Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24323334

Thread: Shield Arms S15 Glock 43X/48 pre order open

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Cool. Very interested in your results. I especially focused on 15+1 and low-round count scenarios. Have you run any magazines at 2 or 3 rounds, to check for fail to feed malfunctions at the end of a mag? Just curious.
    I haven't, but I'll give it a whirl next range trip. Has the "end of mag" functioning been an issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Super77 View Post
    I haven't, but I'll give it a whirl next range trip. Has the "end of mag" functioning been an issue?
    Not as relates to the Shield mags: I should explain: I had my G48 slide milled for a 507k. When it returned, I was verifying function with my (at the time) normal SD ammo, Speer Gold Dot 124+p. I had three instances using that ammo where the later rounds in the mag would stick on the feed ramp, thusly:

Name:  IMG_8888i.jpg
Views: 983
Size:  79.4 KB

The above was with a GLOCK factory magazine. I switched over the Federal 147 HST and had no further issues. However, since the S15 magazines are new to me, I wanted to try that same scenario with them and my (current) carry ammo. Hence, loading a series of tests involving low round count magazines. I'm happy to say that I did not experience any malfunctions with the Shield Magazines, however I don't plan to return to the Speer Gold Dot 124+p either, as carry ammo is too $$$ to try and re-verify the same malfunction with the new mags (I suspect from what I've been told in other threads the timing of the G48 is such that certain ammo will not run; the 124 GD +p being mentioned specifically.)

So, while this doesn't really relate to the Shield mags, I wanted to verify it wasn't a problem (and it does not appear to be).

Put another 50 rounds of Blazer Brass 124 through the S15 gen 2’s today, total of 157 rounds through the two.

Had one fail to chamber which I’ll chalk up to the ammo. Otherwise no issues, including two mags of 15+1 and several loaded with two rounds to try and induce malfunctions.

They are marginally easier to load to 15 now, but still requires an Uplula.

Name:  7F914927-4F65-41E0-87D3-A132286D2A19.jpg
Views: 650
Size:  89.4 KB
    Last edited by RJ; 06-22-2021 at 01:38 PM.

any downsides to their steel magazine catch on the OEM polymer mags?
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Yes. While you can load and shoot with the OEM mag and the steel catch (I use an OEM for a Barney mag), the OEM mag will no longer drop free and must be manually removed. The effort to pull the mag out is not high, however.

Shield specifically recommends the steel mag catch with the steel S15s. I did not test the use case of the gen 2 S15s with the OEM catch, so I don't know about that situation.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Yes. While you can load and shoot with the OEM mag and the steel catch (I use an OEM for a Barney mag), the OEM mag will no longer drop free and must be manually removed. The effort to pull the mag out is not high, however.

Shield specifically recommends the steel mag catch with the steel S15s. I did not test the use case of the gen 2 S15s with the OEM catch, so I don't know about that situation.
    I have no problem with OEM mags dropping free on either of my G48 pistols using the Shield Arms mag releases.

I do not use the OEM mags because I have several of the SA15 magazines but I did test them when I first installed the steel mag release on each gun.

I've been told that eventually the steel mag catch will wear on the OEM magazines enough to cause problems.

Put another 50 rounds of Blazer Brass 124 through the S15 gen 2’s today, total of 157 rounds through the two.

Had one fail to chamber which I’ll chalk up to the ammo.
    Do you recall how many rounds were left in the magazine when it failed?

Also, what manner of failure was it? Was it trying to feed or did it nosedive into the bottom of the feed ramp?

Quote Originally Posted by Spart View Post
    Do you recall how many rounds were left in the magazine when it failed?

Also, what manner of failure was it? Was it trying to feed or did it nosedive into the bottom of the feed ramp?
    Since I attributed it to ammo (or the gun), I put the details in the mega Glock 48 thread, at this post:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....=1#post1234971

Sample of one but I bought one gen 2 mag on a whim and it loads and unloads by hand much smoother than a gen 1 I tried a few months back. No live fire yet.

Got an in stock alert from Brownells this morning, singles and 3 packs are available.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

User Tag List