Page 12 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Shield Arms S15 Glock 43X/48 pre order open

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by echo5charlie View Post
    Well, I'm now assuming you're the aforementioned engineer. Sorry, I can't help you any further.
    Your assumption is as baseless as your opinion. I have never been an Examiner and have no role in this application. Either can be verified on the USPTO website.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

The systemic hatred of sig sauer tends to cloud people’s judgement, it’s already been confirmed no cease and desist was ever served, yet they persist.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    In order to obtain a patent, the applicant has to draft claims to an invention which is novel (no one has done it before) and non-obvious (one skilled in the art and familiar with all prior or it would not find it obvious). Anything that existed prior to the filing date of the application is prior art, and can be used to show that the invention is either not novel or is obvious. If someone was making a magazine having this design before the patent application was filed, not only would they not owe Sig royalties, but that fact could be used to invalidate the patent.

Getting a patent is not an easy process, but it is well worth doing when something that is novel, non-obvious, and provides a competitive advantage is developed. In this case, Sig produced a magazine configuration that allows an unusually high capacity in an unusually thin pistol. Most inventions are small improvements over the prior art. The specific magazine structure may seem like a small change, but it is game changing in terms of what it achieves.

I have prepared and prosecuted patent applications for 22 years at this point and it is more difficult today than it was when I first started. Examiners are much stricter today in making sure that the requirements for patentability are met. As a result, we can be reasonably assured that any patent that has been issued within the past several years will be of generally good quality.
    Read my post above describing what it takes to obtain a patent.

A patent examiner who works in the firearms art, holds an engineering degree, and has looked at this in detail disagrees with you.
    Not long ago it seemed as if patents were granted regardless of prior art and the courts had to sort things out. Perhaps things have changed.

I would argue Sig did not create a magazine configuration that allows an unusually high capacity in an unusually thin pistol. Beretta 92 is considered a very thick pistol yet the 92 mags fit inside the P365 grip. Magazines that transition from a staggered or double feed into a single feed have been in use long before the P365 appeared as an idea in some designers thinking cap.

Your assumption is as baseless as your opinion. I have never been an Examiner and have no role in this application. Either can be verified on the USPTO website.

Yay for you? Perhaps we can take this to PM or a phone call if you feel the need to further any discussion on how awesome you are.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 36trap View Post
    Not long ago it seemed as if patents were granted regardless of prior art and the courts had to sort things out. Perhaps things have changed.

I would argue Sig did not create a magazine configuration that allows an unusually high capacity in an unusually thin pistol. Beretta 92 is considered a very thick pistol yet the 92 mags fit inside the P365 grip. Magazines that transition from a staggered or double feed into a single feed have been in use long before the P365 appeared as an idea in some designers thinking cap.
    The examiner rejected the claims as initially filed based on prior art references showing tapered magazines with multiple configurations. The allowed claims require a very specific magazine wall configuration. It is more than a mere tapered magazine.

Is it possible to fit a Beretta magazine in far enough to potentially chamber a round? When inserted that far, are the same number of rounds within the space of the grip?

More importantly for the claims, does the Beretta magazine have the specific claimed taper configuration between the top and double stack portion: a sloped wall, above a vertical wall, above another sloped wall, above the double stack portion? That was the specific limitation that resulted in allowance.

It seems like a little difference, but that little difference is what makes a big difference.

Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Well despite whatever patent Sig obtains I have absolutely no desire to purchase a 365. I have a 43 and 43x and knowing the possible 15 round 43x mags are, will, or were being manufactured by checkmate is enough to keep me away from them

If I had a desire to carry a small pistol with more than 10 rounds on board, I’d spend my money on a hellcat at before I would accept a 365 for free just based on the principle of owning a currently produced Sig.

With their current line of business practice I will let my wallet do my talking.

TXPO
    Last edited by Texaspoff; 11-16-2019 at 09:54 PM.
    ColdBoreCustom.com
    Certified Glock Armorer
    Certified P320 Armorer
    Certified M&P LE Armorer

Is there actually any evidence that a cease and desist was issued???

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Texaspoff View Post
    Well despite whatever patent Sig obtains I have absolutely no desire to purchase a 365. I have a 43 and 43x and knowing the possible 15 round 43x mags are, will, or were being manufactured by checkmate is enough to keep me away from them

If I had a desire to carry a small pistol with more than 10 rounds on board, I’d spend my money on a hellcat at before I would accept a 365 for free just based on the principle of owning a currently produced Sig.

With their current line of business practice I will let my wallet do my talking.

TXPO
    Thought you were diggin the 320?

Site Supporter
    While I am not in a position to know whether a cease and desist was sent or not, or whether such a letter would have merit in this case, the mere sending of a cease and desist does not, by itself, ensure compliance. When one of my clients receives a cease and desist letter, there is at least a 50% likelihood that I am going to tell the sender to pound salt. Not all cease and desist letters have a strong basis.

Site Supporter
    This thread needs more pictures.

Name:  sig-sauer-365-9mm-subcompact-12rd-magazine-mag-365-9-12_front.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  11.6 KB

Photo from the GunMag Warehouse website.

EDIT: I have no connection with GunMag Warehouse aside from placing a couple of orders from them over the past few years.
    Last edited by pangloss; 11-16-2019 at 11:13 PM.

User Tag List