Page 17 of 58 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Beto O'Rourke: "Hell yes, we're going to take your" assault weapon

Site Supporter
    This is 100% about culture war.

Name:  9D3A6D3A-8088-450A-A600-F37C83F4F16C.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  69.1 KB
    Last edited by HCM; 09-15-2019 at 12:03 PM.

Site Supporter
    Like I said, the guns end up in the basement (waiting for the "Revolution" over Medicare for All) or turned in when you croak.

Beto was a blessing in disguise to crystallize the debate (just as Bernie and Warren crystallized the health care argument with What the Hell I'm I Talking About Joe).

You either have to:

1. Seize them all. No new ones
    2. No new ones and grandfather them in for existing owners and no passing them on.
    3. Keep them but registered them and ban higher capacity mags.

So far the other candidates just blather without specifics. Beto pushes them to be specific.

Beto also, according to most commentators and already said - did give reality to we are coming for your guns. Uncle Elmo can still still sit his lard ass in his deer blind will not cut it as supporting the 2nd Amend., Amy. Note my lard ass has sat in a blind so I can say that.

Booker - treat them as MGs and license them - will that fly if they aren't seized? Huh?

Ban the import of AR-15s, Kamala - learn where they come from and the difference between an AR and AK. Ban the thing that goes up.

You get the point, cliches don't count.

The media really don't understand the issue for the most part. I heard Andrea Mitchell horrified that new TX laws allowed open carry in schools and churches!!

I would like to push the candidates on these:

Do you support shall issue concealed carry laws that currently on in place in approx. 45 states?
    Screw OC, sorry for those true believers for the moment. Really see if they get SD isues.

Do you support this thesis from liberal Senator Hubert Humphrey?

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." -- Senator Hubert H. Humphrey (D-Minnesota)"

Given that you think BadOrangeMan is a precursor of tyranny, what do you think of Humphrey's statement?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    This is 100% about culture war.

Name:  9D3A6D3A-8088-450A-A600-F37C83F4F16C.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  69.1 KB

Well, conservatives didn't learn that lesson either and have tried to ban sexuality for thousands of years. It took SCOTUS to get folks from being the crotch police in several decisions. However, the crotch police impulse is still alive and well for some on the right. Maybe SCOTUS, can take a lesson from their actions on sexuality and finally nail the liberty denying gun laws?

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    This is the driving force behind the National Popular Vote movement. It’s an end run to give urban areas powers they were intentionally denied by the founding fathers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation...rstate_Compact
    We go over this with every presidential election. States and parties determine how they select their delegates and that isn't going to change. 12A provides for states and parties to elect the delegates to the conventions, as it should be.

Personally I don't want to get rolled by a bunch of pavement dwellers in blue states with large urban populations. It's bad enough dealing with the popular vote for a governor in a blue state.

If there ever was a popular vote for POTUS this country would cease to be a republic. We're getting pretty close to that anyway with federal control over the banks, deficit spending and the nat'l guard.

All one has to do is look at how totally FUBAR congress is to understand how popular vote without term limits can get you into some serious trouble.

I would be in favor of a popular vote for POTUS if contributions were capped (1K) and PACS were totally eliminated. Never happen.
    Last edited by Borderland; 09-15-2019 at 01:09 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post
    Colion Noir really socks it to Beto in this video. IMHO Colion is possibly the best spokesman for the pro gun side.

Sorry, it is a long thread that I have been reading over days. I am not sure if anyone posted this already.

Colion is real good with a script and time to primp before the camera.

He sucks off the cuff. Off the cuff he gets caught out and doesn't think well on his feet. He's close to what we need, an educated, well-spoken, experienced, person-of-color, but he can't control his temper tantrums when he gets caught out and that's a non-starter. He's like a Black Trump, but without the money and sound-bites.

Someone who can maintain a level head, even when they are "losing" a debate, without raising their voice or losing their temper is what we need. Gun owners are already painted often enough with the "man child" brush. Spend 10 minutes rolling through Noir's Instagram and you'll basically see he can't handle it when people comment negatively on a fucking Instagram post. Hard pass on him as a long-term representative and spokesperson for our side.

I've tried showing Noir to folks and they just see an angry black conservative who comes across as holier-than-thou. I see it too, hard pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Which may help him towards the nomination, but that's all. In the general election, winning 85% of NY is no better than winning 51%.

That's what those fools touting the national polls keep forgetting: We don't vote for any Federal office on a national level.
    This. So much this. Which is important.

