Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Backpacking Carry

Let’s just get it out there — there is no perfect method of carrying a service pistol with a heavy pack with a waistband, and every method involves compromises. Pick the method that works best for your situation, and remember Clint’s saying that the pistol “is supposed to be comforting, not comfortable.”
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Are we talking about hiking with a backpack, or multiple days of carrying a pack? If it's the latter, I've never had a pack that didn't require me to cinch down the waist belt. No way could I have carried IWB, AIWB.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Kenai Chest Holster
    Hill People Gear bag
    "Sneaky Pete" style holster attached to the pack waist belt.
    OWB hip holster
    AIWB holster

One of those depending on what pack and whether I want to conceal or not.
    Last edited by JodyH; 09-12-2019 at 12:02 PM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Are we talking about hiking with a backpack, or multiple days of carrying a pack? If it's the latter, I've never had a pack that didn't require me to cinch down the waist belt. No way could I have carried IWB, AIWB.
    Even if I could do iwb or aiwb with a hip belt I don't see how I could draw like that

Quote Originally Posted by pastaslinger View Post
    Even if I could do iwb or aiwb with a hip belt I don't see how I could draw like that
    You get funny looks while practicing on the range.

(Functionally, it's pretty easy and only a little slower than normal. Pop the QD buckle and draw like normal.)
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Assuming you're wanting to carry concealed, a fanny pack is a decent way to do it if you're against the chest pack. I like keeping it separate from the pack itself. Fanny pack on first, kinda high, then the pack, then fasten the pack's waist belt under the bag part of the fanny pack. The fanny pack belt should ride just high enough to not get rubbed by the pack or it's belt.

With my osprey Atmos pack I can easily and comfortably carry aiwb. The only problem is sweat.

A safariland with a mid drop is good too.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Yeah, even if it was comfortable, there's no way I'd run that waist strap over an AIWB gun.

I'm sure it's safe and works fine when everything is okay, but if I take a spill I don't want that waist strap interacting with that grip.
    The thinner osprey belts don't interact with my gun/grip at all.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    The thinner osprey belts don't interact with my gun/grip at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Yeah, even if it was comfortable, there's no way I'd run that waist strap over an AIWB gun.

I'm sure it's safe and works fine when everything is okay, but if I take a spill I don't want that waist strap interacting with that grip.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

It's not over it. It's higher on the waist and behind the grips

User Tag List