Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Might just keep this GP100 Match Champion...

Quote Originally Posted by Salamander View Post
    With the new sights and new stocks:

Attachment 42680

These are much better, only slightly taller than the Ruger compact grips (but shorter then the Match Champion stocks), quite a bit more girth around the bottom. They are very slightly more squared off, not much.

Attachment 42681

I actually wish they were a bit bigger. Will try to shoot it in the next day or two and see how they work.

Net investment so far: $54 + $35 = $89 plus shipping.

The Hogue 44 sp grips mentioned above appear to be a rubber version of Hogue's factory match Champion stocks, same hump on the backstrap, same reduced width and length at the bottom. Those don't work for me.
    Great grips either way (and nice inserts, Salamander). While I personally prefer the Compact Ruger/Altamont grips (for what they provide to me in ergonomics, hand positioning, and recoil absorption/dissipation), others, such as yourself, prefer the larger, full-size Ruger/Altamont ones. It's a personal choice-whichever works ergonomically best for you is the best choice, and both are relatively inexpensive enough to experiment with.

Best, Jon

Put about 150 rounds downrange tonight and it shoots much better now. Dramatically better sight picture which allowed me to shoot more quickly and start building a cadence. The new grips aren't perfect but they're close, a whole lot better than before and I can work with these. One of the nice features of the Altamonts is the generous speedloader cut, even 180 gr hardcast 357 loads in a Comp II slide in there very easily with clearance to spare.

With some loads, DA group sizes are now comparable to what I typically do with a compact semi-auto at the same distances, although I did have a bit of a flinch going tonight and as a result threw a few fliers (but mostly with mid-level loads, magnums were fine, go figure). With practice and a little fine tuning it will be possible to do better than that. I see a rainy season project ahead, but first need to load some more 38/357.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Great grips either way (and nice inserts, Salamander). While I personally prefer the Compact Ruger/Altamont grips (for what they provide to me in ergonomics, hand positioning, and recoil absorption/dissipation), others, such as yourself, prefer the larger, full-size Ruger/Altamont ones. It's a personal choice-whichever works ergonomically best for you is the best choice, and both are relatively inexpensive enough to experiment with.

Best, Jon
    I'm for sure keeping the compacts, and if I ever need to carry this setup in town they will likely go back on for a while. They do conceal more easily, and while a bit small for me I can make them work. Great to have choices; different people, different hands, different situations.
    Last edited by Salamander; 09-19-2019 at 01:52 AM.

Have you done any action work? I've found the Match Champion, and GP100s in general, benefit greatly from a set of Wilson Combat springs.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    Have you done any action work? I've found the Match Champion, and GP100s in general, benefit greatly from a set of Wilson Combat springs.
    Not yet, but those helped a lot on my SP-101. Could become one of the rainy season projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Salamander View Post
    Not yet, but those helped a lot on my SP-101. Could become one of the rainy season projects.
    Depending on how involved you want to get, it can be as fast as an afternoon project. I get my match guns set so low that they'll only crack federal primers.

User Tag List