Page 31 of 34 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Shield Arms S15 Glock 43X/48 pre order open

I've had a poor experience with the Shield mags. I pre-ordered 3 mags for my G48 when they were first announced along with their aluminum mag catch. I was getting repeated FTF and nosedives from all 3 magazines. I tried their extra power springs, but that didn't solve the problems. I never could figure out what the issue was, so I ended up giving the mags away to someone who wanted to try them.

If I only had problems with one mag I would have attributed it to getting a lemon, but all 3 having problems made me think something is inherantly wrong with the design. Even when they did work correctly, the feeding was never as "smooth" as with OEM mags. Maybe some individual guns just don't like them. That might explain why I had a ton of problems from the start while others seem to have no issues over thousands of rounds.

I have ft. Our, plus their mag catch to go with a yet to be fired 48. Ammo crunch and some other constraints have kept me from giving the gun and mags a workout. A good friend and fellow retired cop has one with two mags. His have been solid, whichnis why intook a chance. I like the way the 48 feels in my hand better than the 19. My thoughts were to use the 15 rounders in non ban states, and the tens should I be traveling through an area with restrictions. The reviews on these things seem to be mixed, varying between "best thing since sliced bread" to total garbage. This gives me considerable pause on putting them in to service, especially since I forsee no travel to any ban states in my future. I may just table the whole proposition and either stick with the factory mags (wheneverv I get around to vetting the gun itself) or, seeing the ridiculous prices Glock are going for now, sell the whole package and put the money towards some tune ups on some J frames or RMRs

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by js475 View Post
    I've had a poor experience with the Shield mags. I pre-ordered 3 mags for my G48 when they were first announced along with their aluminum mag catch. I was getting repeated FTF and nosedives from all 3 magazines. I tried their extra power springs, but that didn't solve the problems. I never could figure out what the issue was, so I ended up giving the mags away to someone who wanted to try them.

If I only had problems with one mag I would have attributed it to getting a lemon, but all 3 having problems made me think something is inherantly wrong with the design. Even when they did work correctly, the feeding was never as "smooth" as with OEM mags. Maybe some individual guns just don't like them. That might explain why I had a ton of problems from the start while others seem to have no issues over thousands of rounds.
    Was the manufacturer any help in troubleshooting before you gave the mags away?
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlwind06 View Post
    From the link:

"But have you tried...?" Hey, if I wanted to maybe have to dick around with a gun to make it run reliably, I'd buy a Kimber.
    Tamara, leave me and my poorfag 1911 alone. So what if I want to mess with the mags? $400 was all I had

Only complaint is that the extractor works flawlessly

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post
    Was the manufacturer any help in troubleshooting before you gave the mags away?
    I sent them back to Shield, and they replaced the followers and added the extra power springs. They said they couldn't find anything particularly wrong with my mags. The mags worked better when I got them back, but I was still getting FTFs and nosedives once every other mag or so with all 3 mags. After reading about others who have also had similar issues, I decided that I would never be able to trust them on a carry gun and got rid of them.

Quote Originally Posted by backtrail540 View Post
    Tam had a post mentioning a dude having big problems in a Given's class and Tom saying he hadn't seen any run well yet.

https://booksbikesboomsticks.blogspo...-actually.html
    I've got about 500 rounds of reloads using these and their mag catch, no issues.
    #RESIST

I don’t have any of these magazines but have been following closely, as I frequently carry a 43X/48. Here are my thoughts.

As someone who has used 140mm magazines in CO in various platforms, I am convinced they are less reliable than standard capacity magazines. The springs have a much shorter life and need regular replacement, unlike standard magazine springs.

The great thing about the 365 and XL is their mag capacity. The magazines also seem like the weakest part of that pistol as they rust, are sensitive to loading and generally seem less robust than a Glock magazine. I believe the same manufacturer makes the 365 and Shield magazines.

Since the only change to the 43X/48 is a different mag release, I don’t see a big downside to trying Shield magazines, but I am not at the point I would trust carrying them as I would rather have 10+1 for almost sure than maybe 15.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    2k at least. Given the 43x and 48 have had issues passing agency testing with the factory mags I want to see more than a couple hundred rounds before considering these.
    What issues with factory mags? Or issues in general?
    Thanks

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    What issues with factory mags? Or issues in general?
    Thanks
    In general, not the factory mags themselves.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    In general, not the factory mags themselves.
    Did the original 43s have as many issues?

User Tag List