Page 15 of 58 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Beto O'Rourke: "Hell yes, we're going to take your" assault weapon

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    Maybe it has something to do with the mentality of being a "Subject" (to the Crown) rather than a Peer. The US Constitution set up a peer relationship between the government and the governed, hence our FU attitude twords regulations. Most other populations see the government being something akin to a parent, and they are the child. Just a thought...

One other thought while I'm in the business of thinking....

In Australia as opposed to North America, there really were no serious predators with the exception of crocodiles, dingo's, and the extinct Tasmanian Tiger if I remember correctly. That may have something to do with it as well.
    The company I work for has a major presence in Australia, and I deal with colleagues there almost every week. One of the top management fellows told me a few years ago that their approach to government is much more passive-aggressive (his words). For example, our offices there are hyper-egalitarian, even top managers sit in cubes the same as the newest hire. He told me things like that were their way of rejecting the British class system. They didn't openly revolt, they just quietly became contrarian. And according to rumor, buried a whole lot of guns under the floorboards.

Take it with a grain of salt, because this came from a well-educated engineer. In remote parts of Western Australia I saw guys driving like they thought they were Mad Max, and I'm pretty sure they aren't quite so philosophical. One guy flipped the bird at a LE with a speed gun, and got away with it.

I'm probably headed there in a couple months, will ask a few more people what they think.
    Last edited by Salamander; 09-14-2019 at 07:16 PM.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    I don't think he's that smart. I think he's desperate and made a stupid mistake.
    That clip of little Bobby F. O'Rourke will be played for decades. Every Democrat running for state or federal office in wide swaths of the country will have to either disown Baby Bobby or lose lots of votes.

WLP is probably rubbing his hands with glee. B.F.O'R has given him job security.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    That clip of little Bobby F. O'Rourke will be played for decades. Every Democrat running for state or federal office in wide swaths of the country will have to either disown Baby Bobby or lose lots of votes.
    Realistically I’m sure O’Rourke’s done the math. He loses a few rural Democrat voters in exchange for exponentially more supporters in hard Democrat cities like Chicago and NYC.

In any event, it’s Titanic deck chairs. Trump’s second term is secure.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    Realistically I’m sure O’Rourke’s done the math. He loses a few rural Democrat voters in exchange for exponentially more supporters in hard Democrat cities like Chicago and NYC.

In any event, it’s Titanic deck chairs. Trump’s second term is secure.
    That’s the kind of bad math I hope he has done.

It’s the kind of bad math that lost HRC an election in 2016.

Unless something dramatic has happened since the sun came up this morning neither New York nor Chicago gained additional representation in the Senate or House, and last I checked, neither place had a vote in the electoral college.

In other words, alienating voters in places that “don’t matter” is a losing proposition, but ego triumphs over good sense regularly.

ETA: I think I am overthinking it - but we’ve just come the closest to a bipartisan “doing something about guns!” legislation since 1994. And suddenly Beto drops this, “Yea, I want your AR15s!” Now Trump and Repubs are likely to balk on legislation. Moving into 2020 the narrative will be that the Republicans “could have done something to save the children but refused!” Now it allows the Dems to paint the Reps as violent children haters. Meanwhile Beto gets a wink and nod for a cabinet position if Creepy Uncle Joe or Native Aunt Liz gets elected.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 09-14-2019 at 09:50 PM.

Site Supporter

WLP is probably rubbing his hands with glee. B.F.O'R has given him job security.
    Please Madam, it BTFM - Bob The Fake Mexican.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post

"Whaddya mean? It could happen."
    The guy doesn't even have the chin strap of his CVC helmet on right (you have to wonder if who ever his "handler" was did this on purpose?). Gomer Pyle looks like George Patton next to this clown. I always weep the fact that the Abrams had to be associated with this jackass.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Please Madam, it BTFM - Bob The Fake Mexican.
    You mean the shot of Irish Cream in a Tequila glass?

Quote Originally Posted by Salamander View Post
    They didn't openly revolt, they just quietly became contrarian. And according to rumor, buried a whole lot of guns under the floorboards.

Take it with a grain of salt, because this came from a well-educated engineer. In remote parts of Western Australia I saw guys driving like they thought they were Mad Max, and I'm pretty sure they aren't quite so philosophical. One guy flipped the bird at a LE with a speed gun, and got away with it.

I'm probably headed there in a couple months, will ask a few more people what they think.
    I've heard the same about the lack of compliance despite the governments big spectacles of guns getting shredded and run over. Makes sense as they have a fairly robust off-roading and overlanding culture over there as well. That said - they face the same issues of urbanization and demographic shift that we do.
    Last edited by Suvorov; 09-14-2019 at 11:18 PM.

Colion Noir really socks it to Beto in this video. IMHO Colion is possibly the best spokesman for the pro gun side.

Sorry, it is a long thread that I have been reading over days. I am not sure if anyone posted this already.

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    Paul Howe wrote an article regarding confiscation in January of 2013, and it's usually the first thing that comes to mind when, "We're going to take them" is bandied about by people who wouldn't be kicking in the doors.
    My way of hitting the like button ten times for this.
    It doesn’t have to be fun to be fun ― Mark Twight

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    Which may help him towards the nomination, but that's all. In the general election, winning 85% of NY is no better than winning 51%.

That's what those fools touting the national polls keep forgetting: We don't vote for any Federal office on a national level.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post

I've heard the same about the lack of compliance despite the governments big spectacles of guns getting shredded and run over. Makes sense as they have a fairly robust off-roading and overlanding culture over there as well. That said - they face the same issues of urbanization and demographic shift that we do.

“Confiscation” is essentially kabuki theatre. Bad guys keep sharing their existing pool of durable crime guns, and will have no trouble finding someone who can steal or smuggle them replacements if needed.

The confiscation process is public theatre: the real seizures happen over time as folks with interred guns leave their property to the next generation: a generation indoctrinated in the Way of Gun Control. The cops then go from house to house taking away preserved firearms from panicked heirs.

Which may help him towards the nomination, but that's all. In the general election, winning 85% of NY is no better than winning 51%.
    The Democrats have bupkis chances at the national level. Trump’s a born salesman; and his die hard supporters don’t answer survey calls. Add in the high chance of electoral college reversals and the Dems are sunk in dry dock. Frankly I think they know this at Dem HQ already and are using the WH run to closet campaign for the REAL race ; midterm elections.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

User Tag List