Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Backpacking Carry

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    It's not over it. It's higher on the waist and behind the grips
    Which is why I wrote that I'd have a concern with a belt worn over the gun.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Which is why I wrote that I'd have a concern with a belt worn over the gun.
    I wouldn't want a belt over the gun either.

For open carry on a pack belt, I like the Tactical Tailor holster:

https://www.tacticaltailor.com/lowprofileholster.aspx

For concealed carry, I’ve been trying a HPG Kit 2, but am finding it hot, sweaty, and hard to interface with pack straps.

I’ve used safepackers, but only for G26 and smaller.

AIWB works great for me, but only for a beltless daypack.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I like the hill people gear kit bag. I have the runners and just recently got the original v2. They make carrying a handgun with a backpack very easy and convenient. Definitely worth a look and can be used for more than just carrying a gun
    Instagram: sometimesishootCs

Site Supporter
    For the last 5 years I have been using the HPG kit bag. Works well enough for me, though open carry in the remote mountains seems better. Just have not tried it.

Usually if I'm out in the sticks I have my binos with me and carry them in an FHF chest rig. I'll clip a Razco holster underneath it and carry that way.
    The gunfighters Inc Kenai holster is an excellent way to do this without the bino harness, so is the HPG bag, especially if you'd rather not have the gun visible.

The downsides to carrying on your chest is it gets hotter and sweat will build up. Taking layers on and off becomes a pain in the ass. The pros are that if you drop pack you will retain the gun on your body without any extra steps.

If I don't have my binos but I'm carrying a pack with a waistbelt Tony made me a OWB holster for a G20 using QMS straps that I can run around an empty belt pouch and then transfer to my pants belt when I drop the pack. I can also do this with an AIWB holster with the soft loops. Ive done this with a g48 and a Beretta 92 when I wasn't worried about big bears.The AIWB holster rides between the waist belt and the empty pouch, although it's a bit harder to draw that way.

The downsides to this method is primarily that the pistol is attached to the pack. If you put the pack down, it's really easy to talk yourself out of transferring the holster to your person if you're planning on putting the pack back on quickly. I also don't like the idea of slamming my pistol into the dirt/snow as the belt flops around putting the pack down.

I have no idea how people can run an AIWB holster with a pack belt over the top, but if that works for you, rock on, you're fortunate that you don't have much of a dilemma to solve.

ETA: I'm not a big fan of drop legs, but I have used them in the past. They kinda solve both the issue of retaining the gun when dropping the pack, and dealing with easily taking layers on and off. But.... it's a drop leg, and I personally hate anything strapped to my thighs. These methods all boil down to what compromises you can live with.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by pyrotechnic; 09-12-2019 at 10:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SAWBONES View Post
    I have a CCW-type (the gun isn't visible, in other words) chest holster for use during active outdoor circumstances, that leaves your hands free.

It has velcro-closed openings openings on either side, giving it effectively-ambidextrous access to the holstered gun inside (which can be oriented with the stocks to the left or right). The front of the carrier has pockets for maps or snacks.

I got it over twenty years ago for snowshoeing with my kids, and don't recall the source/maker, and furthermore it's made of black nylon, so it's not as "grey-man-ish" as it would be if it were a pastel color or had "Hello Kitty" patterns, but it works.

I'll dig it out later and see if it has a maker's tag.

It was from Active Pro Gear.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    So you guys AIWB'ing while backpacking, I'm guessing you're not using the waist strap?
    No. I don't ever use a waist belt, with any ruck.

Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    No. I don't ever use a waist belt, with any ruck.
    That's a bit odd. Have you tried it?

Carrying a 70-100 lbs pack on multi-week PCT and similar treks I definitely need a waist belt......typically use a pouch on the waist belt or a chest pouch.

On 30-40 lbs rucks w/o waist belt, then AIWB is the way I go.
    Last edited by DocGKR; 09-14-2019 at 12:40 PM.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

User Tag List