal recreational marijuana. I fully expect that by Feb 1, 2020 when recreational marijuana has been legal for 30 days in Illinois, we will have seen a double-digit percentage increase in DUIs.

Site Supporter
    I have seen much heartache from alcohol too. I do not drink although I once did. I quit drinking in 1974 because I determined that I was headed toward dependency as did other family members. My intent is also pointing out that those buying illegal drugs have elected to fund violence connected to the drug trade. To continue buying weed and other requires that one justify in his mind contributing money to a violent criminal enterprise. One can say he does not care; he can say that others do it too; he can refer to Prohibition and discuss boot legging; he can say he has to have the product and can't function without the substance; and he can deny the problem. To gain comfort, the person must rationalize two facts. One is being a law abiding guy, and the other is contributing money to finance cartels. I see the two as mutually exclusive. My post now addresses a philosophical question.

My concern has always been with how drugs and alcohol affect children. I report observations. More than once I have cried after leaving work and returning home. I have zero recommendations about what we should and should not do concerning laws pertaining to drugs. But I have raised a philosophical question that makes some people unsettled. Lest I portray myself as lily white and above approach, let me admit that I am not. Raised in rural Mississippi, I was comfortable with whiskey making and boot legging. I did not care. Today I would care.
    Last edited by willie; 09-15-2019 at 04:20 PM.

I have seen much heartache from alcohol too. I do not drink although I once did. I quit drinking in 1974 because I determined that I was headed toward dependency as did other family members. My intent is also pointing out that those buying illegal drugs have elected to fund violence connected to the drug trade. To continue buying weed and other requires that one justify in his mind contributing money to a violent criminal enterprise. One can say he does not care; he can say that others do it too; he can refer to Prohibition and discuss boot legging; he can say he has to have the product and can't function without the substance; and he can deny the problem. To gain comfort, the person must rationalize two facts. One is being a law abiding guy, and the other is contributing money to finance cartels. I see the two as mutually exclusive. My post now addresses a philosophical question.

My concern has always been with how drugs and alcohol affect children. I report observations. More than once I have cried after leaving work and returning home. I have zero recommendations about what we should and should not do concerning laws pertaining to drugs. But I have raised a philosophical question that makes some people unsettled. Lest I portray myself as lily white and above approach, let me admit that I am not. Raised in rural Mississippi, I was comfortable with whiskey making and boot legging. I did not care. Today I would care.
    In states where it is legalized, you are not funding cartels. In fact, you are funding local small businesses that purchase supplies from other small businesses like mine. I sell building materials and hardware, and they are just another customer. Alaska has made it illegal for both dispensaries and grow operations to be owned by non-residents. They have been enforcing it fairly well, but time will tell if that enforcement stays consistent.

As for pricing. Alaska's primary source of weed for decades was illegal local growers. Alaska is a pretty libertarian place and we've been through a series of legal, not-legal, kinda legal, now legal again weed laws. In the 80's it was far easier for me to by local weed than it was to get beer. Those illegal growers that never got caught became legal growers in the new system (if you had a record you aren't getting a grow or sell license). Because the state taxes the product from the grow operation, and the dispensary charges a markup on product, the prices are slightly higher than before. However, weed is a tough product to keep track of and I know there is product going out the back door, untaxed, to the growers' old customers. With our small population, and difficulties of shipment, I doubt seriously that we were ever really on the Cartel's radar for a market. Not when cocaine, meth, oxy and heroine bring far higher profits and come in much smaller packages.

I was in the EMS and Fire business for a decade when weed was illegal. It was still everywhere up here, but I rarely saw an emergency where weed caused anywhere near the issues that alcohol did. I also found the whole "gateway" drug thing to be overblown. I know plenty of weed users that are weed users only, not even alcohol.

I don't smoke weed for several reasons. First, it would be illegal for me to do so and keep my A class CDL. Second, there's that pesky issue of the question on form 4473's and I'm an FFL. Third, I consider smoking anything to be idiotic. We've known a long time that smoking cigarettes is deadly, and studies are starting to show that weed smoking might be just as bad. If I need a little relaxer at the end of the day, I drink a nice Scotch or rarely a beer.

I'm not a user, but Marijuana has long been the #1 industry in far Northern California so I've met folks at all levels of distribution over the years. The biggest problem is the federal banking prohibition makes the multi-billion cash industry a ripe target for criminals. We've also seen an increase in Mexican cartels operating illegal grows in our state & national parks. Unlike the original hippies who started growing here 50 years ago, the cartels do not give a rat's ass about the environment and leave lots of damage in their wake.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    My biggest concern with legal weed is that for years the cries of the legalize it crowd have relied on, "Less dangerous than alcohol." - Which the average stupid person takes to mean, "No big deal if I smoke some and drive. It's legal and safer than alcohol!"

Unfortunately, we haven't caught up on delivering the message that legal weed consumption should be treated like alcohol consumption. It should be done responsibly.

Alas, judging by the number of alcohol related DUIs, we haven't really conveyed that message very well either.

While I'm all for generating tax revenue with legal recreational marijuana. I fully expect that by Feb 1, 2020 when recreational marijuana has been legal for 30 days in Illinois, we will have seen a double-digit percentage increase in DUIs.
    If Illinois is like the other states that have legalized marijuana, you should expect a marked increase in DUI for the first 6 months and then a decline, settling in at a ~6% overall increase (or 1 additional death per 1 million people). https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/5/18...-public-health

Illegal product is generally less expensive, although you can find some high potency strains on the black market that cost more that just aren't available in dispensaries.

Word of mouth is probably the #1 way people find out where to get it, but apps/sites like weedmaps will probably replace that in the next decade.

If anyone is interested in the economics of the drug trade, I highly recommend Narconomics by Tom Wainwright: https://www.amazon.com/Narconomics-How-Run-Drug-Cartel/

There are definite downsides to marijuana, sure. Any rational look at the issue should consider positive and negative effects and compare those with the positive and negative effects of prohibition.

I also think a lot of the problem kids/people drawn to drugs would still have problems without drugs. Blaming the drug reminds me a bit of blaming the gun for gun violence: there may be some "common sense" truth to it, but it obscures a lot of the underlying issues.

User Tag List