Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Why BCM?

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    The gas analogy was just incorrect. The Jeep Wrangler vs Subaru Impreza was more in line with what you were going for.
    I wasn’t trying to make an analogy with my dumb statement. I was attempting some kind of abbreviated common sense commentary on “you buy a high performance machine you can’t justify putting crap fuel in it”.

I will never mention high octane gas ever again.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    I wasn’t trying to make an analogy with my dumb statement. I was attempting some kind of abbreviated common sense commentary on “you buy a high performance machine you can’t justify putting crap fuel in it”.

I will never mention high octane gas ever again.
    Right, but 85 octane fuel isn't necessarily bad. It's a measurement. Not that it's relevant to the thread, but now you know. 93 isn't necessarily better either.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Right, but 85 octane fuel isn't necessarily bad. It's a measurement. Not that it's relevant to the thread, but now you know. 93 isn't necessarily better either.
    Dude.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Uncle.

Great discussion.

When these threads come up it always seems like the Glock 19 / Colt 6920 decision must be defended. They are fine guns but not all of us have found them to be the best for our use.

While I own a 6920, I don't feel that it is the most reliable AR that I have, and definitely not the most accurate. I know there has been a lot of arguments about the midlength system but my experience with them over the last 10 years has been stellar. One is a BCM, and the other is a Sabre Defense barreled upper, both running a standard weight carbine buffer, Magpul PMAGs. The only time I have seen the BCM choke was when I lent it to a friend and he put some Tula steel cased ammo in it. Not a concern at all as I dont shoot the stuff. They have both seen carbine classes, 3-gun matches, and other shooting events over the last 10 years. I've seen a lot less headeaches at these events with midlength gas systems over the carbine systems.

As far as KAC goes, they make an excellent firearm. The price is what it is because of what it is. My experience with a sample of two has been perfect. A Craftsman hammer will get the job done but it isn't the same as an Estwing
    Last edited by SecondsCount; 09-22-2019 at 03:47 PM.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    When these threads come up it always seems like the Glock 19 / Colt 6920 decision must be defended. They are fine guns but not all of us have found them to be the best for our use.
    They are both the baseline or minimum. Requirements beyond their capabilities or due to specialization change things.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

They are both the baseline or minimum. Requirements beyond their capabilities or due to specialization change things.
    Another way to look at it is that these are both absolutely known quantities with years behind them and massive amounts of data.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    Another way to look at it is that these are both absolutely known quantities with years behind them and massive amounts of data.
    and these facts seem to have different effects on different people at different times in their lives or shooting "career".

I used to buy all sorts of products (guns, cars, stereos, tools, etc.), when I was younger and had more time than money or sense, with an eye towards potential for customization. I was convinced that I had all these special needs, special use cases, and particular requirements that would inevitably require me to customize things to my purpose.

Now that I have more money than time (and probably even less sense), I want off the shelf. The idea of fiddle-fuck just makes my skin crawl, and I've finally realized that ubiquitous and status quo are way more valuable than the number of threaded inserts the product has available for me to bolt more shit onto later.

The more experience I have, in more realms and arenas, the more I realize that this is a near universal thing.

People say that the 6920, or the Glock 19 "don't work for them". That statement means completely different things base on the person making it and their relative experience, skill level, and general knowledge (not to mention maturity).

Here is a somewhat relevant graph I made many moons ago.

Name:  288899_405425856181189_1809895611_o.jpg
Views: 533
Size:  30.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post

People say that the 6920, or the Glock 19 "don't work for them". That statement means completely different things base on the person making it and their relative experience, skill level, and general knowledge (not to mention maturity).

When you shoot pistols at 21 feet and carbines inside of 100 yards, then it probably makes a lot of sense.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    When you shoot pistols at 21 feet and carbines inside of 100 yards, then it probably makes a lot of sense.
    What I probably should have said was
    That statement means completely different things base on the person making it and their relative experience, use-case, skill level, and general knowledge (not to mention maturity).

Of course, we go too far down that path and you'll have someone squaking about how a 6920 or a Glock 19 can't shoot skeet. My original statement was meant within a certain set of (implied, if unclear) parameters.

But I'd draw those lines way, way further out than 7 and 100 yards, based on what I've been able to achieve personally and particularly given what I've seen other accomplish. But hey, if people need to go shoot pistols at 50 yards to be able to rule the Glock 19 out as a viable option, that's cool too.

User Tag List