Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Backpacking Carry

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    I snagged one of these during a sale earlier in the year. Sadly I’ve been unable to get away from the city to try it.

https://gunfightersinc.com/kenai-chest-holster/
    I'm with El Cid on this. I have two holsters for my Gunfighter chest rig, one for a P30 and another for my 629 Mountain Gun. I don't backpack or ruck, though. I got it for winter wear. I wear it over my insulated overalls and under the winter coat. I did try it with a backpack and figured it would work well. Decent accessibility and very comfortable to wear.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Rucking is very different than backpacking in the wilderness with a 70-100 lbs pack while moving 30 miles a day over rough terrain and significant vertical shifts. There is NO way a drop leg holster works in this situation, nor is not using a waist belt a viable option....
    Those are both absolute rules. When cutting weight on a heavy pack, my pistol was the first thing to go. Water, food, not succumbing to hypothermia, and first aid were priorities.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

My last overnighter in the southern Rockies (no big mean critters) I pocket carried a Scandium/Titanium J frame stoked with hard cast .38 +P wadcutters.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by Oldherkpilot View Post
    I'm with El Cid on this. I have two holsters for my Gunfighter chest rig, one for a P30 and another for my 629 Mountain Gun. I don't backpack or ruck, though. I got it for winter wear. I wear it over my insulated overalls and under the winter coat. I did try it with a backpack and figured it would work well. Decent accessibility and very comfortable to wear.
    I've looked at several in leather and Kydex, but I'm not comfortable carrying in the boonies like that without some form of active retention like a thumb break or ALS.

Last year I had been searching for a chest rig to carry a handgun during elk hunting season in Colorado. (bears, cats, two legged varmints)
    A friend of mine makes Kydex holsters (as do I) and had recently purchased a heavy duty sewing machine to sew nylon webbing and leather.
    He worked up a prototype chest rig that is quite substantial and adjustable. But it is more of a rig than I want to use wearing heavy winter clothing and a back pack and carrying a rifle. Too much to put on and take off during the day.
    I found this https://aliengearholsters.com/backpa...-holsters.html and it is working well for my uses. Once the backpack is in place and cinched down the gun (G-17) is quite secure and doesn't move around much.
    I can release the holster with gun inserted from the strap and drop them in the backpack or put the gun back in the holster on my belt when I arrive on stand. Heading back out of the timber I can just clip it back in place in the pack strap,
    Previously I carried right side belt but had no ready access to the gun from under the heavy clothing.
    Very light weight and has active retention using a thumb release.
    Obviously openly carried but up in the timber where I'm hunting easy access is a bonus.
    Thought I'd put this out as I hadn't seen it mentioned in this thread.

Name:  IMG_2300.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  65.7 KB

Name:  IMG_2302.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  59.7 KB

Name:  IMG_2303.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  69.3 KB

Name:  IMG_2305.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  66.7 KB
    Dean,
    “The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.” - Thomas Paine
    "The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."- Antonio Meloni

User Tag List