Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Watch Repair

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    So then you're saying that the Lum-Tec C7 ($645) I've had my eye on for a while would be a bad buy? Or do the lines in the description about lifetime free movement timing regulation and lifetime free pressure testing and seal lubrication/cleaning exempt it from that?
    I’m not sure what the “free regulation” encompasses; id conclude that only applies to regulating the watch, and not any service or long term care afterwards.

The NH35 is a very robust entry level movement. However, low as the odds are of an issue if it does malfunction, you’re looking at $250 at minimum to fix it. That’s 38% of the $645 new value of the watch; and it’s not a Rolex, so odds are you’ll be “upside down” like the OP by the time it needs maintenance.

I personally wouldn’t order it, but I’m not big into Lum Tec. It’s your watch so buy what you like, just know the risk.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    I’m not sure what the “free regulation” encompasses; id conclude that only applies to regulating the watch, and not any service or long term care afterwards.

The NH35 is a very robust entry level movement. However, low as the odds are of an issue if it does malfunction, you’re looking at $250 at minimum to fix it. That’s 38% of the $645 new value of the watch; and it’s not a Rolex, so odds are you’ll be “upside down” like the OP by the time it needs maintenance.

I personally wouldn’t order it, but I’m not big into Lum Tec. It’s your watch so buy what you like, just know the risk.
    Thanks - I appreciate the input, and it gives me some things to think about. I'm not a watch collector, and this would be for everyday wear, so I'm not really worried about future resale value, but knowing what to expect in terms of repair costs down the road allows me to go in with my eyes open should I decide to buy.

Site Supporter
    Keep in mind the Seiko workhorse movements (7s26, 4R35/4R36, their aftermarket movements such as the NH35/NH36, etc) are all quite robust and should run a good 10+ years without needing service.

So...

At 10yrs per watch, you could buy a new Lum Tech every decade for the rest of your life and not spend Rolex money. Of course, you stand a good chance of getting your money out of the Rolex at the end, so there's that.

I'd treat an heirloom or gift from a special person differently and might even put more into repairs than the actual value, but that's a different matter.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Keep in mind the Seiko workhorse movements (7s26, 4R35/4R36, their aftermarket movements such as the NH35/NH36, etc) are all quite robust and should run a good 10+ years without needing service.

So...

At 10yrs per watch, you could buy a new Lum Tech every decade for the rest of your life and not spend Rolex money.
    It could also be pretty reasonable to buy now, expect to service in 10 years, and then expect to buy another watch 10 years after servicing the first one. $645 + $250 = $895. $895 spread over 20 years is less than $4 per month, which sounds pretty OK...

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I'll post back here...good, bad or ugly.
    I'll be watching. I have a SeaMaster that needs tlc.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    Checking to see if your watch has been magnetized is an easy first step using your Smartphone, is free, and could save a great deal of time and expense returning a watch for service. Download the Lepsi app to your smartphone, and follow the instructions. If your watch is not magnetized, then proceed with your return. If you watch is magnetized, then the fix is easy, and does not require opening the caseback. Most jewelers can perform this service, or you can purchase a cheap demagnetizer from Amazon for under $20, and service the watch yourself.

I diagnosed both a U1 and an Omega Seamaster 300M that were running erratically with the smartphone app; the watches had become magnetized. After applying the demagnetizer, both watches are running quite well (particularly the Omega, which is currently running an average +.3/day over the past ~60 days).

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    I'd try using the Lepsi app to determine if your watch has been magnetized, which is an increasingly common condition.

If so, cheap demagnetizers are available from Amazon.
    I got the app and my watch is magnetized, thanks you two. Now which Chinese demagnetizer with badly instructions to get. There are several on Amazon that look similar from $9 to $15. I may try the local jeweler first. I'll hit Harbor freight too and see what they've got.

