Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone with experience with Missouri Bullet's coated Elmer .45 Colt?

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar

Anyone with experience with Missouri Bullet's coated Elmer .45 Colt?

http://missouribullet.com/details.ph...0&secondary=14

Seeking feedback for the above bullet for some mid-level Unique loads and some "+P" type loads. Nothing "Ruger only" levels, mind you.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Ive shot some of the original lyman mould of Keiths. it was Herco powder at about 1000 fps. Not sure how the coating will affect it, but the bullet seems very good.

That bullet has always shot well for me with medium loads. What I believed to be a factory equivalent load (8 1/2 grs Unique/250-ish gr various cast) turned out to be 925 fps in a 4 5/8" barrel Ruger. Oh well, good enough.

The Herco load, two hands standing (offhand) 27 yards, Ruger 45 Colt

Name:  Ruger 45 target.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  62.3 KB
    Last edited by Malamute; 09-13-2019 at 10:09 PM.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    http://missouribullet.com/details.ph...0&secondary=14

Seeking feedback for the above bullet for some mid-level Unique loads and some "+P" type loads. Nothing "Ruger only" levels, mind you.
    What velocity are you anticipating?

I've loaded about 200 of those but in the softer lead (12 Brinnell). I like em. I use them for the local bowling pin match.
    I did however have leading when I pushed them to 900 FPS.

And what other feedback are you looking for?

I have also successfully used MBC 250 RNFP with the Hi-Tek coating.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiledviking View Post
    What velocity are you anticipating?

I've loaded about 200 of those but in the softer lead (12 Brinnell). I like em. I use them for the local bowling pin match.
    I did however have leading when I pushed them to 900 FPS.

And what other feedback are you looking for?

I have also successfully used MBC 250 RNFP with the Hi-Tek coating.
    Consistency, accuracy, cleanliness. Pet loads. That sort of thing.

I've not shot that specific bullet but I've shot many thousands of Hi-Tek coated bullets in .38 short colt, 9mm, .40SW all the way to .45ACP. The Hi-Tek coating is the best thing since sliced bread in terms of shooting cast lead. They are vastly cleaner to load and also to shoot. No worries about a hot garage melting the wax lube. They do smoke some when fired but it's exponentially less than conventional lead bullets.

I currently use them mostly in 9mm and the 122NLG bullet from ACME works in .357 Sig for practice loads. Normal handgun calibers don't come near the velocity limit of the coating. I'm thinking of breaking out my Lyman 358156 mold and buying some Hi-Tek coating for them. I doubt that I ever shoot a conventional lead bullet again except for maybe 147HBWC in .38SP, they seem to shoot better than the coated DEWC bullets in my guns but that is due to design, not the coating. It's either Hi-Tek or jacketed for me from now on.

Try 'em, you'll like 'em.

Tagged.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Are these similar to the Syntech bullets?

Site Supporter
    Reading the ad told me that the diameter is correct at .452. Hardness at 18 is very high. This means that the bullet may not obturate or bump up from pressure when fired at standard pressure. Lack of obturation might cause some leading. Ideally a softer bullet might perform better. In your search look at bullets made for cowboy action shooting. They are softer.

Some would say that I'm splitting hairs. The .45 Colt is an easy cartridge to reload. Missouri Bullet Company has an excellent reputation. They might send a sample pack. Call and chat.

@BehindBlueI's

Did you get a chance to try those bullets out? Im getting ready to place an order. My normal load is 9gr unique with rimrocks 255. I get some leading so would like to try out the coated ones.

I also need some .45acp bullets so i might try out some of their lighter coated bullets as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    @BehindBlueI's

Did you get a chance to try those bullets out? Im getting ready to place an order. My normal load is 9gr unique with rimrocks 255. I get some leading so would like to try out the coated ones.

I also need some .45acp bullets so i might try out some of their lighter coated bullets as well.
    Not yet, I got some locally sourced stuff on the cheap from a place shutting down and didn't order.

User Tag List