Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why BCM?

Why BCM?

This has probably come up before but in lieu of the current round of recurrent Colt shenanigans, it seems appropriate to me to look at a more properly managed company.

BCM makes good stuff and I like the extra steps in their QC but quality starts at the point of the part being manufactured. The quality of the steel, machining, heat treat, Six Sigma processes, etc.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    ^^^What he said.

You can't inspect quality into a part. They appear to be explaining how they make sure they don't ship junk coming from production processes (vendors) they have no direct control over. Quality management is the art and science (mostly science) of ensuring only parts that conform to spec get made in the first place. I'm sure they do some of that, but this video seems intended to impress people who are relatively low-information about manufacturing, without showing any actual manufacturing.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    You can't inspect quality into a part.
    I've been a product manager for a large valve manufacturer since 2007 and am familiar with these processes. Quality components (purchased or manufactured) start with a rigid specification (material used, manufacturing process, dimensional spec, quality of finish, etc.) and then an in-house QC inspection program to ensure the part meets the specification. It's up to the manufacturer of the finished product to establish the specification of the component (the tighter the spec, the higher the cost) and then ensure the part meets the spec via a rigorous QC inspection process. But it all starts with the specification, regardless of where the part is made.

FWIW, kudos to BCM as I have been consistently impressed with the quality and function of their products.

BCM is a solid choice, to be sure.I stick with COLT ARs though and have purchased LMTs for a genuinely higher-end innovative AR platform, and I use the word "platform" deliberately because of LMT's MWS system.

Quote Originally Posted by FredWyn View Post
    BCM is a solid choice, to be sure.I stick with COLT ARs though and have purchased LMTs for a genuinely higher-end innovative AR platform, and I use the word "platform" deliberately because of LMT's MWS system.
    I prefer Colts but with Colt cutting off commercial sales of ARs, that choice has become very limited.

The AR isn't a platform, it's a weapon. Unless you mount a bunch of crapola to it. Then it becomes a crapola platform.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 09-21-2019 at 09:37 AM.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    I prefer Colts but with Colt cutting off commercial sales, that choice has become very limited.

The AR isn't a platform, it's a weapon. Unless you mount a bunch of crapola to it. Then it becomes a crapola platform.
    The LMT MWS AR system is a "platform" since LMT's MWS technology allows you to use various barrel lengths and even calibers. I get your point, generally, about the misuse of the term "platform" but ... it can and is properly used in certain circumstances, this being one.
    Last edited by FredWyn; 09-21-2019 at 09:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FredWyn View Post
    The LMT MWS AR system is a "platform" since LMT's MWS technology allows you to use various barrel lengths and even calibers. I get your point, generally, about the misuse of the term "platform" but ... it can and is properly used in certain circumstances, this being one.
    I try not to let my pet peeves get the better of me, but this little bastard got out before I could reel him back in. Didn't come when I called and was too quick for me to scoop him up when I laid out a plate of food and waited in ambush. Your post just happened to be the door this one used to sneak outdoors.

A platform is something a whatever (weapon, light, launcher etc.) is mounted to or used from, whether that platform is fixed or mobile. Tanks, airplanes, helicopters, ships, machinegun towers, tripods and so on are platforms. I could even argue shooters are platforms. Switchable barrels just makes the upper "modular".

Anyway, thanks for cornering this pet peeve for me. I'll just grab him my the scruff of the neck and take him home, now.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

So this being a BCM thread, what makes you Colt guys want to buy Colt over BCM?
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Minutiae aside, I bought a BCM because Pat Rogers recommended them. That was enough for me. The stuff in the video is just icing on the cake.

User Tag List