Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Watch Repair

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Sorry to hear about the watch repair @blues. Hope it works out for you.
    Thanks, Rich. I'm trying to keep it in perspective. It's not like the dog is sick or something important. Appreciate the good thought.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Don't feel bad, mines not looking too good either. I had a jeweler demagnetize it and now it has picked up some binding in the stem. I love the watch and I'm really considering sending it to Seiko, at least I know how their service has been on my other watches. Cost is a wash over a new one. I'm wearing my orange monster air diver for now, it came back from service at +6 seconds a week and settled in at +1.75 a day. My other air diver runs -2.5 a day neither were not any where that accurate when they were new.

We must be sitting over a lode of iron ore.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    We must be sitting over a lode of iron ore.
    Funny you should say that... Years ago I run into a research team from NOAA out in the middle of the woods on the ridge in front of my house. They were trying to find out why there were so many lighting strikes along that ridge. Their theory was it was because the bedrock had an unusually high amount of iron in it. I speculated that it was because the ridge was the edge of the blue ridge escarpment and the lighting had no choice but to hit there. They LOLed and looked at each other like "why didn't you think of that". They were kind enough to send me a copy of their report on the findings. It had my theory in it and had me listed as one of the contributors. Teenaged my thought is was cool.

Quote Originally Posted by FES313 View Post
    Funny you should say that... Years ago I run into a research team from NOAA out in the middle of the woods on the ridge in front of my house. They were trying to find out why there were so many lighting strikes along that ridge. Their theory was it was because the bedrock had an unusually high amount of iron in it. I speculated that it was because the ridge was the edge of the blue ridge escarpment and the lighting had no choice but to hit there. They LOLed and looked at each other like "why didn't you think of that". They were kind enough to send me a copy of their report on the findings. It had my theory in it and had me listed as one of the contributors. Teenaged my thought is was cool.
    I can just picture the scene and that's pretty cool, what they did. Lord knows we get enough lightning in our area.

Regarding watches...my Omega should be delivered back to Mark Sirianni tomorrow. Fingers crossed for a quick and proper resolution to the matter.

Just got the watch back from Mark Sirianni (round 2).

He had discovered upon its return that the third wheel had a bad lower pivot and as a result ordered and replaced the wheel. Apparently it's difficult to see the lower pivot due to its position in the train. There were no additional charges and Mark paid the return shipping back to me.

In any case, watch is set and I'll keep an eye on it over the next few days to see if all appears in order.

If all is well, it still came out under half what Omega charges for the service.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    One option that I know to be good: send an inquiry to Terry at https://www.toxicnatos.com/

He’s a solid dude (and a vet). Tell him that Sidhe from DWC sent you. His repair guy rules on Seikos, and has rebuilt some pretty messed up Rolex and Omega tragedies. Goos stuff.
    I’m going to post Terry’s info again, just because I’m stubborn like that. He knows his stuff, and is a friend. His wife and teenage daughter (both of whom I’ve hung out with) help him with the biz, too. Just as wholesome as it gets. JMO.

https://www.toxicnatos.com/products/...nt=16541310465
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

24 hours in and the watch (thankfully) is still working.

So, here's what I've observed so far.

Upon getting it back I fully wound the watch manually and set the date.

I was a bit dismayed after about 3.5 hours to see it was running 20 seconds fast...(after setting it to the Official NIST U.S. Time site)

Took it off my wrist shortly thereafter and put it in my watch winder.

Checked it again at midnight and it was still off the same 20 seconds...

...and just checked again and it has not changed.

So, I wonder if was some combination of the watch being discombobulated by a combination of moving around in FedEx vehicles, plus the cold and then being brought in to a warm house and being set. Or the new third wheel and cleaned / lubricated internals just wearing in a bit.

In any case, it's encouraging that the watch has neither gained nor lost time since I first noticed the disparity almost a day ago.

Time will tell. (Pun sorta intended.)

I hope it stays set.
    I was feeling bad about recommending Mark but he did a good job on my watch.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    I hope it stays set.
    I was feeling bad about recommending Mark but he did a good job on my watch.
    Nah, I'd not have given that a thought, to be honest. I appreciate reading reviews, good or bad. Anything can go awry.

I just got home from town and checked it in the winder and it's still holding at 20 seconds off where I originally set it at 1 PM yesterday. So it hasn't deviated since I first noticed the issue 24 hours ago. (And it's been in the winder most of that time since.) I'll take that as an encouraging sign.
    Last edited by blues; 11-16-2019 at 04:52 PM.

User Tag List