Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .40 Renovation/AKA I'm Not Dead Yet!

Site Supporter

.40 Renovation/AKA I'm Not Dead Yet!

This is my was my Duty Pistol which was given to me when I retired. Ironically the last 3 digits of the serial number are 822, which is the date I retired. It started life as a Gen 3 Glock 22. ( That's Right a Get you Killed In The Streets .40). We've rode together for more than a few miles. As you can see, I've done a few modifications. Slide Cut for a Trijicon RMR, Ameriglo Suppressor Sights, Vickers Slide and Magazine Releases, Vickers Flat Trigger, Gadget SCD, I undercut the Trigger Guard, Removed the Finger Grooves and Flattened the Backstrap and did the Stippling. A Streamlight TLR 1 HL Rounds out the package. I also have a 9mm Lonewolf Conversion Barrel and complete 9mm internals and magazines when I shoot 9mm. Yes I know the whole 9mm is King .40 is Dead thing. I can shoot either caliber at my Rate of Assessment and either caliber will get the job done, and with a full conversion 9mm is just as reliable as .40 is in this pistol and vice versa.Name:  Duty.40.jpg
Views: 783
Size:  100.7 KB
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

Quote Originally Posted by MDFA View Post
    This is my was my Duty Pistol which was given to me when I retired. Ironically the last 3 digits of the serial number are 822, which is the date I retired. It started life as a Gen 3 Glock 22. ( That's Right a Get you Killed In The Streets .40). We've rode together for more than a few miles. As you can see, I've done a few modifications. Slide Cut for a Trijicon RMR, Ameriglo Suppressor Sights, Vickers Slide and Magazine Releases, Vickers Flat Trigger, Gadget SCD, I undercut the Trigger Guard, Removed the Finger Grooves and Flattened the Backstrap and did the Stippling. A Streamlight TLR 1 HL Rounds out the package. I also have a 9mm Lonewolf Conversion Barrel and complete 9mm internals and magazines when I shoot 9mm. Yes I know the whole 9mm is King .40 is Dead thing. I can shoot either caliber at my Rate of Assessment and either caliber will get the job done, and with a full conversion 9mm is just as reliable as .40 is in this pistol and vice versa.Name:  Duty.40.jpg
Views: 783
Size:  100.7 KB
    Nice! I’m planning on doing a similar thing with my first duty gun, a G22 RTF2, that I bought off my previous Dept when we went Gen4.

Site Supporter
    Nice set up!

I still like the 40. And I still really like the G22. And I really really like the Gen4 G22.

I think the 40 and associated pistols will gain hipster status in the not-too-distant future.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vista461 View Post
    Nice! I’m planning on doing a similar thing with my first duty gun, a G22 RTF2, that I bought off my previous Dept when we went Gen4.
    I'd keep the RTF frame as-is; I have an RTF G17 and would never want to stipple it. Probably my favorite grip texture for range/match purposes on any pistol.

Not super great for IWB carry, however.

re: .40 I have a Gen4 G35 that I keep thinking I should get rid of but can't bring myself to. It is irrationally fun to shoot. Recoil impulse really isn't bad at all.
    Last edited by Nephrology; 09-14-2019 at 09:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I'd keep the RTF frame as-is; I have an RTF G17 and would never want to stipple it. Probably my favorite grip texture for range/match purposes on any pistol.

Not super great for IWB carry, however.

re: .40 I have a Gen4 G35 that I keep thinking I should get rid of but can't bring myself to. It is irrationally fun to shoot. Recoil impulse really isn't bad at all.
    I meant as far as the RMR and light. I love the RTF2, the only way I’d like it more is if it came with a Gen4 style mag release.

Quote Originally Posted by Vista461 View Post
    My Wife’s duty gun was an RTF2 G22. She says that it is the one gun she will keep no matter what. She has a factory all FDE G22 also with a couple of matching CAG magazines. That’s her spare gun.

I made it a regular practice that anytime I see G22 magazines on sale (which is pretty often) I buy as many as I can afford. I bought her so many that she has told me to stop a couple of times. I honestly don’t know how many magazines she has now......50ish?

I see trade in G22s all the time for $249.00 to $349.00 I am definitely buying one for myself.

I see .40 caliber handguns from other manufacturers for sale cheap pretty often as well. I like it when I see references on FB groups to “.40 junk” or “shame that gun is a .40, it would be really good otherwise.” and so on. It reminds of a line from Baby Got Back “So they toss it and leave it And I pull up quick to retrieve it” There isn’t anything wrong with the .40 except it isn’t fashionable anymore.

Site Supporter
    Sentiment aside, if you want to shoot 40 out of a Glock gen 4s tolerate 40 cal much better than Gen 2 or 3.

PD Trade Gen 4 G22’s are under $300 if you look.

Site Supporter
    I wonder if. 40s and, 45s will come back into favor if a mag cap gets passed?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Sentiment aside, if you want to shoot 40 out of a Glock gen 4s tolerate 40 cal much better than Gen 2 or 3.

PD Trade Gen 4 G22’s are under $300 if you look.
    This along with the earlier post about stocking mags deep when they come up cheap has my curiosity, wasn't really looking to get back in the Glock world yet... but that is a great price for those and I am sure the mags are similarly awesomely priced when they come up.

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlwind06 View Post
    I wonder if. 40s and, 45s will come back into favor if a mag cap gets passed?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    No doubt in my mind, even without mag capacity bans. People like new trends and being on the side of those "clued in"...which changes like the seasons. Not all that long ago hardly anybody would imagine several new 10mm releases.

9mm will keep the crown though. It makes the most sense in the small 18-24oz CCW pistols that sell like hotcakes. For the duty size pistols in large agencies, almost as good performance = good enough if it's cheaper and easier.

Individuals who can purchase a separate 9mm barrel, or at least remember to swap RSA every 2.5-3,000 rds and actually get new mags now and then, have more options.

People will have to start bugging the manufacturers though. It benefits the big names in ammo and pistols to just keep pumping out 9mm this and that, spending less on tooling and materials.

User Tag List