P.S. I should have known this was a possible cause.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    I replaced the movement of a similar Seiko 5 (originally same movement as yours). The movement and related tools cost well under $100. Setting the hands is a bit tedious (cheap 6x readers helped), as was cutting the new stem, but the result was a watch that not only loses only a minute every two weeks, but offers hand-winding and hacking, unlike the original.

Chris
    I have always had an interest of working on my own watches but with everything else I do and my big fat aging fingers, I feel I would end up rushing and screw up a bunch of cheap watches and eventually quit.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post

Re paying for a Seiko service. I suspecSriko has a couple of hours in the watch from beginning to end on an individual service basis. If they’re paying their technician $25 an hour that’s $50. A few dollars in parts plus profit. It Doesn’t strike me as being unreasonable to charge $118 to fix that watch given it’s now a onesie as opposed to something being made on the factory floor and that economy of scale.

FWIW/YMMV

I don't think it is unreasonable and I just got my Orange Monster back from them a couple of months ago and they serviced my Air Diver last year. When they quoted the price which is $13 more than I paid for the watch, I was hoping someone knew a Bill or a Bob that would work on a watch for a bottle of good bourbon.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    This is why I avoid “affordable” sub $1000 mechanicals. Below that price you’re better off with quartz, because your servicing cost becomes $10 yearly for the 24 month battery change. Or $4 per year with a self charging Citizen. ($80 service/20 years).

The price floor for a quality service is about $250 , and some parts will likely need changing - which drives up the cost. Figure $500 worst case for a service, which is easily above the value of most affordable mechanicals by the time they need work. As with most things, for watches it’s “buy once cry once”. Not only do official services by Rolex and Omega involve comprehensive reconditioning of the whole watch, the service cost is less then 20% of the watch value and is only needed between seven and ten years with the newer models. Quite reasonable, versus spending 120% of the “affordable” watches value on service once it develops a problem.

A cheaper Seiko can be a fun watch, but if it breaks you’re selling it for parts and getting another one. For a piece with real longevity , save up and do it right.
    On my firefighters salary, a $500 watch is expensive. I have cooked lesser watches that runs on a battery and found the Seiko mechanicals to be good enough to wear daily. When I retire in a few years I am going to use some of my 401k money to get a Breitling that I have had my eye on for years.

Thanks again to everyone, Forrest
    Last edited by Crazy Dane; 09-17-2019 at 09:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FES313 View Post
    I got the app and my watch is magnetized, thanks you two. Now which Chinese demagnetizer with badly instructions to get. There are several on Amazon that look similar from $9 to $15. I may try the local jeweler first. I'll hit Harbor freight too and see what they've got.

P.S. I should have known this was a possible cause.
    Glad to help. I think I read somewhere that one major manufacturer reported that 40% of the watches they had serviced for accuracy issues had become magnetized, so it is an increasingly common condition. The Lepsi app really makes it easy to diagnose. I have new appreciation for the efforts of companies like Sinn and Omega to harden their watches against magnetic fields.

As for the demagnetizer, I ordered this one from Amazon. To your point, it looks like they all come from the same factory, and while my sample of one worked as advertised, I wouldn't say this is a high quality product, or that it is any different from the others advertised. It took a few passes for me to demagnetize my watches, but it worked fine, and was certainly worth the ~$15. I'd have spent more shipping the watches to their respective service centers.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

UPDATE:

Got an email from Mark Sirianni. My Omega Seamaster will be shipped back Monday morning via FedEx (insured).

Total cost: $175 for the service, $25 for the insured shipping (signature required)...$200

I'll report back following receipt.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Can't you go to a store and ask if you can run your match over those things they used to disable the glued-in anti-theft things?
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Got my Omega Seamaster back from Mark Sirianni in Kane, PA today. Three weeks and one day from the date he received it. (Right on schedule according to what he advises via his site and email.)

Watch looks great, cleaned and polished up. I've set the time and date and will check to see how it handles accuracy and the power reserve. So far, so good.

Price was as advertised for Seamaster overhaul plus return shipping. No additional charges for parts or labor.
    Last edited by blues; 10-09-2019 at 02:01 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List