Page 12 of 58 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Beto O'Rourke: "Hell yes, we're going to take your" assault weapon

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanye Wyoming View Post
    Attachment 42534

Kaitlin is not my daughter but she might as well be. When there was similar nonsense last December, I bought a “modern sporting rifle” as a Christmas present to myself for no other reason than f*ck you. I have absolutely no current use for one, it’s still in the box waiting for me to find some time and patience to read the manual, watch some videos and take it out for a spin, and whether that will happen within the next two years is an unsettled question.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    one of my MD PhD classmates - not exactly a 'gun guy' - is building his first AR-15 (and first rifle) this weekend for the same reason.

I may have encouraged him, ever so slightly...
    Quote Originally Posted by Whirlwind06 View Post
    I wonder if he fell on his sword , or took one for the team. Thinking this is part of the long game. Start normalizing the idea of forceable confiscateins, by talking about it.

Plus starting the extreme end of the spectrum, gives lots of room to "compromise"

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

There is a defiant streak in many Americans. I guess it was born out of our rebellion over 200 years ago and deeply etched into the American psyche. It is even apparent in our military where enlisted have far more leeway (and responsibility) and most other armies.

I have known many Brits who in all other ways are in line with American conservative ideology until guns are brought up and then it is as if I'm talking with the craziest leftist from the bowels of San Francisco. I just read an article in a british paper about AK manufacturing in Bulgaria and it was truly apparent that the Brits view such guns as imbued with some sort of unnatural killing magic powers instead of a gun based on 100 year old technology that just happens to have a few tweaks to make it optimal for modern land warfare.

I think many on the Left in the country fail to realize this rebellious streak, they look at how "happily" the Brits and Aussies turned in their guns and fail to realize that we are not (yet) that same people.

My fear now however is that the cat is out of the bag and the idea of confiscation is on the table in a way it has never been before.

Site Supporter
    Lots of good sound bites from that debate. Shapiro's analysis:

Quote Originally Posted by fixer View Post
    Robert Francis triples down on the confiscation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIc1-CrfCXU

Looks really uncomfortable when pressed on details of removing the items from possession.

Essentially, after the mandatory buyback is timed out, he has a vague reference to a vague plan of using LE for confiscation.
    Unenforceable fantasy in my opinion. The only LEO’s I could see violating the Constitution are in states where they were brainwashed as kids like CA, NY, NJ, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Unenforceable fantasy in my opinion. The only LEO’s I could see violating the Constitution are in states where they were brainwashed as kids like CA, NY, NJ, etc.

I actually wonder if CA. isn't dependent on the region. I've met many Cali LEO at the Police Olympics and various conferences. Most of them seem as astounded about the firearms laws that have been implemented in their state as the rest of us are. The military seems to be more of a mixed bag, with many having the same "no civilian needs those" views like Wesley Clark and Stanley McChrystal.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Quote Originally Posted by FNFAN View Post
    I actually wonder if CA. isn't dependent on the region. I've met many Cali LEO at the Police Olympics and various conferences. Most of them seem as astounded about the firearms laws that have been implemented in their state as the rest of us are. The military seems to be more of a mixed bag, with many having the same "no civilian needs those" views like Wesley Clark and Stanley McChrystal.
    Agreed. It was just easier to say CA than name a bunch of cities. That could be said of many liberal strongholds. The rural areas of their states don’t always fall in lock step with the snowflake city dwellers.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Agreed. My experience is that the US Military is a very mixed bag - it is almost as if some dudes 240+ years ago knew what they were doing......

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Agreed. My experience is that the US Military is a very mixed bag - it is almost as if some dudes 240+ years ago knew what they were doing......
    Preposterous!

(A much better example of "some people did something".)
    Last edited by blues; 09-14-2019 at 12:00 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Yet they (LEO) still work for those agencies and do what's required of them to keep their jobs. Sheriffs are elected in CA so politics will always be a huge factor demographically.

I wouldn't want to be a LEO in CA. If you are you have my respect.
    Last edited by Borderland; 09-14-2019 at 01:21 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Agreed. It was just easier to say CA than name a bunch of cities. That could be said of many liberal strongholds. The rural areas of their states don’t always fall in lock step with the snowflake city dwellers.
    Living here, I’d say another part of the dynamic is even in liberal cities you’ve got maybe 1/3 libertarian-to-conservative. But you don’t hear them due to the 1/3 “average liberal”; 1/3 “OMG literally Hitler!!!” screaming liberals if they run into anyone the slightest bit conservative, and 99% liberal media.

User Tag List