Page 16 of 58 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Beto O'Rourke: "Hell yes, we're going to take your" assault weapon

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Which may help him towards the nomination, but that's all. In the general election, winning 85% of NY is no better than winning 51%.

That's what those fools touting the national polls keep forgetting: We don't vote for any Federal office on a national level.
    There are still a lot of suburban-rural "boomers" left and there still will be for decades - and they consistently vote.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    The Democrats have bupkis chances at the national level. Trump’s a born salesman; and his die hard supporters don’t answer survey calls. Add in the high chance of electoral college reversals and the Dems are sunk in dry dock. Frankly I think they know this at Dem HQ already and are using the WH run to closet campaign for the REAL race ; midterm elections.
    Right, and in 1991, the guy in the White House had a 91% approval rating. The serious Democrats sat out the election, thinking both that they'd lose and they might as well let the next generation get some experience at running for national office.

How'd that turn out?

I remind myself that at this point in `07, the smart money was betting on Giuliani v. Clinton. We are still months away from anyone formally caucusing or voting.
    Last edited by Stephanie B; 09-15-2019 at 09:34 AM.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post

ETA: I think I am overthinking it - but we’ve just come the closest to a bipartisan “doing something about guns!” legislation since 1994. And suddenly Beto drops this, “Yea, I want your AR15s!” Now Trump and Repubs are likely to balk on legislation. Moving into 2020 the narrative will be that the Republicans “could have done something to save the children but refused!” Now it allows the Dems to paint the Reps as violent children haters. Meanwhile Beto gets a wink and nod for a cabinet position if Creepy Uncle Joe or Native Aunt Liz gets elected.
    It’s much better for a Republican candidate to painted in this light than as someone who helped pass gun control legislation. If they want to keep the majority of their voter base that is.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Site Supporter
    Can this issue be framed from a perspective of “consent of the governed”?

Beto and the many, many, other folks like him that are on board with confiscation scheme of some sort are thinking about the issue of “gun violence” like a parent with naughty 2 year olds. Kids not playing nice with a toy? The toy gets yanked as punishment and a potential learning moment. It works….

The glaring issue is that the relationship between the governed and the governors is not parent-child, it is an explicit social contract based on consent. Beto et al have completely lost sight and grip of this.

For there to be a true affirmation of consent on removing rifles and other hardware from ‘the governed’ then the 2nd amendment itself would have to undergo referendum for modification. Everything short of this is just a scheme.

This needs to be pressed into the conversation. I’m not a fan of binary or black-and-white thinking but I think this issue needs it. The confiscation discussion, hardware bans, are way too easy to just throw out there. Its too easy to simply assume the executive branch of the federal government can do it logistically and politically. If it were the case that the only way to truly enforce the confiscation was with a modification to the 2nd amendment, then the cost and burden would be way too high.

Want evil black rifles and high capacity handguns off the streets to make you feel safe? Then get your act together and try to modify the 2nd amendment.

Anti-gun crowd: ok…yeah…well…ummm…hmmmm..I’ll get back to you on that.

Right, and in 1991, the guy in the White House had a 91% approval rating. The serious Democrats sat out the election, thinking both that they'd lose and they might as well let the next generation get some experience at running for national office.

How'd that turn out?

I remind myself that at this point in `07, the smart money was betting on Giuliani v. Clinton. We are still months away from anyone formally caucusing or voting.
    This is true. It's too early. However, it doesn't matter. . Constantly increasing gun control up to the confiscation is the essential part of their program. That's who they are.

Which may help him towards the nomination, but that's all. In the general election, winning 85% of NY is no better than winning 51%.

That's what those fools touting the national polls keep forgetting: We don't vote for any Federal office on a national level.
    This is the driving force behind the National Popular Vote movement. It’s an end run to give urban areas powers they were intentionally denied by the founding fathers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation...rstate_Compact
    Last edited by HeavyDuty; 09-15-2019 at 10:12 AM.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Hot take: Beto explicitly calling for confiscation was the best thing that could happen for gun rights rn. The NRA have proven consistently unwilling to challenge Trump when he wanders into gungrabber territory, so maybe having a Democrat throw bombs like this will get them off their ass.

FWIW, this morning on Meet The Press someone said that legislators working on milder gun control legislation have said that Beto just made their lives harder. That's always welcome.
    Last edited by perlslacker; 09-15-2019 at 10:38 AM.

New term for making a political faux pas: He shit the Beto...
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Site Supporter
    I prefer the subtlety of the second one, but the actual flag has the words on it.

Too bad I don't do bumper stickers, it would get more exposure. Gonna make one of these a lawn sign.

Name:  DRF 1s.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  62.6 KB

or................................................ .................................................. ...........

Name:  DRF 2s.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  47.0 KB
    Last edited by RoyGBiv; 09-15-2019 at 10:56 AM.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    The confiscation process is public theatre: the real seizures happen over time as folks with interred guns leave their property to the next generation: a generation indoctrinated in the Way of Gun Control. The cops then go from house to house taking away preserved firearms from panicked heirs.
    QFT.

In CA, they haven't gone for short-term confiscation, but the registration regulation is a generational-timescale confiscation.

A registered "assault weapon" is not heritable in CA. Under current law, you can keep it until you die, but you better move it out of the state before you die if you want your heirs to be able to take possession. I haven't heard any cases of the man coming around to collect the registered property of the deceased, but it would be a natural extension of the existing "knock and talk" practices regarding disqualifying life events occurring involving people with the same first and last name as owners of registered firearms.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List