Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Backpacking Carry

Backpacking Carry

Curious what people's solutions are for carry when backpacking. One thing I've seen is carrying a subcompact in a hip belt pocket but this ends up being a clumsy draw due to the zipper and being in condition 3 for safety without modifying the pocket.

Other things I'm aware of are the hill people gear bag which doesn't appeal to me, off body carry which appeals to me the least, drop leg with a safariland dfa and single leg strap, and a chest holster. I suppose aiwb or iwb is possible but it seems like it would be a terrible draw and extremely uncomfortable while moving.

The drop leg with dfa and chest holster ideas speak to me the most especially since you can theoretically just switch out safariland holsters on the rig. I am somewhat worried that the dfa will make long treks uncomfortable/lead to accelerated arthritis due to the unbalanced load. The chest rig is probably a slower draw and seems like it could get in the way of the chest strap of packs but it is at least balanced.

Any thoughts?

Site Supporter
    Last year hunting out west, I carried my M&P 2.0 in a Safariland ALS holster (5280?) with a Safariland drop belt attachment (not a thigh rig). That got the pistol low enough to clear my ruck. Bought the holster used and cheap off eBay. I was not trying to conceal just clear the ruck waist strap.

At different times, when carrying a substantial pack I have used appendix, a chest or shoulder rig, acSafariland drop rig or a Wilderness Safepacker on the pack waist belt.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I have run the HPG bag both using the harness and wearing that underneath the pack, as well as simply grim-loc’ed to the backpack shoulder straps. Neither was ideal and made dumping the pack at resting stops a PITA. But, it was the only way I could figure out to have reasonable access to a real pistol while on the trail. I am sure I’m overloaded the HPG bag and that did not help things.

Kit Badger *just* posted a vid wherein he was able to attach a Safariland holster to the hip belt on his pack. That is a lot more visible / higher profile than I would like, but it is a solution.

I will be revisiting the HPG bag soon. I suspect if not overloaded, and in cold(er) weather, it might end up being decent.

I snagged one of these during a sale earlier in the year. Sadly I’ve been unable to get away from the city to try it.

https://gunfightersinc.com/kenai-chest-holster/

Hammertime
    I am in the Safepacker camp. I have ridden bikes and hiked many, many miles with them. I take another holster along AIWB for camp duties when I drop the pack.

For shorter hikes with an unbelted pack, I just use my usual holster.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    Last year hunting out west, I carried my M&P 2.0 in a Safariland ALS holster (5280?) with a Safariland drop belt attachment (not a thigh rig). That got the pistol low enough to clear my ruck. Bought the holster used and cheap off eBay. I was not trying to conceal just clear the ruck waist strap.
    I think I might go with this or at least give it a try.

The safepacker reminds me of an idea I had for osprey lumbar packs but it doesn't help when wearing a pack with a waist/hip belt

Site Supporter
    I use a fanny pack when backpacking. Typically carries within a small handgun (J frame or Walther PPS), stripped down wallet, and car keys. The compartment part sits pretty comfortably and unobtrusively below the buckle of the backpack waist belt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Backpacking is the only time I appendix carry. It doesn't interfere with any straps, cause sweat to build up, and remains accessible and in my control at all times.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Backpacking is the only time I appendix carry. It doesn't interfere with any straps, cause sweat to build up, and remains accessible and in my control at all times.
    Appendix carry while backpacking doesn't cause sweat to build up? Do you walk at a snail's pace or do you mean that you're drenched from the effort anyway, so it doesn't add to the soaking?

I know when I hike with a daypack, or backpack, having a dry torso is not usual.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List