Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Backpacking Carry

I never had a problem running a strong side holster at 3:00. with any ruck, that said AIWB is great for ruckin'. Perfect, for me.

Concealed, AIWB. No problems with the gun, but I'll get a hot spot under my mag pouch depending on the waist strap and pack load. In cold weather if the gun isn't accessible under parka/layers I use a fanny pack or chest harness.
    Last edited by ST911; 09-12-2019 at 08:32 AM.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

I have a CCW-type (the gun isn't visible, in other words) chest holster for use during active outdoor circumstances, that leaves your hands free.

It has velcro-closed openings openings on either side, giving it effectively-ambidextrous access to the holstered gun inside (which can be oriented with the stocks to the left or right). The front of the carrier has pockets for maps or snacks.

I got it over twenty years ago for snowshoeing with my kids, and don't recall the source/maker, and furthermore it's made of black nylon, so it's not as "grey-man-ish" as it would be if it were a pastel color or had "Hello Kitty" patterns, but it works.

I'll dig it out later and see if it has a maker's tag.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Appendix carry while backpacking doesn't cause sweat to build up? Do you walk at a snail's pace or do you mean that you're drenched from the effort anyway, so it doesn't add to the soaking?

I know when I hike with a daypack, or backpack, having a dry torso is not usual.
    I sweat, of course, but I use a Deuter pack with an "air suspension" and a moisture wicking undershirt so I'm not usually drenched as I get airflow under my pack. I think a chest pack would likely block airflow underneath. With appendix even if I do start feeling a "hot spot" I can just shift it a bit and be fine.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

So you guys AIWB'ing while backpacking, I'm guessing you're not using the waist strap?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    So you guys AIWB'ing while backpacking, I'm guessing you're not using the waist strap?
    I am. The waist strap sits just above the grip.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I use mine, and run the strap right over the gun. I tried above and behind, but then it didn't tension and ride right for me.

Yeah, even if it was comfortable, there's no way I'd run that waist strap over an AIWB gun.

I'm sure it's safe and works fine when everything is okay, but if I take a spill I don't want that waist strap interacting with that grip.

Yeah, even if it was comfortable, there's no way I'd run that waist strap over an AIWB gun.

I'm sure it's safe and works fine when everything is okay, but if I take a spill I don't want that waist strap interacting with that grip.
    Due to weather, terrain, and a high COG I tend to fall somewhat routinely.

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Due to weather, terrain, and a high COG I tend to fall somewhat routinely.

No, those are called TIAs.

God damned hard headed paragods convinced they don't have a medical problem......

User Tag List