Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Watch Repair

Send it in. That movement can be regulated tighter than that.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Send it in. That movement can be regulated tighter than that.
    Yup. Even though 10sec/day is within spec, it can get better. My home-assembled watch referenced above is

My NH35 movement (Seiko's 4r35 movement for non-Seiko watch makers) is currently running about -3sec/day out of the box, which is just insane for a $40 ebay movement. I regulated my old Orange Monster 7s26 movement to less than 10 seconds without sending it in. It's not hard. With smartphone-based watch timing apps, it's even easier now.

Chris

A 4R35 movement that is within 10 seconds a day, leave it be. If you desire greater time keeping accuracy go atomic or high precision quartz for a watch movement. Automatic watch movements have come along way in the past 20 years but don't get caught up in the argument for accuracy with them. If the watch movement was +/- 5 minutes a day i would possibly consider servicing. My 10 year old 6R15 beater keeps better time then my Omega PO 2500C.

Quote Originally Posted by Simong View Post
    If you don't mind to let us/me know your experience, I might send him my GMT Seamaster as well.

T.I.A

Simong.

I'll post back here...good, bad or ugly.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Where do you guys draw the line on value of the watch vs price to have it fixed? I was once quoted $500 to fix a watch I paid $125 for, which was a big pile of "nope" for me. Loved the watch, but that seemed insane to me.

I just faced this same decision a few weeks ago after receiving a call from the tech at Universal watch repair. I had sent an under $400 Tracer diver back to have the battery replaced. He called to say that the now 7 year old watch's battery still had plenty of life but was now slowing down due to drag. Apparently the $140 maintenance he was quoting is similar to changing the oil in a car, with the internals lubricant now gone. Said its just par for the course and should be factored into the cost of ownership.
    Caught slightly off guard, I asked that they just send it back. I have another Seiko diver automatic that was losing more than a couple minutes a day, not doubt suffering the same condition.
    My temporary solution was to plug a new battery into a first generation Suunto Vector that has zero moving parts until I figure out if I want to drop $300 on getting the other two serviced.
    Last edited by Doublestack45; 09-15-2019 at 08:38 AM.
    It doesn’t have to be fun to be fun ― Mark Twight

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Where do you guys draw the line on value of the watch vs price to have it fixed? I was once quoted $500 to fix a watch I paid $125 for, which was a big pile of "nope" for me. Loved the watch, but that seemed insane to me.
    This is why I avoid “affordable” sub $1000 mechanicals. Below that price you’re better off with quartz, because your servicing cost becomes $10 yearly for the 24 month battery change. Or $4 per year with a self charging Citizen. ($80 service/20 years).

The price floor for a quality service is about $250 , and some parts will likely need changing - which drives up the cost. Figure $500 worst case for a service, which is easily above the value of most affordable mechanicals by the time they need work. As with most things, for watches it’s “buy once cry once”. Not only do official services by Rolex and Omega involve comprehensive reconditioning of the whole watch, the service cost is less then 20% of the watch value and is only needed between seven and ten years with the newer models. Quite reasonable, versus spending 120% of the “affordable” watches value on service once it develops a problem.

A cheaper Seiko can be a fun watch, but if it breaks you’re selling it for parts and getting another one. For a piece with real longevity , save up and do it right.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    This is why I avoid “affordable” sub $1000 mechanicals. Below that price you’re better off with quartz, because your servicing cost becomes $10 yearly for the 24 month battery change. Or $4 per year with a self charging Citizen. ($80 service/20 years).
    So then you're saying that the Lum-Tec C7 ($645) I've had my eye on for a while would be a bad buy? Or do the lines in the description about lifetime free movement timing regulation and lifetime free pressure testing and seal lubrication/cleaning exempt it from that?

Checking to see if your watch has been magnetized is an easy first step using your Smartphone, is free, and could save a great deal of time and expense returning a watch for service. Download the Lepsi app to your smartphone, and follow the instructions. If your watch is not magnetized, then proceed with your return. If you watch is magnetized, then the fix is easy, and does not require opening the caseback. Most jewelers can perform this service, or you can purchase a cheap demagnetizer from Amazon for under $20, and service the watch yourself.

I diagnosed both a U1 and an Omega Seamaster 300M that were running erratically with the smartphone app; the watches had become magnetized. After applying the demagnetizer, both watches are running quite well (particularly the Omega, which is currently running an average +.3/day over the past ~60 days).
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    That's a tough one. Omega servicing for my Seamaster would run about $500. I paid just over twice that for the watch when new in 2003. Yesterday I saw pre-owned versions of my watch going for over $2500 online (when they were available).

I guess you have to factor these various data points into the decision.

I was loathe to pay $500 for the Omega service...but I'm okay with paying the $175 (assuming that the watch comes back having been competently serviced).

Part of the reason for the reluctance to drop a lot of money is that I rarely wear a watch these days. It's mostly jewelry for going out or occasions.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

User Tag List