Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Backpacking Carry

Quote Originally Posted by krax View Post
    That's a bit odd. Have you tried it?
    Yes.

Drill Sgt.s at Ft. Bennings school for wayward boys programmed me never to use it.

Tried it many times, with many different rucks, do not like.

Been ruckin' for 25 years, love it. I just don't like waist belts. To each their own.

Site Supporter
    Reading this highly interesting thread reminded me that years ago I owned and used a Kramer paddle holster made for my 2.5 inch Model 19. The rig worked for me as I went walked in hill and dale. Might not this design fit needs of some searching for a solution? Let me jump up(?) and admit that old arthritics may have minimal credibility in a thread pertaining to hiking.

Quote Originally Posted by krax View Post
    That's a bit odd. Have you tried it?
    Most army don’t. Gets in the way of all the other stuff we have to carry too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1)For light packs, that have a non-padded waistband that's just flat 2 inch webbing or whatever, I use a Safepacker.

2)For heavy packs with e.g. a six inch wide padded hip belt, when the 329PD came out I had a holster maker make a custom cordura one. It has the conventional belt loop inboard, and a similar 'belt' loop on the outboard side. Heavy packs usually have a supporting strap that runs from the lower corner of the pack to the 2 o'clock position on the main hip belt (the 6 inch wide belt is usually 'wrap around', i.e. it only attaches to the pack at the six o'clock location). That leaves a little triangularish location between the main belt and the supporting strap. I run the supporting strap through the outboard 'belt' loop on the holster and the gun sits tucked in the triangularish 'hole' between the pack, the main belt, and the support strap. When I make camp/go scrambling after dinner/etc I just use the holster like a normal belt holster.

I've been really happy with the system.

The bad news: I went looking for that holster maker a year or so ago, because I wanted another one. I couldn't find him, alas. All I can remember is that he was in Idaho. If anyone has a lead...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Most army don’t. Gets in the way of all the other stuff we have to carry too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    And slows down dumping the ruck in a hurry when needful.

Context is a thing. We're talking about backpacking in civilian setting, right?

I've had quite a bit of time under a ruck in the military (just under 20 years; airborne/SOF). Starting out, the waist belt on the ALICE pack was always taped up to the frame to where it couldn't snag on anything. It wasn't much of a waist belt anyway and we never even really discussed using it. I later got into backpacking and "discovered" how much a padded waist belt on a framed pack contributes to comfort. So when quality internal-framed packs were issued through the SPEAR program, I abandoned the old airborne ways and I use the belt whenever appropriate. My back thanks me.

Sometimes you can't afford to wear the waist belt on a ruck, but if we're talking about backpacking, where it's ok to actually enjoy yourself, why not be comfortable and wear the backpack the way it was designed?

This just popped up on my feed from Eberlestock. Have not tried it though. The Hatchet Holster Mount or Mount + holster. Attaches to pack's waistband molle and claims to be universal to all current shells like safariland.

https://youtu.be/0BVuR4n2KvA

For winter hikes and snowshoeing in the NH White Mountains I’ve found the Ribz Front Pack to work well. The holstered pistol goes in a crossdraw/tanker position with some paracord securing the holster in the pouch, that way once I’ve opened the zipper I can just pull the pistol out and the holster will stay put. The other pouch will hold maps, a few snacks, maybe my cell for photos. My pack then goes on after the Front Pack. I don’t use it in the summer as I’m a sweat hog.

https://ribzwear.com

I'm wondering what would be the better solution; a safariland belt low drop or going for a safariland dfa with single leg strap. I think the former is the more attractive solution but I don't know if it would work to get the holster low enough and I am also uncertain if the drops have sizes for 1.5" or 1.75" belts since I sure am not going to be wearing a 2" or 2.5" belt for backpacking in hiking shorts/pants.

Rucking is very different than backpacking in the wilderness with a 70-100 lbs pack while moving 30 miles a day over rough terrain and significant vertical shifts. There is NO way a drop leg holster works in this situation, nor is not using a waist belt a viable option....
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

User Tag List