Page 28 of 34 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Shield Arms S15 Glock 43X/48 pre order open

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Why?
    Once a revo is loaded and checked not much to go wrong. A semi can easily drop a mag in a scuffle or get a base plate ripped off. And based on the gun fight stats from this forum reloads don't happen.

And yes I always carry a reload for whatever kind of gat I have.

During my 36+ years as an LEO, I rarely carried anything other than a 5 shot J Frame (642/342Ti) as a BUG... The J Frame backed up my first issued SW 64 and eventually a Glock 19 and 23 and finally a G45.
    Off duty back in the day was the 64, eventually replaced by a Glock.

Recently retired, I all but retired my J Frames, and I have several in different configurations. I love my J Frames, I do, but I find a compact higher capacity auto loader (G19/45/43X/42/P365/Shadow MR918) easier to carry, conceal, manipulate and shoot accurately. Revolvers are great and in trained hands can run like a top. Most people do not train with a revolver (especially with reloads) to reach that level of proficiency.
    In general, they can be taught and trained to run a 9mm pistol much more proficiently.

Regarding reloads, I’m not expecting to get into another gunfight or a situation where i may run my pistol dry, but one never knows- that’s why I will never carry without at least one magazine for that reload.

And your examples of pistol malfunctions (”A semi can easily drop a mag in a scuffle or get a base plate ripped off”.) are very much not likely to occur based on my professional and personal experience. Sure a pistol can malfunction but I’ve seen my share of revolver malfunctions. And when a revolver goes down it cannot be cleared and put back into the fight as fast as a pistol.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    Once a revo is loaded and checked not much to go wrong. A semi can easily drop a mag in a scuffle or get a base plate ripped off. And based on the gun fight stats from this forum reloads don't happen.

There was a time when I was shooting 5,000-10,000 rounds per year through my handguns. Most of that was through semiautos, but my average round count between revolver trips back to the factory was less than my average round count between semiauto malfunctions, in all cases with good quality guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Another 200 rounds in the wee hours of the morning today. Early on that one magazine didn’t drop from slide lock, but later in the shooting it did.

Still shooting reloads, but mixed it up a little using a 147 round nose, versus flat, with a little more OAL. Also changes to some Win primers over the softer Feds, more so to validate the Apex parts.

So that’s 700 rounds into my 2K challenge, and the only issue is a mag dropping free. Slide lock has worked 100% thus far, with both the standard and extra power spring.

If available, I’ll try and pickup 2 more magazines next week. Still need to order up some SD loads, preferably 147 HST. Current environment rules out any local sources.
    Another 120 rounds through the G48 and Shield Arms magazine. 60 by me and 60 by the wife. The wife was a good test, as she has no grip strength. She managed to limp wrist jam my G34 three times. However, the G48 ran flawless for her, crammed with 15 rounds.

So 820 without cleaning or lubing. I don’t think I’m going to continue the 2K challenge though. I have no issue without cleaning, but no lube part seems, well, not something I should do.

Once I get a box of the good stuff through it, I’m deeming it good to go.

If you read the post I was responding to you might understand my comments better.

The poster was talking of not carrying a reload with a semi. I think this is a huge mistake. A reload with a semi can fix a lot of problems..... If a revolver has a problem usually a reload isn't the solution.

Yes I know revolvers have their problems too but I was trying to make a point.

I have an LEO friend who personally lost a base plate getting out of a car .....and two other officers he worked with lost base plates.... I'm not sure how ....so it does happen. After he lost his he no longer carried a semi in a ankle rig....went to a J.

I have an LEO friend who personally lost a base plate getting out of a car .....and two other officers he worked with lost base plates.... I'm not sure how ....so it does happen. After he lost his he no longer carried a semi in a ankle rig....went to a J.
    For clarification, back in the very early days, GLOCK offered a +2 floorplate/baseplate for their G17 and G19 magazines. They were a friction fit only and did have a tendency to become disattached from the magazines when struck or knocked at the end of the magazine. Those original +2 floorplates/baseplates were quickly replaced with ones that had an extra locking inset. But, as I said, that was in the early days, as in the early 90s. I wonder if the officers you refer to had/have the non-reinforced GLOCK +2 extensions...

Quote Originally Posted by Det1397 View Post
    For clarification, back in the very early days, GLOCK offered a +2 floorplate/baseplate for their G17 and G19 magazines. They were a friction fit only and did have a tendency to become disattached from the magazines when struck or knocked at the end of the magazine. Those original +2 floorplates/baseplates were quickly replaced with ones that had an extra locking inset. But, as I said, that was in the early days, as in the early 90s. I wonder if the officers you refer to had/have the non-reinforced GLOCK +2 extensions...

The one I know of was a g26 standard magazine in an ankle rig.... Still kind of has nothing to do with my original comment about not carrying a backup magazine for a semi-auto.....?

The one I know of was a g26 standard magazine in an ankle rig.... Still kind of has nothing to do with my original comment about not carrying a backup magazine for a semi-auto.....?
    He was responding to your data point of a semi becoming inoperable after losing its magazine baseplate. His comment was very much on topic.

Never heard of the “fear of the mag dropping” thing before.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Never heard of the “fear of the mag dropping” thing before.
    Me either. Check your gear, TRAIN with it and you should minimize the chances that you have a gear related fuck-up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List