Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Shield Arms S15 Glock 43X/48 pre order open

I preferred one on Friday. I did not order the aluminum mag release. Should I have and if so why?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay23 View Post
    I preferred one on Friday. I did not order the aluminum mag release. Should I have and if so why?
    Probably yes because the mag release is polymer and is interacting with a alum mag catch so it will get chewed up eventually.

Thats my uninformed guess.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Now we need them to make 21 round mags for G19’s that are flush [emoji869]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Probably yes because the mag release is polymer and is interacting with a alum mag catch so it will get chewed up eventually.

Thats my uninformed guess.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
    I asked them about wear on the OEM release vs the magazines themselves a few weeks ago and their answer was there hasn't been any problems with wear, they just did the aluminum for those that worry about it.

Site Supporter
    I definitely feel better about a metal mag catch with metal mags.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    I’d rather have to replace a worn polymer mag release due to wear on it than a polymer frame from wear due to a metal mag catch. Likely? No, but we’re talking about small probabilities either way.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    That was my first thought too, then I thought about my M&Ps, my P07s, and my P2K and figured it was not as great of an issue perhaps. Plus I would worry more about damage to the frame from the catch as stated above.
    Polite Professional

Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    I’d rather have to replace a worn polymer mag release due to wear on it than a polymer frame from wear due to a metal mag catch. Likely? No, but we’re talking about small probabilities either way.
    During the *spit* Clinton '90's AWB full capacity factory Glock mags were scarce so many people used aftermarket steel mags that weren't as scarce (for the range, they had terrible reliability).
    Steel mag catches were mandatory because the steel body magazines did chew up the mag releases (FYI the steel mag release would chew up the plastic magazine retention notch on the mags) never had an issue with the steel release wearing on the frame.

Just a note from experience.
    Steel or aluminum on steel.
    Plastic on plastic.
    Any other combination resulted in the softer polymer getting chewed up, whether it was the mag or the release.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    During the *spit* Clinton '90's AWB full capacity factory Glock mags were scarce so many people used aftermarket steel mags that weren't as scarce (for the range, they had terrible reliability).
    Steel mag catches were mandatory because the steel body magazines did chew up the mag releases (FYI the steel mag release would chew up the plastic magazine retention notch on the mags) never had an issue with the steel release wearing on the frame.

Just a note from experience.
    Steel or aluminum on steel.
    Plastic on plastic.
    Any other combination resulted in the softer polymer getting chewed up, whether it was the mag or the release.
    Thank you. Aluminum release added to order. Now hopefully these mags will be reliable so I can order a few more.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by PD Sgt. View Post
    That was my first thought too, then I thought about my M&Ps, my P07s, and my P2K and figured it was not as great of an issue perhaps. Plus I would worry more about damage to the frame from the catch as stated above.
    I don't see frame damage happening. I can see mag catch wear dumping a mag on the ground under recoil.

User Tag List