Page 22 of 58 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Beto O'Rourke: "Hell yes, we're going to take your" assault weapon

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    I love it all, but really it’s the Tusken Raiders (with their sound understood) that crystallizes the whole thing for me.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by t1tan View Post
    I can't pass it up, I hit play every time I see it.
    Yo tambien.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff22 View Post
    I don't know if it is at all likely, but what if O'Rourke suddenly decided to run for the US Senate again?
    He's sort of changed his tune/disguise since running for the senate. Video from 2018:

(I couldn't watch the whole video....lots of blather and nonsense after "Uncle Raymond", but the first minute is notable).
    Last edited by idahojess; 09-18-2019 at 11:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapid Butterfly View Post
    I love it all, but really it’s the Tusken Raiders (with their sound understood) that crystallizes the whole thing for me.
    First time I’ve seen that clip. It’s just so silly and jejune, but I LoL’d nonetheless.

Bonus points for the Ol’ Gregg cameo. And how does one teach a dog to swing a morning star like that?
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    You could have left it at "agree to disagree" without the soliloquy.
    It's RR... his soliloquies are almost a requirement.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapid Butterfly View Post

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post

I don't understand this, not one bit.

But I laughed so ... at least that.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

I still dont get why he (they) arent called out on the misleading proposition of "X NUMBER OF PEOPLE ARE KILLED BY FIREARMS!! WE HAVE TO DO SOMETHING!! SO WERE GOING TO BAN THE FIREARMS THAT ACCOUNT FOR THE LEAST NUMBER OF DEATHS! OF COURSE ITS NOT GOING TO MAKE MUCH DIFFERENCE, BUT WE HAVE TO DO SOMETHING!"

The next question should be (and is to many of us) OK, so when that doesnt make any appreciable difference, what do you plan to ban next, and how far are you willing to go in the name of the greater good? Why not just start there and go for the gold?

Mr O'Rrourke said he believes all the law abiding citizens will turn in their semi auto guns if they are banned, after all, they are law abiding citizens. OK, if you trust them to do that to actually make the ban work (in some peoples opinion), why dont you trust those same law abiding citizens to simply not murder people with their guns? You just expressed confidence in how law abiding they are.

If banned, what is to say that any semi-auto firearm cant be altered to make them manually operated and therefore legal? Seems the simple way to not give up what one already owns, despite the problems with a ban law. Also, why would anyone turn in the entire gun? If its not acceptable to make them manually operated on the original receiver, the parts can be used in otherwise legal manually operated guns. The stripped receiver is the only part that could really be controlled. Im positive there would instantly spring up new industry to make receivers suitable for compliance and use all the otherwise unused parts in existence. The Ruger Precison Rifle is of course the first thing that comes to mind, but legal manually operated rifles based on AR parts are used in England without issue.

If one wants to claim that an altered semi auto can be converted back to semi auto, then nearly all repeaters would be in jeopardy, as there were successful semi autos made from both lever action and bolt action rifles in the early experimental days of self loading arms. This leads us back to the end game question. Many assume we know the end game (they want all guns gone), but the people wishing to ban things arent willing to admit it or havent thought it through as to what the real on the ground consequences will be with otherwise legal guns that they said theyd not ban. Some may actually believe that they can only ban one type thats least used in homicides and somehow all the rest of the firearm related deaths will somehow stop (even if having zero to do with semi auto rifles). Its not a realistic expectation.

Even if a ban on certain types of firearms was somehow successful in removing them from the "streets", which is of course highly doubtful it would be this time since it hasnt been anywhere else, then why does anyone think that it would be any more difficult to get illegally smuggled guns than it is to get illegally smuggled marijuana, cocaine or whatever the drugs of choice are today? Nobody has brought that up publicly.
    Last edited by Malamute; 09-19-2019 at 01:25 PM.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

It's like outlawing magnifying glasses because of the risk of fire.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    It's like outlawing magnifying glasses because of the risk of fire.
    THINK OF THE ANTS!!! OUTLAW MAGNIFYING GLASSES!!!
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    THINK OF THE ANTS!!! OUTLAW MAGNIFYING GLASSES!!!
    Modern Sporting Lenses
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List