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    It’s much better for a Republican candidate to painted in this light than as someone who helped pass gun control legislation. If they want to keep the majority of their voter base that is.
    Maybe. It's not the base they need to keep often, it's the swing-votes in the swing-states. I'm not saying going in on gun control is a good proposition for someone who narrowly won the base in their last election (it isn't). But not allowing yourself to be painted poorly to the swing-voters in swing-states is a good strategy.

There are ways to spin this in their favor. The first and most important one is to actually read the fucking content of the bills, find the nuanced details of them, hold them in your pocket for debates and sound-bites that basically demonstrate that you aren't just pulling it out of your ass, but in fact can demonstrate such details are the intentions of your political enemies. Trump is, unfortunately, not smart enough to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by fixer View Post
    Can this issue be framed from a perspective of “consent of the governed”?

Beto and the many, many, other folks like him that are on board with confiscation scheme of some sort are thinking about the issue of “gun violence” like a parent with naughty 2 year olds. Kids not playing nice with a toy? The toy gets yanked as punishment and a potential learning moment. It works….

The glaring issue is that the relationship between the governed and the governors is not parent-child, it is an explicit social contract based on consent. Beto et al have completely lost sight and grip of this.

For there to be a true affirmation of consent on removing rifles and other hardware from ‘the governed’ then the 2nd amendment itself would have to undergo referendum for modification. Everything short of this is just a scheme.

This needs to be pressed into the conversation. I’m not a fan of binary or black-and-white thinking but I think this issue needs it. The confiscation discussion, hardware bans, are way too easy to just throw out there. Its too easy to simply assume the executive branch of the federal government can do it logistically and politically. If it were the case that the only way to truly enforce the confiscation was with a modification to the 2nd amendment, then the cost and burden would be way too high.

Want evil black rifles and high capacity handguns off the streets to make you feel safe? Then get your act together and try to modify the 2nd amendment.

Anti-gun crowd: ok…yeah…well…ummm…hmmmm..I’ll get back to you on that.
    So much this. I've given up on talking to people about bans or regulations. Most have no idea how regulated firearms are or the laws in question. They just think no guns = better. They have no conceptual framework of 1) How ridiculous that is. 2) How to accomplish said goal.

I usually start by saying, "There are an estimated 120 guns for every 100 Americans. How are you going to get rid of ALL of those?"

"Well...we probably can't, but..."

"Nope. Solutions don't have "buts" in them."

Which irritates them.

"I have a solution!"

"You do?"

"Yep. Amend the U.S. Constitution. Repeal the 2nd Amendment and force compliance of disarmament through it."

"Well...that seems a little harsh..."

"Then shut the fuck up."

And they usually shut the fuck up. When folks talk about "doing something" what they really mean is, "You do something, while I bitch and complain over here."

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    This is the driving force behind the National Popular Vote movement. It’s an end run to give urban areas powers they were intentionally denied by the founding fathers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation...rstate_Compact
    Fuck them. That's how you get civil fucking wars.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    New term for making a political faux pas: He shit the Beto...
    Love it.

Trump is, unfortunately, not smart enough to do that.
    I wouldn't say "not smart enough".

His reading skills are minimal at best. ADD would be my guess. Almost illiterate. It shows up in his tweets and speech.

Even with someone trying to verbally explain something ADD is going to be a handicap because some things require a lot of detail.
    Last edited by Borderland; 09-15-2019 at 01:06 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Name:  Beto take it.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  27.3 KB

Feel free to steal and make coffee mugs, t-shirts, whatever.
    Last edited by Stephanie B; 09-15-2019 at 01:08 PM.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Anyone: why is there a cannon on this graphic? Maybe I missed it when the first iteration was posted. Apologies if it’s a dumb question; I’m keeping up with this thread in fits and starts. TIA.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Anyone: why is there a cannon on this graphic? Maybe I missed it when the first iteration was posted. Apologies if it’s a dumb question; I’m keeping up with this thread in fits and starts. TIA.
    It's a play on the Gonzales flag:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Gonzales

Sorry if I missed it, but I haven’t seen the point brought up - a lot of arguments for and against an AWB is whether ARs are weapons of war. Many that I’ve seen countering the AWB claim that they’re not, mostly hiding behind the reason that they’re not FA, which isn’t a very stable platform IMO.

Is this a realistic tactic because we think it’s easier to win the side of the argument?

I feel like it’s more dangerous in the long run. Should we not be advocating that the second amendment absolutely meant weapons of war? Was it not written so that the citizenry would have weapons capable of fighting over-reaching government forces? We all (or mostly) know that an AR is a fantastic HD option, but if we toe the line that the amendment is only about home defense against criminals and stick to the losing battle that it’s not actually a weapon of war, that is easily worked into the AWB narrative. It’s like taking one step forward only to take two back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List