Page 5 of 58 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: Beto O'Rourke: "Hell yes, we're going to take your" assault weapon

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

No secret that confiscation is the end-goal for those folks and O'Rourke had to say something theatrical to stay relevant.

This may actually end up being a good thing, because when liberals insist, "We don't want to take your ____", we have a convenient sound bite on file.
    You've even got some liberals agreeing with you.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/13/polit...ate/index.html

(CNN) — Beto O'Rourke's best moment on Thursday's Democratic presidential debate -- which also doubled as his best moment in the 2020 campaign to date -- came when ABC's David Muir asked whether he supported a mandatory buyback of assault weapons.

"Hell, yes, we're going to take your AR-15, your AK-47," O'Rourke said to raucous applause from the crowd in Houston, Texas. "We're not going to allow it to be used against our fellow Americans anymore."

The former Texas congressman defended that stance in an interview on CNN's "New Day" Friday, insisting the issue would not hurt his party.

"It's not a concern of mine and that's in part informed by listening to people in conservative parts of America," he said. "And folks are saying, 'Look, I would give up that AR-15 or that AK-47. I don't need it to hunt, don't need it to defend myself in my home.' They recognize this is a weapon designed for war, to kill people as effectively, as efficiently, and in a great a number as possible."

Which, well, count me skeptical that O'Rourke's idea will gain widespread political support. Here's why.

For decades, the National Rifle Association -- and its Republican allies in Congress and now in the White House -- have used the idea of confiscation to win the gun debate. If Democrats were in control, they'd come to your house and take your guns!, the argument goes. It's why gun purchases soared in the immediate aftermath of Barack Obama's election in 2008, for example.

"It depends on if Democrats want to take your guns away," President Donald Trump said in response to questions Thursday about whether some sort of gun control measure might be passed by Congress this fall. "If this is a movement by the Democrats to take your guns away, it's never going to happen."

Up until very recently, the Democrats-want-to-get-rid-of-the-Second-Amendment talk was, like so much of Trump's rhetoric, outlandish and without any basis in facts. Obama in 2008 and 2012 and Hillary Clinton in 2016 expressly made clear they had no interest in any sort of mandatory collection or buyback program.

"Of course Hillary does not support national mandatory gun buyback programs, including those modeled after Australia's program," said a Clinton campaign spokesman in 2016 when the NRA attacked her for allegedly supporting confiscation. "She was discussing voluntary buyback programs, which are drastically different than what occurred in Australia and are regularly run by cities across the America."

That changed -- or at least shifted -- on Thursday night with O'Rourke's comment.

While a mandatory buyback campaign of weapons like the AR-15 and AK-47 doesn't amount to a wholesale gun confiscation, it walks much closer to that doomsday scenario the NRA has spent years painting as just over the horizon if Democrats get into power.

Even if O'Rourke never even sniffs the Democratic presidential nomination, the eventual nominee will have to answer for his support of a mandatory buyback program.

And whether or not O'Rourke is the nominee, Republicans will use his comments to stoke fear and anger in their base -- see, we told you Democrats really want to take all your guns ... just look at this quote from Beto O'Rourke!!!

Is it possible that the debate on guns and gun control has been changed in a fundamental way by the recent spate of mass shootings? O'Rourke seems to believe it has. And maybe it has! But if it hasn't, then O'Rourke just handed Republicans a massive political gift: A club to bash the eventual Democratic nominee with on confiscating peoples' guns.

END OF STORY

cc
    Last edited by ccmdfd; 09-13-2019 at 12:47 PM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Only after a buy back period could enforcement of possession begin.
    That's why they'll go for registration first, like in (insert your preferred Utopia here). After the registration deadline, you can go after the noncompliant without having spent the money to "buy" anything back. That gives them a few decades of taking guns from the hands of the least compliant before they get serious.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    . "And folks are saying, 'Look, I would give up that AR-15 or that AK-47. I don't need it to hunt, don't need it to defend myself in my home.' They recognize this is a weapon designed for war, to kill people as effectively, as efficiently, and in a great a number as possible."
    He just made that up out of thin air. I do not know anyone who said or would say that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Uno View Post
    He just made that up out of thin air. I do not know anyone who said or would say that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Actually, if the someone would give me a bunch of money for mine, I would gladly sell them.

Of course, I would buy something I want even more instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    There would have to be a buy back
    Be a shame if on the way to turn in the guns they all get stolen out of the vehicle (along with a shit ton of ammo and magazines) in the ghetto/barrio surrounding the state capitol complex in Santa Fe.
    Oh well, I don't have to live there...
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Uno View Post
    Fudds actually exist, and they do say that.

I have an older, ex-.MIL friend who argues vehemently that his BAR in .30-06 is all the firepower a person needs because if you can't kill a deer or bear with that, you need more range time.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I think Rep cain should counter the Twitter complaint. Make them prove it is a “threat”.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.

Beto O'Rourke: "Hell yes, we're going to take your" assault weapon

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    Paul Howe wrote an article regarding confiscation in January of 2013, and it's usually the first thing that comes to mind when, "We're going to take them" is bandied about by people who wouldn't be kicking in the doors.
    Are you somehow suggesting that Paul Howe is somehow more qualified to speak on this matter than the tactical skateboard dude Beto brah?
    Sarcasm above^

I remember reading that article when it was written and it is usually my go to when debating people who suggest confiscation will be a walk in the park and how nobody can stand up the the night of the US military turned on its civilians. Such comments usually cone from people who have zero military training or knowledge let alone someone with 1/1000000 the knowledge of asymmetric warfair as Paul Howe has.

The amount of crap that is being spewed by political hacks that have absolutely zero qualifications or even grasp of the facts of the matter is absolutely maddening.

CNN will continue to talk about the brilliance which is Robert Francis while completely ignoring the writings of people like Howe.
    Last edited by Suvorov; 09-13-2019 at 01:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    Right there with you. Didn't vote for either party last go round, but sure as hell will be voting for Trump if this continues.
    If the Democrats learned anything in 2016, it's that turnout matters. We would be wise to heed that lesson as well.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

It's always funny when candidates like Beta and Jay Inslee who have no chances of winning tell us what they'll do once elected.
    Attachment 42507

User Tag List